Old 01-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Grant Edwards

Default How to mask xfce 4.8?

On 2011-01-18, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> My last update bumped XFCE to 4.8, and I quickly learned that it's
> got some serious bugs. So, I need to roll back to whatever the
> prevous version was. How do I tell portage to not use 4.8?
>
> I tried adding this line in /etc/portage/package.mask:
>
> >=xfce-base/xfce4-meta-4.8
>
> But that does nothing. Do I have to individually mask all 20+
> components of XFCE?

I think XFCE 4.8 was given "stable" status prematurely. Quoting one
of the XFCE apps when asked by a user if it was time to upgrade to
4.8:

Although we've made a lot of development releases; during 4.8.0 the
code gets some real testing. So unless something is 4.6 that bothers
you is broken that should've been resolved in 4.8, it's better to
wait a bit until 4.8.1 or .2.

Trying to roll XFCE back to a version that works is also proving to be
difficult...

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Gibble, Gobble, we
at ACCEPT YOU ...

Old 01-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:22:20 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> But that does nothing. Do I have to individually mask all 20+
> components of XFCE?

Yes, but it's not difficult:

qlist -ICv xfce-base/ | sed 's/^/~/' >/etc/portage/package.mask/xfce-48

--
Neil Bothwick

mandelbug /man'del-buhg/ n.
[from the Mandelbrot set] A
bug whose underlying causes are so complex and obscure as to make
its behavior appear chaotic or even non-deterministic. This term
implies that the speaker thinks it is a Bohr bug, rather than
a heisenbug. See also schroedinbug.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2011-01-18, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:22:20 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> But that does nothing. Do I have to individually mask all 20+
>> components of XFCE?
>
> Yes, but it's not difficult:
>
> qlist -ICv xfce-base/ | sed 's/^/~/' >/etc/portage/package.mask/xfce-48

Nice.

In my case, it masks exo and thunar when it doesn't need to, and it
misses appfinder (and presumably other extras). I should spend some
time reading the qlist manpage. [I still tend to use equery.] Adding
xfce-extras and then grepping for '-4.8.[0-9] would probably do the
trick.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I appoint you
at ambassador to Fantasy