Old 01-23-2011, 12:16 AM
dhk

Default ALSA - No Sound

Can someone tell me why I don't have sound? I've followed the
instructions at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml and
everything seems to be working, but there's still no sound. I've also
swapped out the speakers, made sure they were powered on, and the volume
turned up. Also I'm in the audio group and the channels are unmuted
with the volume at 75%.

One thing I did notice is that after running alsaconf there aren't any
modules in /etc/modules.d/, in fact the directory doesn't even exist.
Now if there aren't any modules to load that's fine, but since I don't
hear anything I'm not so sure.

Below is what's on my ~amd64 system.

Thanks.

# rc-update show | grep -i alsa
alsasound | boot

# /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
* WARNING: you are stopping a boot service.
* Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
[ ok ]
[ ok ]
* Restoring Mixer Levels ...
[ ok ]

# lspci -v | grep -i audio
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)

# cat /etc/kernels/kernel-config-x86_64-2.6.36-gentoo-r5 | egrep -i
'sound|ac97|alsa'
CONFIG_SOUND=m
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE=y
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE_PRECLAIM=y
CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=m
# CONFIG_SND_AC97_POWER_SAVE is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_PRIME is not set
CONFIG_AC97_BUS=m
CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_ALSA_SUPPORT=y
# CONFIG_CRYPTO_SALSA20 is not set
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SALSA20_X86_64=m

# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [CK8S ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK8S
NVidia CK8S with ALC850 at irq 20
1 [UART ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
MPU-401 UART at 0x300, irq 5

# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.

# cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.23 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux jenny 2.6.36-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 16:53:04 EST 2011
x86_64
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
NVidia CK8S with ALC850 at irq 20
MPU-401 UART at 0x300, irq 5

Audio devices:
0: NVidia CK8S (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices:
1: MPU-401 UART MIDI

Timers:
31: system timer

Mixers:
0: Realtek ALC850 rev 0
1: mixer10

Old 01-23-2011, 12:51 AM
David Abbott

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:16 PM, dhk <dhkuhl@optonline.net> wrote:
> Can someone tell me why I don't have sound?
What happens when you;
modprobe snd-intel8x0 ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; modprobe snd-mixer-oss
; modprobe snd-seq-oss