Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Philip Webb

Default kernel 2.6.37 : MCE problem

I've just installed & compiled gentoo-sources-2.6.37
& am getting msgs in all my terminals

Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Jan 18 14:32:38 2011 ...
localhost kernel: [Hardware Error]: No human readable MCE decoding support on this CPU type.

Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Jan 18 14:32:38 2011 ...
localhost kernel: [Hardware Error]: Run the message through 'mcelog --ascii' to decode.

There seems to be no change in config options re MCE since 2.6.33 ,
the previous kernel, which doesn't suffer from this internal spam.
My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo. Everything else seems to be working ok.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> I've just installed & compiled *gentoo-sources-2.6.37
> & am getting msgs in all my terminals
>
> *Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Jan 18 14:32:38 2011 ...
> localhost kernel: [Hardware Error]: No human readable MCE decoding support on this CPU type.
>
> Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Jan 18 14:32:38 2011 ...
> localhost kernel: [Hardware Error]: Run the message through 'mcelog --ascii' to decode.
>
> There seems to be no change in config options re MCE since 2.6.33 ,
> the previous kernel, which doesn't suffer from this internal spam.
> My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo. *Everything else seems to be working ok.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what's going on ?

No, but this seems possibly relevant:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02069

Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>> I've just installed & compiled *gentoo-sources-2.6.37
>> & am getting msgs in all my terminals
>>
>> *Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Jan 18 14:32:38 2011 ...
>> localhost kernel: [Hardware Error]: No human readable MCE decoding support on this CPU type.
>>
>> Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Jan 18 14:32:38 2011 ...
>> localhost kernel: [Hardware Error]: Run the message through 'mcelog --ascii' to decode.
>>
>> There seems to be no change in config options re MCE since 2.6.33 ,
>> the previous kernel, which doesn't suffer from this internal spam.
>> My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo. *Everything else seems to be working ok.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea what's going on ?
>
> No, but this seems possibly relevant:
>
> http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02069

And in the meantime you can perhaps boot with "nomce" kernel
commandline parameter to make it stop trying.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Philip Webb

110118 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>> I've just installed & compiled *gentoo-sources-2.6.37
>> & am getting msgs in all my terminals
>> *Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Jan 18 14:32:38 2011 ...
>> localhost kernel: [Hardware Error]: No human readable MCE decoding support on this CPU type.
>> Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Jan 18 14:32:38 2011 ...
>> localhost kernel: [Hardware Error]: Run the message through 'mcelog --ascii' to decode.
>> There seems to be no change in config options re MCE since 2.6.33 ,
>> the previous kernel, which doesn't suffer from this internal spam.
>> My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo. *Everything else seems to be working ok.
> No, but this seems possibly relevant:
> http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02069
> And in the meantime you can perhaps boot with "nomce" kernel
> commandline parameter to make it stop trying.

Yes, that work-around does stop the msgs,
but of course it also suppresses the whole MCE process,
which is not a good idea in general.

I've submitted Gentoo bug 352372 .

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb