Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default python wide-unicode problem

Hi,

using Python3.1, if I say
import site

I get

File "/usr/lib64/python3.1/site.py", line 472, in setencoding
sys.setdefaultencoding(encoding) # Needs Python Unicode build !
ValueError: Can only set default encoding to utf-8

But

emerge -vp dev-lang/python-3.1.3 shows
USE="doc gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline sqlite ssl threads tk (wide-
unicode) xml -build -examples -wininst"

Why is 'wide-unicode' in parentheses?
eix dev-lang/python shows
the wide-unicode use flag.

What's going on here?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 PM
walt

File "/usr/lib64/python3.1/site.py", line 472, in setencoding
sys.setdefaultencoding(encoding) # Needs Python Unicode build !
ValueError: Can only set default encoding to utf-8

But

emerge -vp dev-lang/python-3.1.3 shows
USE="doc gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline sqlite ssl threads tk (wide-
unicode) xml -build -examples -wininst"

Why is 'wide-unicode' in parentheses?

Hm. Try using a different tool, like equery u python. Note the warning
about changing that useflag.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Helmut Jarausch

On 01/21/2011 04:26:09 PM, walt wrote:
> On 01/21/2011 12:13 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > using Python3.1, if I say
> > import site
> >
> > I get
> >
> > File "/usr/lib64/python3.1/site.py", line 472, in setencoding
> > sys.setdefaultencoding(encoding) # Needs Python Unicode
> build !
> > ValueError: Can only set default encoding to utf-8
> >
> > But
> >
> > emerge -vp dev-lang/python-3.1.3 shows
> > USE="doc gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline sqlite ssl threads tk (wide-
> > unicode) xml -build -examples -wininst"
> >
> > Why is 'wide-unicode' in parentheses?
>
> Hm. Try using a different tool, like equery u python. Note the
> warning
> about changing that useflag.

Thanks, unfortunately I don't understand the output
I've got
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[ : I - package is installed with flag ]
[ Colors : set, unset ]
* Found these USE flags for dev-lang/python-3.1.3:
- + wide-unicode : Enable wide Unicode implementation which uses 4-
byte
Unicode characters. Switching of this USE flag
changes ABI
of Python and requires reinstallation of many
Python
modules. (DON'T DISABLE THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT
YOU'RE
DOING)

So, I have U- but I+ on wide-unicode
What does that mean?

Thanks,
Helmut.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 PM
walt

[...]

I just re-emerged python:3.1 as a test, and I see exactly the same but
I don't get that error.

For some reason site.py certainly thinks your python3 is built without
wide-unicode. Have you tried re-installing python3 just for fun?

You could try deleting site.pyc and site.pyo as an easy test.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 01/21/2011 10:14:33 PM, walt wrote:
> On 01/21/2011 07:48 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> >> build !

> >> Hm. Try using a different tool, like equery u python. Note the
> >> warning
> >> about changing that useflag.
> >
> > Thanks, unfortunately I don't understand the output
> > I've got
> > [ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
> > [ : I - package is installed with flag ]
> > [ Colors : set, unset ]
> > * Found these USE flags for dev-lang/python-3.1.3:
> > - + wide-unicode : Enable wide Unicode implementation which uses
> 4-
> > byte
> > Unicode characters. Switching of this USE flag
> > changes ABI
> > of Python and requires reinstallation of many
> > Python
> > modules. (DON'T DISABLE THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW
> WHAT
> > YOU'RE
> > DOING)
> >
> > So, I have U- but I+ on wide-unicode
> > What does that mean?
>
> I just re-emerged python:3.1 as a test, and I see exactly the same
> but
> I don't get that error.
>
> For some reason site.py certainly thinks your python3 is built
> without
> wide-unicode. Have you tried re-installing python3 just for fun?
>
> You could try deleting site.pyc and site.pyo as an easy test.

Thanks Walt,
I've noticed that my root account did use an ASCII locale. Now I've
changed that to the same locale en_US.iso88591 that is used in non-root
accounts on my machine. With that I rebuild Python3.1.
And now, the error is gone. A bit strange.
I came along this problem when I tried to emerge the new
package app-portage/smart-live-rebuild
This fails because the author's name contain non-ascii (even non
latin1) characters. The author (Michał Górny) sent me a patch to
distutils.eclass and after generating an utf-8 locale
LANG=en_US.utf-8 emerge -v app-portage/smart-live-rebuild
finally succeeded. He says, it's a Python problem.

Have a nice weekend,
Helmut.