-   -   AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/4807-amd64-livecd-2007-0-problem.html)

David Relson 11-25-2007 05:46 PM

AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem

This morning I decided that it's finally time up update Gentoo to match
the new mobo & CPU installed several months ago.

First 2 attempts to boot from the LiveCD complained of an X
configuration error. This didn't seem quite right as the video is
simply the ASUS M2A-VM HDMI's on mobo video. However I did want a
command line and got it, so things were more or less OK.

The "less OK" part is that I wanted to use the following partition map:
/dev/hda1 31 MB /boot
/dev/hda6 9.7 GB /
/dev/hda8 153 GB /home
What I got was (if memory serves)
/dev/sda1 /mnt/LiveCD
/dev/hda6 /mnt/cdrom
as /mnt/cdrom was Read-Only, this precluded installing there. So, I
rebooted several more times with the following result:

NMI Watchdog detected LOCKUP on CPU 0
CPU 0
Modules linked in: siimage r8169 snd_hda_intel ...
... swapper Not tainted 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 #1
Code: 7e f9 eb f2 c3 fa f0 ff 0f 79 09 f3 90 83 3f 00 7e f9 eb f2
<0> Kernel panic - not syncing:L Aiee, killing interrupt handler

I've gotten this same NMI error the last 4 times I've booted -- even
using a second copy of the 2007.0 LiveCD that I happened to have.

Any suggestions of what to do?

Thanks.

David

Neil Walker 11-25-2007 06:51 PM

AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem

David Relson wrote:

I've gotten this same NMI error the last 4 times I've booted -- even
using a second copy of the 2007.0 LiveCD that I happened to have

Given that you have stated that you want a command line, dump the
LiveCD. Use the Minimal Install CD or, better still, SystemRescueCD -
which includes many tools which can make life easier during installation
or maintenance. :)

Be lucky,

Neil

believed to be clean.

David Relson 11-25-2007 07:27 PM

AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:51:09 +0000
Neil Walker wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
> > I've gotten this same NMI error the last 4 times I've booted -- even
> > using a second copy of the 2007.0 LiveCD that I happened to have
> >

> Given that you have stated that you want a command line, dump the
> LiveCD. Use the Minimal Install CD or, better still, SystemRescueCD -
> which includes many tools which can make life easier during
> installation or maintenance. :)
>

> Be lucky,
>
> Neil

Good suggestion! As mentioned my goal is upgrading Gentoo as I've
replaced my Athlon XP mobo with an AMD64 x2 mobo. Is the
SystemRescueCD usable for this?

Thanks.

David

Florian Philipp 11-26-2007 06:52 AM

AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem

On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 15:27 -0500, David Relson wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:51:09 +0000
> Neil Walker wrote:
>
> > David Relson wrote:
> > > I've gotten this same NMI error the last 4 times I've booted -- even
> > > using a second copy of the 2007.0 LiveCD that I happened to have
> > >

> > Given that you have stated that you want a command line, dump the
> > LiveCD. Use the Minimal Install CD or, better still, SystemRescueCD -
> > which includes many tools which can make life easier during
> > installation or maintenance. :)
> >

> > Be lucky,
> >
> > Neil
>
> Good suggestion! As mentioned my goal is upgrading Gentoo as I've
> replaced my Athlon XP mobo with an AMD64 x2 mobo. Is the
> SystemRescueCD usable for this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> David

Every Live-CD/DVD with a 64bit-Kernel, chroot and bzip2 is suitable for
a Gentoo installation.

Dan Farrell 11-26-2007 06:07 PM

AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 13:46:29 -0500
David Relson <relson@osagesoftware.com> wrote:

> This morning I decided that it's finally time up update Gentoo to
> match the new mobo & CPU installed several months ago.

so, is gentoo already installed on the system? If so, you certainly
don't need to restart** to do this.

** you'll need to restart with a new kernel to support new h/w features.

Dan Farrell 11-26-2007 06:08 PM

AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:27:21 -0500
David Relson <relson@osagesoftware.com> wrote:

> Good suggestion! As mentioned my goal is upgrading Gentoo as I've
> replaced my Athlon XP mobo with an AMD64 x2 mobo. Is the
> SystemRescueCD usable for this?

portage is usable for this.