FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-17-2011, 02:42 AM
 
Default Firmware loading problem

Hi,

I have a

bttv0: detected: AVermedia AverTV DVB-T 771 [card=123], PCI subsystem ID is 1461:0771

dvb-t card installed in my PC.

I am running a vanilla linux kernel version 2.6.37 .

Furthermore in

/lib/firmware

there is a folder called

av7110

which I think contains the firmware for that card.

I read, that I need "hotplug" to load this firmware while booting.

I did a

emerge hotplug

which runs fine but gave me warning that I should emerge coldplug.

Ok, so I did an additional

emerge coldplug

which fails with

solfire:/home/mccramer>sudo emerge coldplug
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/coldplug-20040920-r1
[blocks B ] sys-apps/coldplug ("sys-apps/coldplug" is blocking sys-fs/udev-151-r4)
[blocks B ] >=sys-fs/udev-089 (">=sys-fs/udev-089" is blocking sys-apps/coldplug-20040920-r1)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-apps/coldplug-20040920-r1, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
coldplug


If I understand this correctly, I have to downgrade udev from udev-151
down to udev-089 to be able to install coldplug.

Is this really needed? How can I install the firmware?

Thank you very much in advance for any help!

Best regards,
mcc
 
Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Daniel Pielmeier
 
Default Firmware loading problem

2011/1/17 <meino.cramer@gmx.de>:
> I am running a vanilla linux kernel version 2.6.37 .
>
> Furthermore in
>
> * */lib/firmware
>
> there is a folder called
>
> * *av7110
>
> which I think contains the firmware for that card.

I don't think this card needs a firmware. You just enabled to much dvb
related stuff in your kernel configuration which results in the
creation of this folder. I need the av7110 stuff here for my FF DVB-S
card.

What problem do you have with this card, normally dmesg should spit
something out if there is firmware missing.

> I read, that I need "hotplug" to load this firmware while booting.
>
> I did a
>
> * *emerge hotplug
>
> which runs fine but gave me warning that I should emerge coldplug.
>
> Ok, so I did an additional
>
> * *emerge coldplug
>
> which fails with
>
> * *solfire:/home/mccramer>sudo emerge coldplug
> * *Calculating dependencies... done!
> * *[ebuild *N * *] sys-apps/coldplug-20040920-r1
> * *[blocks B * * ] sys-apps/coldplug ("sys-apps/coldplug" is blocking sys-fs/udev-151-r4)
> * *[blocks B * * ] >=sys-fs/udev-089 (">=sys-fs/udev-089" is blocking sys-apps/coldplug-20040920-r1)
>
> * ** Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> * ** installed at the same time on the same system.
>
> * *(sys-apps/coldplug-20040920-r1, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
> * * * *coldplug
>
>
> If I understand this correctly, I have to downgrade udev from udev-151
> down to udev-089 to be able to install coldplug.
>
> Is this really needed? How can I install the firmware?

I think the functionality from hot- and coldplug is now provided by
udev thus the blocker.

--
Daniel Pielmeier
 
Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 PM
 
Default Firmware loading problem

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Pielmeier <billie@gentoo.org> [11-01-17 17:03]:
> 2011/1/17 <meino.cramer@gmx.de>:
> > I am running a vanilla linux kernel version 2.6.37 .
> >
> > Furthermore in
> >
> > * */lib/firmware
> >
> > there is a folder called
> >
> > * *av7110
> >
> > which I think contains the firmware for that card.
>
> I don't think this card needs a firmware. You just enabled to much dvb
> related stuff in your kernel configuration which results in the
> creation of this folder. I need the av7110 stuff here for my FF DVB-S
> card.
>
> What problem do you have with this card, normally dmesg should spit
> something out if there is firmware missing.

The problem is, that the channel selection does not work in a proper
way:

Suppose you have the channels:
A B C D E F G
*

* => currently selected channel

Now (in vlc) you press N for "next". "B" gets selected. "N"...nothing
happens. "N" .... "D" gets selected. "P" (previous) ... "C" gets
selected. Sometimes you have to go even three steps forward and two
backward to get a certain channel selected.
A few channel sometime are not selectable at all....

Same with mplayer...so it is not the player itsself...

What can I do?

Any help is very appreciated !

Best regards,
mcc


>
> > I read, that I need "hotplug" to load this firmware while booting.
> >
> > I did a
> >
> > * *emerge hotplug
> >
> > which runs fine but gave me warning that I should emerge coldplug.
> >
> > Ok, so I did an additional
> >
> > * *emerge coldplug
> >
> > which fails with
> >
> > * *solfire:/home/mccramer>sudo emerge coldplug
> > * *Calculating dependencies... done!
> > * *[ebuild *N * *] sys-apps/coldplug-20040920-r1
> > * *[blocks B * * ] sys-apps/coldplug ("sys-apps/coldplug" is blocking sys-fs/udev-151-r4)
> > * *[blocks B * * ] >=sys-fs/udev-089 (">=sys-fs/udev-089" is blocking sys-apps/coldplug-20040920-r1)
> >
> > * ** Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> > * ** installed at the same time on the same system.
> >
> > * *(sys-apps/coldplug-20040920-r1, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
> > * * * *coldplug
> >
> >
> > If I understand this correctly, I have to downgrade udev from udev-151
> > down to udev-089 to be able to install coldplug.
> >
> > Is this really needed? How can I install the firmware?
>
> I think the functionality from hot- and coldplug is now provided by
> udev thus the blocker.
>
> --
> Daniel Pielmeier
>
 
Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Daniel Pielmeier
 
Default Firmware loading problem

meino.cramer@gmx.de schrieb am 17.01.2011 17:12:
>
> The problem is, that the channel selection does not work in a proper
> way:
>
> Suppose you have the channels:
> A B C D E F G
> *
>
> * => currently selected channel
>
> Now (in vlc) you press N for "next". "B" gets selected. "N"...nothing
> happens. "N" .... "D" gets selected. "P" (previous) ... "C" gets
> selected. Sometimes you have to go even three steps forward and two
> backward to get a certain channel selected.
> A few channel sometime are not selectable at all....
>
> Same with mplayer...so it is not the player itsself...

Do you have all needed modules loaded? According to [1] you need bttv,
bt878, mt352, dvb_bt8xx and dst (this one is probably responsible for
the remote control).

If the problem is not about missing modules I am out here as I do not
have any experience with this type of card.

http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/DiskussionVB-T_Budget-PCI-Karten

--
Daniel Pielmeier
 
Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 AM
 
Default Firmware loading problem

Daniel Pielmeier <billie@gentoo.org> [11-01-18 03:13]:
> meino.cramer@gmx.de schrieb am 17.01.2011 17:12:
> >
> > The problem is, that the channel selection does not work in a proper
> > way:
> >
> > Suppose you have the channels:
> > A B C D E F G
> > *
> >
> > * => currently selected channel
> >
> > Now (in vlc) you press N for "next". "B" gets selected. "N"...nothing
> > happens. "N" .... "D" gets selected. "P" (previous) ... "C" gets
> > selected. Sometimes you have to go even three steps forward and two
> > backward to get a certain channel selected.
> > A few channel sometime are not selectable at all....
> >
> > Same with mplayer...so it is not the player itsself...
>
> Do you have all needed modules loaded? According to [1] you need bttv,
> bt878, mt352, dvb_bt8xx and dst (this one is probably responsible for
> the remote control).
>
> If the problem is not about missing modules I am out here as I do not
> have any experience with this type of card.
>
> http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/DiskussionVB-T_Budget-PCI-Karten
>
> --
> Daniel Pielmeier
>

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your reply !

I have all this modules loaded except dst, because I am using the
keyboard for this ("N"-key, "P"-key as described).

Does anyone has any hint for me?
iHow is my card (AVermedia AverTV DVB-T 771) know to behave under
Linux ?

Best regards,
mcc
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org