Old 01-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Matt Harrison

Default OT: Backing up emails

Hi guys,

I know this isnt really a gentoo question but you always seem to come with an amazing
answer in the end

I've got a friend who uses dreamhost for mail, and he's trying to move away from it to
something a little more customisable.

The problem is that he has around 2.5Gb of mail in various IMAP folders on this
server. I'm trying to find some way of downloading all this mail but keeping in its
current folder structure.

I was hoping fetchmail could do it but it doesn't appear (after a quick read) to
support arbitrary folders. I am almost thinking of contacting dreamhost support and
asking if they can tar up the maildirs and give me access to them via FTP or
something.

I'm hoping someone here has an idea for something that will let me make a copy of all
his mail, in the current folder structure and replicate it onto another machine.

Grateful for any help,

Matt Harrison

Old 01-20-2011, 01:31 PM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Thursday 20 January 2011 15:23:08 Matt Harrison wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I know this isnt really a gentoo question but you always seem to come with
> an amazing answer in the end
>
> I've got a friend who uses dreamhost for mail, and he's trying to move away
> from it to something a little more customisable.
>
> The problem is that he has around 2.5Gb of mail in various IMAP folders on
> this server. I'm trying to find some way of downloading all this mail but
> keeping in its current folder structure.
>
> I was hoping fetchmail could do it but it doesn't appear (after a quick
> read) to support arbitrary folders. I am almost thinking of contacting
> dreamhost support and asking if they can tar up the maildirs and give me
> access to them via FTP or something.
>
> I'm hoping someone here has an idea for something that will let me make a
> copy of all his mail, in the current folder structure and replicate it
> onto another machine.
>
> Grateful for any help,
>
> Matt Harrison

Hi Matt,

I generally use either of the following two options:
- Use a Mail-client (thunderbird, kmail,....) to copy them across (copy folder
should work)

- Use imapsync (net-mail/imapsync) to copy the email from one IMAP-server to
another.

--
Joost