Old 02-05-2008, 02:52 PM
"dell core2duo"

Default How to avoid installing a particular package(like gcc) in each update

Hi All,
** Each time i run "emerge -auDNv gnome'* some packages got updated each time. I want to avoid continue update of big packages like gcc,glibc, because updating these packages took too much time.
Is there any way i can avoid he same ?

TIA,
flukebox

Old 02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 05 February 2008, dell core2duo wrote:
> Hi All,
> Each time i run "emerge -auDNv gnome' some packages got updated
> each time. I want to avoid continue update of big packages like
> gcc,glibc, because updating these packages took too much time.
> Is there any way i can avoid he same ?

Perhaps you mean 'emerge -avuND world' instead of gnome ? :-)

You can temporarily create a file in /etc/portage/package.mask/ to block
out some big ebuilds. Say you want to leave the latest gcc and glibc
for later, then put this in it:

>=sys-devel/gcc-4.2.2
>=sys-libs/glibc-2.5.1

Do your emerge world, those versions will be ignored. Later on you when
you have time can delete this temp file and rerun emerge world.

There are several ways you could accomplish this result, the above is
what I tend to do

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com