Old 01-23-2011, 04:08 AM

Default Geographical location of an URL/IP-address

Hi,

is there any tool/mechanism to locate a given URL or IP-address on the
globe automatically?
I mean: I feed the tool with an IP-address or an URL and it will
respond: France, Paris

I dont mean a tool, whose output I have interpret.

I want this for batch processing...

Thank you very much in advance for any tool
Bet regards,
mcc

Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Sunday 23 January 2011 06:08:12 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any tool/mechanism to locate a given URL or IP-address on the
> globe automatically?
> I mean: I feed the tool with an IP-address or an URL and it will
> respond: France, Paris
>
> I dont mean a tool, whose output I have interpret.
>
> I want this for batch processing...
>
> Thank you very much in advance for any tool
> Bet regards,
> mcc

Not sure if it exists yet, but you might want to start with the packages with
"geoip" in the name:
# eix geoip
[i] dev-libs/geoip
Available versions: 1.4.5 1.4.6{tbz2} {perl-geoipupdate}
Installed versions: 1.4.6{tbz2}(08:20:04 12/06/10)(-perl-geoipupdate)
Homepage: http://www.maxmind.com/geoip/api/c.shtml
Reverse DNS entries don't exist

* dev-php5/pecl-geoip
Available versions: ~1.0.7 ~1.0.7-r1 {php_targets_php5-2
php_targets_php5-3}
Homepage: http://pecl.php.net/geoip

* dev-python/geoip-python
Available versions: 1.2.4
Homepage: http://www.maxmind.com/app/python

* dev-ruby/net-geoip
Available versions: 0.07 {ruby_targets_ruby18}
Homepage: http://www.maxmind.com/app/ruby

Found 4 matches.

--
Joost

Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 AM

J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> [11-01-23 10:16]:
> On Sunday 23 January 2011 06:08:12 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there any tool/mechanism to locate a given URL or IP-address on the
> > globe automatically?
> > I mean: I feed the tool with an IP-address or an URL and it will
> > respond: France, Paris
> >
> > I dont mean a tool, whose output I have interpret.
> >
> > I want this for batch processing...
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance for any tool
> > Bet regards,
> > mcc
>
> Not sure if it exists yet, but you might want to start with the packages with
> "geoip" in the name:
> # eix geoip
> [i] dev-libs/geoip
> Available versions: 1.4.5 1.4.6{tbz2} {perl-geoipupdate}
> Installed versions: 1.4.6{tbz2}(08:20:04 12/06/10)(-perl-geoipupdate)
> Homepage: http://www.maxmind.com/geoip/api/c.shtml
> Reverse DNS entries don't exist
>
> * dev-php5/pecl-geoip
> Available versions: ~1.0.7 ~1.0.7-r1 {php_targets_php5-2
> php_targets_php5-3}
> Homepage: http://pecl.php.net/geoip
>
> * dev-python/geoip-python
> Available versions: 1.2.4
> Homepage: http://www.maxmind.com/app/python
>
> * dev-ruby/net-geoip
> Available versions: 0.07 {ruby_targets_ruby18}
> Homepage: http://www.maxmind.com/app/ruby
>
> Found 4 matches.
>

> --
> Joost

Hi Joost,

LIFESAVER!

100% what I need! Great! And your email account is in the
Netherlands by the way

Thanks a lot! Have a nice weekend!
Best regards,
mcc

Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 PM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Sunday 23 January 2011 10:22:52 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> [11-01-23 10:16]:
> > On Sunday 23 January 2011 06:08:12 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > is there any tool/mechanism to locate a given URL or IP-address on the
> > > globe automatically?
> > > I mean: I feed the tool with an IP-address or an URL and it will
> > > respond: France, Paris
> > >
> > > I dont mean a tool, whose output I have interpret.
> > >
> > > I want this for batch processing...
> > >
> > > Thank you very much in advance for any tool
> > > Bet regards,
> > > mcc
> >
> > Not sure if it exists yet, but you might want to start with the packages
> > with "geoip" in the name:
> > # eix geoip
> > [i] dev-libs/geoip
> >
> > Available versions: 1.4.5 1.4.6{tbz2} {perl-geoipupdate}
> > Installed versions: 1.4.6{tbz2}(08:20:04
> > 12/06/10)(-perl-geoipupdate) Homepage:
> > http://www.maxmind.com/geoip/api/c.shtml Description:
> > easily lookup countries by IP addresses, even when
> >
> > Reverse DNS entries don't exist
> >
> > * dev-php5/pecl-geoip
> >
> > Available versions: ~1.0.7 ~1.0.7-r1 {php_targets_php5-2
> >
> > php_targets_php5-3}
> >
> > Homepage: http://pecl.php.net/geoip
> > places
> >
> > * dev-python/geoip-python
> >
> > Available versions: 1.2.4
> > Homepage: http://www.maxmind.com/app/python
> >
> > * dev-ruby/net-geoip
> >
> > Available versions: 0.07 {ruby_targets_ruby18}
> > Homepage: http://www.maxmind.com/app/ruby
> >
> > Found 4 matches.
> >

> > --
> > Joost
>
> Hi Joost,
>
> LIFESAVER!
>

> 100% what I need! Great! And your email account is in the
> Netherlands by the way

It isn't actually

But my server and ISP is, so that's probably what you found

> Thanks a lot! Have a nice weekend!

Hope you had a good weekend so far

--
Joost

PS. from the domain, I'm guessing you're in Germany?

Old 01-24-2011, 02:22 AM

J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> [11-01-24 04:05]:
> On Sunday 23 January 2011 10:22:52 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> [11-01-23 10:16]:

> > > Not sure if it exists yet, but you might want to start with the packages
> > > with "geoip" in the name:
> > > # eix geoip
> > > [i] dev-libs/geoip
> > >
> > > Available versions: 1.4.5 1.4.6{tbz2} {perl-geoipupdate}
> > > Installed versions: 1.4.6{tbz2}(08:20:04
> > > 12/06/10)(-perl-geoipupdate) Homepage:
> > > http://www.maxmind.com/geoip/api/c.shtml Description:
> > > easily lookup countries by IP addresses, even when
> > >
> > > Reverse DNS entries don't exist
> > >
> > > * dev-php5/pecl-geoip
> > >
> > > Available versions: ~1.0.7 ~1.0.7-r1 {php_targets_php5-2
> > >
> > > php_targets_php5-3}
> > >
> > > Homepage: http://pecl.php.net/geoip
> > > places
> > >
> > > * dev-python/geoip-python
> > >
> > > Available versions: 1.2.4
> > > Homepage: http://www.maxmind.com/app/python
> > >
> > > * dev-ruby/net-geoip
> > >
> > > Available versions: 0.07 {ruby_targets_ruby18}
> > > Homepage: http://www.maxmind.com/app/ruby
> > >
> > > Found 4 matches.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Joost
> >
> > Hi Joost,
> >
> > LIFESAVER!
> >

> > 100% what I need! Great! And your email account is in the
> > Netherlands by the way
>
> It isn't actually
>
> But my server and ISP is, so that's probably what you found
>
> > Thanks a lot! Have a nice weekend!
>
> Hope you had a good weekend so far
>
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
>
> --
> Joost
>
> PS. from the domain, I'm guessing you're in Germany?

Hi Josst,

yes, my ISPs server is in Germany?

Best regards,
mcc