Old 01-20-2011, 01:46 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default OT: Backing up emails

Am 20.01.2011 15:23, schrieb Matt Harrison:

> I'm hoping someone here has an idea for something that will let me make a copy of all
> his mail, in the current folder structure and replicate it onto another machine.

imapsync that stuff to another IMAP-server in your LAN?
After that backup that stuff to tape or whatever ....

Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 PM
MickaŽl Bucas

2011/1/20 Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@genestate.com>

Hi guys,

I know this isnt really a gentoo question but you always seem to come with an amazing

answer in the end

I've got a friend who uses dreamhost for mail, and he's trying to move away from it to

something a little more customisable.

The problem is that he has around 2.5Gb of mail in various IMAP folders on this

server. I'm trying to find some way of downloading all this mail but keeping in its

current folder structure.

I was hoping fetchmail could do it but it doesn't appear (after a quick read) to

support arbitrary folders. I am almost thinking of contacting dreamhost support and

asking if they can tar up the maildirs and give me access to them via FTP or

something.

I'm hoping someone here has an idea for something that will let me make a copy of all

his mail, in the current folder structure and replicate it onto another machine.

Grateful for any help,

Matt Harrison

I use OfflineIMAP to backup my gmail account using IMAP.
https://github.com/nicolas33/offlineimap

It's easy to configure and to use.

Folders are preserved as it keeps mail in maildir structure.

MickaŽl Bucas

Old 01-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Nils Andresen

Am 20.01.2011 15:31, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
> - Use a Mail-client (thunderbird, kmail,....) to copy them across (copy folder
> should work)

That has always been my choice, too. Never failed me. Never had more
than 1 GB, though.

Nils

Old 01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Thursday 20 January 2011 16:19:40 Nils Andresen wrote:
> Am 20.01.2011 15:31, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
> > - Use a Mail-client (thunderbird, kmail,....) to copy them across (copy
> > folder should work)
>
> That has always been my choice, too. Never failed me. Never had more
> than 1 GB, though.

It works with 20GB+, just takes some time...
I Use this method to copy data from Outlook PST-files to our IMAP-server.

I also used it to move my emails over to the new server last year. Before
that, I used imapsync.

--
Joost

Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Matt Harrison

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 03:46:56PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 20.01.2011 15:23, schrieb Matt Harrison:
>
> > I'm hoping someone here has an idea for something that will let me make a copy of all
> > his mail, in the current folder structure and replicate it onto another machine.
>
> imapsync that stuff to another IMAP-server in your LAN?
> After that backup that stuff to tape or whatever ....

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will take a look at imapsync, it sounds like the
tool I need

And yes, I know 2GB of mail sounds a bit mad...I've tried to convince him to use a
slightly different backup policy but he's adamant this is the way he wants.

I'll give all your suggestions a try.

Thanks

Matt Harrison

Old 01-21-2011, 07:38 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Thursday 20 January 2011 18:07:14 Matt Harrison wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 03:46:56PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> > Am 20.01.2011 15:23, schrieb Matt Harrison:
> > > I'm hoping someone here has an idea for something that will let me make
> > > a copy of all his mail, in the current folder structure and replicate
> > > it onto another machine.
> >
> > imapsync that stuff to another IMAP-server in your LAN?
> > After that backup that stuff to tape or whatever ....
>
> Thanks for the replies everyone. I will take a look at imapsync, it sounds
> like the tool I need
>
> And yes, I know 2GB of mail sounds a bit mad...I've tried to convince him
> to use a slightly different backup policy but he's adamant this is the way
> he wants.

What's wrong with 2GB of mail?
And what other backup policy were you trying to convince him to?

--
Joost