Old 01-19-2011, 03:46 AM
dan blum

Default xorg 1.9

I upgraded my xorg from 1.76 to 1.9 yesterday, including downloading the most recent drivers. When the new system did not work, I checked the xorg log (attached) and I thought that the problem was the mode setting. So in the kernel, I "enabled the modesetting by default" and now the card does not send any signals to the screen at all.

I can go back to the old kernel settings. But does anyone know what was the initial problem, and what needs to be done to correct this.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

I upgraded my xorg from 1.76 to 1.9 yesterday, including downloading the
most recent drivers. When the new system did not work, I checked the
xorg log (attached) and I thought that the problem was the mode setting.
So in the kernel, I "enabled the modesetting by default" and now the
card does not send any signals to the screen at all.

I can go back to the old kernel settings. But does anyone know what was
the initial problem, and what needs to be done to correct this.

Thanks for any advice.

You seem to be using kernel 2.6.32. That *might* be the problem. Try
2.6.36.

Other than that, the usual stuff applies: Delete your xorg.conf (so that
X.Org can automatically configure everything) and make sure you don't
have VESAFB enabled in the kernel.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:57 AM
dan blum

Nikos,

Thanks for the help. My system is looking for the i915 module. Would you know where the module needs to be?

Thanks.

Dan

Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 AM
Dale

dan blum wrote:

Nikos,

Thanks for the help. My system is looking for the i915 module. Would
you know where the module needs to be?

Thanks.

Dan

-

I think it is in the kernel and you just have to built it in.*

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Nikos Chantziaras