Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 AM
dhk

Default ALSA - No Sound

On 01/22/2011 08:51 PM, David Abbott wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:16 PM, dhk <dhkuhl@optonline.net> wrote:
>> Can someone tell me why I don't have sound?
> What happens when you;
> modprobe snd-intel8x0 ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; modprobe snd-mixer-oss
> ; modprobe snd-seq-oss

After executing the four modprobes above, nothing happens.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:02 AM
Hazen Valliant-Saunders

Alsaconf will probe the right module for you.

have you run alsamixer? (Or gmixer or whichever mixer you like to unumte the channels with?)

You need to unmute the channells;

--
Hazen Valliant-Saunders Adipl. CISSP ITIL MCSE MCP
IT/IS Consultant

Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Dale

Hazen Valliant-Saunders wrote:

Alsaconf will probe the right module for you.

have you run alsamixer? (Or gmixer or whichever mixer you like to
unumte the channels with?)

You need to unmute the channells;

I will add this. It seems every time I do a install, I have to unmute
the sound with both alsa and Kmix to get sound. I assume alsa controls
the card itself and kmix is sort of like software. You may have hit
something similar here. If even one thing is muted, no sound. Finding
them all is fun tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 AM
dhk

On 01/23/2011 06:10 AM, Dale wrote:
> Hazen Valliant-Saunders wrote:
>> Alsaconf will probe the right module for you.
>>
>> have you run alsamixer? (Or gmixer or whichever mixer you like to
>> unumte the channels with?)
>>
>> You need to unmute the channells;
>>

> I will add this. It seems every time I do a install, I have to unmute
> the sound with both alsa and Kmix to get sound. I assume alsa controls
> the card itself and kmix is sort of like software. You may have hit
> something similar here. If even one thing is muted, no sound. Finding
> them all is fun tho.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

I had all the channels unmuted. I ran alsamixer and
gnome-volume-control to unmute and to verify, but still no sound. In
the /etc/make.conf I have ALSA_CARDS="AC97" set, but I don't think that
matters according to the documentation.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Dale

dhk wrote:

Alsaconf will probe the right module for you.

have you run alsamixer? (Or gmixer or whichever mixer you like to
unumte the channels with?)

You need to unmute the channells;

I will add this. It seems every time I do a install, I have to unmute
the sound with both alsa and Kmix to get sound. I assume alsa controls
the card itself and kmix is sort of like software. You may have hit
something similar here. If even one thing is muted, no sound. Finding
them all is fun tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

I had all the channels unmuted. I ran alsamixer and
gnome-volume-control to unmute and to verify, but still no sound. In
the /etc/make.conf I have ALSA_CARDS="AC97" set, but I don't think that
matters according to the documentation.

Does lspci -k show it is using some sort of driver? Mine for example
shows this:

01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Device 0be2 (rev a1)
Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Device 069a
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel

If yours doesn't show a kernel driver in use, then it is likely a driver
problem. If it does show one, make sure it is the correct one. I
usually use this as a guide:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

Just run the lspci -n command and paste it in there. It works well. If
it shows it is loading the correct driver, something is muted somewhere
or maybe it is as simple as you have the speakers plugged into the wrong
plug. I did that once on my first build. I had two green plugs. Sort
of got the wrong one. ;-)

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-23-2011, 11:26 AM
dhk

On 01/23/2011 07:20 AM, Dale wrote:
> dhk wrote:

>>> I will add this. It seems every time I do a install, I have to unmute
>>> the sound with both alsa and Kmix to get sound. I assume alsa controls
>>> the card itself and kmix is sort of like software. You may have hit
>>> something similar here. If even one thing is muted, no sound. Finding
>>> them all is fun tho.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-) :-)
>>>

>> I had all the channels unmuted. I ran alsamixer and
>> gnome-volume-control to unmute and to verify, but still no sound. In
>> the /etc/make.conf I have ALSA_CARDS="AC97" set, but I don't think that
>> matters according to the documentation.
>>

> Does lspci -k show it is using some sort of driver? Mine for example
> shows this:
>
> 01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Device 0be2 (rev a1)
> Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Device 069a
> Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>
> If yours doesn't show a kernel driver in use, then it is likely a driver
> problem. If it does show one, make sure it is the correct one. I
> usually use this as a guide:
>
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
>
> Just run the lspci -n command and paste it in there. It works well. If
> it shows it is loading the correct driver, something is muted somewhere
> or maybe it is as simple as you have the speakers plugged into the wrong
> plug. I did that once on my first build. I had two green plugs. Sort
> of got the wrong one. ;-)
>
> I can't think of anything else at the moment.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

It looks like it's got a driver from the following:
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0

The full output is below.

# lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb Host Bridge (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
Kernel driver in use: agpgart-amd64
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb LPC Bridge (rev a2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce 250Gb PCI System Management
(rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
Kernel modules: ohci-hcd
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
Kernel modules: ohci-hcd
00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 EHCI USB 2.0
Controller (rev a2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
Kernel modules: ehci-hcd
00:05.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK8S Ethernet Controller (rev a2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
Kernel driver in use: forcedeth
Kernel modules: forcedeth
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Parallel ATA Controller
(v2.5) (rev a2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
Kernel driver in use: AMD_IDE
Kernel modules: ata_generic, pata_acpi, pata_amd
00:0a.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce3 Serial ATA Controller
(rev a2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
Kernel driver in use: sata_nv
Kernel modules: ata_generic, pata_acpi, sata_nv
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb AGP Host to PCI
Bridge (rev a2)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb PCI-to-PCI Bridge
(rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV36 [GeForce FX
5700LE] (rev a1)
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nvidia

Old 01-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Dale

dhk wrote:

[...]

<<SNIP>>
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0

From that, I would think it is working driver and hardware wise, key
word is think. The only things I can think of is something somewhere is
muted or plugged up wrong. Do you have something like this:

root@fireball / # ls -al /dev/snd/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 420 Jan 22 00:44 .
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4380 Jan 22 00:45 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Jan 22 00:44 by-path
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 10 Jan 22 00:44 controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 19 Jan 22 00:44 controlC1
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 9 Jan 22 00:44 hwC0D0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 18 Jan 22 00:44 hwC1D0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 17 Jan 22 00:44 hwC1D1
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 Jan 22 00:44 hwC1D2
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 15 Jan 22 00:44 hwC1D3
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 8 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 7 Jan 23 06:37 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 6 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC0D1c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 5 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC0D1p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC0D2c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 14 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC1D3p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 13 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC1D7p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 12 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC1D8p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 11 Jan 22 00:44 pcmC1D9p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 3 Jan 22 00:44 seq
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 2 Jan 22 00:44 timer
root@fireball / #

Yours may vary a bit so it is just something to compare too. I think we
are using different cards but some should look the same. I list those
because my sound works here.

Can I also assume you have checked to make sure you are in the right
groups for sound? I would think audio would be the only one needed but
since we are grasping at straws, compare to this:

root@fireball / # cat /etc/group | grep dale
tty::5:nut,dale
lp::7:lp,dale
wheel::10:root,dale
uucp::14:uucp,nut,dale
audio::18:dale
cdrom::19:haldaemon,dale
dialout::20:root,dale
video::27:root,dale
usb::85:haldaemon,dale
users::100:games,dale
utmp:x:406:dale
lpadmin:x:106:dale
games:x:35:dale
plugdev:x:999:haldaemon,dale
dale:x:1000:
nut:x:84:nut,dale
wireshark:x:993:dale
root@fireball / #

Again, yours may vary but it may help. This may not help but at least
you can be pretty sure of what it is not. When working on something
like this, am I the only one that feels like Sherlock Holmes? lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-23-2011, 11:55 AM
dhk

On 01/23/2011 07:44 AM, Dale wrote:
> [...]
> tty::5:nut,dale
> lp::7:lp,dale
> wheel::10:root,dale
> uucp::14:uucp,nut,dale
> audio::18:dale
> cdrom::19:haldaemon,dale
> dialout::20:root,dale
> video::27:root,dale
> usb::85:haldaemon,dale
> users::100:games,dale
> utmp:x:406:dale
> lpadmin:x:106:dale
> games:x:35:dale
> plugdev:x:999:haldaemon,dale
> dale:x:1000:
> nut:x:84:nut,dale
> wireshark:x:993:dale
> root@fireball / #
>
> Again, yours may vary but it may help. This may not help but at least
> you can be pretty sure of what it is not. When working on something
> like this, am I the only one that feels like Sherlock Holmes? lol

By the way, that link is really good. It did confirm that I'm using the
correct driver. I checked the plugs and nothing. I think I might try
another sound card. The one I've been trying to get working is part of
the mother board. I'm sure I have a Sound Blaster around somewhere.
I'll let you know if that maks a difference.

. . . and yes I have the following.
# ls -al /dev/snd/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 240 Jan 21 12:49 .
drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 3880 Jan 21 12:50 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Jan 21 12:49 by-path
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 9 Jan 21 12:49 controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 Jan 21 12:49 controlC1
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 3 Jan 21 12:49 midiC1D0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 8 Jan 23 06:56 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 7 Jan 23 07:48 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 6 Jan 21 12:49 pcmC0D1c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 5 Jan 21 12:49 pcmC0D2p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 10 Jan 21 12:49 seq
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 2 Jan 21 12:49 timer

Thanks.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 PM
dhk

On 01/23/2011 07:55 AM, dhk wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Again, yours may vary but it may help. This may not help but at least
>> you can be pretty sure of what it is not. When working on something
>> like this, am I the only one that feels like Sherlock Holmes? lol
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>

> By the way, that link is really good. It did confirm that I'm using the
> correct driver. I checked the plugs and nothing. I think I might try
> another sound card. The one I've been trying to get working is part of
> the mother board. I'm sure I have a Sound Blaster around somewhere.
> I'll let you know if that maks a difference.
>
> . . . and yes I have the following.
> # ls -al /dev/snd/
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 240 Jan 21 12:49 .
> drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 3880 Jan 21 12:50 ..
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Jan 21 12:49 by-path

The Sound Blaster didn't work either. Should I try enabling the
deprecated OSS in the kernel?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Dale

dhk wrote:

[...]

I think that link was posted on here a long time ago and I bookmarked
it. There is another site that I think is Redhat based that is close to
the same thing. I just like the one I posted better. It has yet to
lead me to the wrong driver. Another good thing about that link, on the
left, you can find your mobo by model number and see if everything is
supported before you buy. Real nice and helpful site, even if it is
Debian. lol

Are you sure it is enabled in the BIOS and has the correct setting, if
anything can even be changed? I guess it could be that the audio part
is bad but I still suspect something is muted somewhere. I have ran
into this so many times it is ridiculous.

I don't think it would hurt to try the OSS drivers. If it works, cool.
If not, you tried one more thing and eliminated that as a cause. I
still feel like we are in Sherlock Holmes territory here.

Dale

:-) :-)