Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 PM
John Campbell

Default Find root partition

On 01/20/2011 01:28 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:35:09 -0800, John Campbell wrote:
>
>>> After the panic I cannot scroll up to check what drives are detected
>>> and which numbering is used. What must I do to be able to scroll up
>>> to see what is logged to the screen?
>>> (is there maybe a special key available, the shift+page-up and scroll
>>> is not working)
>
>> If you're using grub you can use the grub shell to figure that out. At
>> least to the which are detected and numbering phase.
>
> The GRUB setting is fine, the kernel has to load to be able to panic.

True. My specific problem ended up being the root=/dev/hd[a-z] part of
the kernel line.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Matthias Fechner

Hi Jarry,

Am 20.01.2011 17:13, schrieb Jarry:
> I had a movie-camera in mind of course (or photo-camera with
> ability to record movies). You turn it on, point on screen,
> start recording, and after that turn computer on. If it can
> record at least 20fps (my cheap digi-camera can make 60fps),
> it would capture all messages. They would be a little unsharp,
> but still clear enough to read them.

hehe and who would you do that if grub is one your screen, you start the
kernel, the tft needs then around one second to show the picture (i
think it syncs to the new frequency) and then you already have the
kernel panic on the screen

Bye
Matthias

Rich Cook