Old 01-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Grant Edwards

Default Non-deprecated Kernel support for ATA CDROM?

I've noticed that for quite some time now that ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL
support been shown as deprecated when configuring a kernel.
Unfortunately, that support is the only way I've never been able to
get ATAPI CDROMs to work.

Are we all supposed to rip out the drives and replace them with SATA
CDROM drives?

I get the impression that "Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers"
section is supposed to support ATAPI CDROM drives, but I've never been
ble to get that to work.

What am I missing?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm wet! I'm wild!
at

Old 01-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2011-01-21, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've noticed that for quite some time now that ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL
> support been shown as deprecated when configuring a kernel.
> Unfortunately, that support is the only way I've never been able to
> get ATAPI CDROMs to work.
>
> Are we all supposed to rip out the drives and replace them with SATA
> CDROM drives?
>
> I get the impression that "Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers"
> section is supposed to support ATAPI CDROM drives, but I've never been
> ble to get that to work.
>
> What am I missing?

Doh!

I've been messing with this on and off for days, and 2 minutes after I
posted that I noticed that under "Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers"
I had "NVIDIA SATA support" enabled, but I had overlooked "AMD/NVidia
PATA support".

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! UH-OH!! We're out
at of AUTOMOBILE PARTS and

Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Mike Edenfield

On 1/21/2011 1:07 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> I've noticed that for quite some time now that ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL
> support been shown as deprecated when configuring a kernel.
> Unfortunately, that support is the only way I've never been able to
> get ATAPI CDROMs to work.
>
> Are we all supposed to rip out the drives and replace them with SATA
> CDROM drives?
>
> I get the impression that "Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers"
> section is supposed to support ATAPI CDROM drives, but I've never been
> ble to get that to work.
>
> What am I missing?

Under the Serial/Parallel ATA section is a section specifically for
legacy IDE devices; it's listed as "ATA SFF Support".

From there you just need to pick the correct DMA interface; most likely
yours will be somewhere in the Bus-Master DMA list, "ATA BMDMA Support",
with whatever IDE chipset you have.

You'll also need to enable SCSI CD-ROM support even if your CD-ROM isn't
SCSI; I'd also recommend not enabling SCSI Generic support unless you
absolutely have to; for some reason my CD-ROM drive kept getting hooked
up to the sg driver instead of the sr driver, and udev didn't believe it
was a CD-ROM anymore.

--Mike

Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Dale

I've noticed that for quite some time now that ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL
support been shown as deprecated when configuring a kernel.
Unfortunately, that support is the only way I've never been able to
get ATAPI CDROMs to work.

Are we all supposed to rip out the drives and replace them with SATA
CDROM drives?

I get the impression that "Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers"
section is supposed to support ATAPI CDROM drives, but I've never been
ble to get that to work.

What am I missing?

Doh!

I've been messing with this on and off for days, and 2 minutes after I
posted that I noticed that under "Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers"
I had "NVIDIA SATA support" enabled, but I had overlooked "AMD/NVidia
PATA support".

lol You do like I do. I post then figure it out or find a workaround.
lol Glad I am not alone on doing this. ;-)

Then again, sometimes I post and none of us can figure it out or we
scratch heads for a day or two and some shot in the dark fixes it.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Friday 21 January 2011 20:20:33 Dale wrote:

> lol You do like I do. I post then figure it out or find a

> workaround. lol Glad I am not alone on doing this. ;-)

Very far from it!

--

Rgds

Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:00 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:06:59PM +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote
> On Friday 21 January 2011 20:20:33 Dale wrote:
>
> > lol You do like I do. I post then figure it out or find a
> > workaround. lol Glad I am not alone on doing this. ;-)
>
> Very far from it!

A couple of days ago I was writing up a post about how I couldn't get
my backup dialup connection working on my newer computer. I had listed
all the error messages about not being able find/open /dev/usb/ttyACM0,
despite the fact that it showed up in "ll /dev/usb". About 30 seconds
before I was going to hit "P" (for Post) I glanced down, and noticed
that the usb dialup modem was still plugged into my other computer...
dohhhh. That was too close for comfort.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 01-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Dale

Walter Dnes wrote:

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:06:59PM +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote

lol You do like I do. I post then figure it out or find a
workaround. lol Glad I am not alone on doing this. ;-)

Very far from it!

A couple of days ago I was writing up a post about how I couldn't get
my backup dialup connection working on my newer computer. I had listed
all the error messages about not being able find/open /dev/usb/ttyACM0,
despite the fact that it showed up in "ll /dev/usb". About 30 seconds
before I was going to hit "P" (for Post) I glanced down, and noticed
that the usb dialup modem was still plugged into my other computer...
dohhhh. That was too close for comfort.

That does sound like me. I put my second rig in another room. I kept
getting the keyboards mixed up.

This is odd. I need the ACM0 file for my cell phone to work. I can't
get that file for some reason. Still haven't figured it out yet. I
assume a udev issue but not sure.

Dale

:-) :-)