Old 01-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Grant

Default Near freezes during large emerges

I've been running without swap for quite a while, but my system goes
into a near freeze whenever I undertake a large emerge such as
chromium or openoffice. Is there anything I can do to prevent this
besides turning swap back on? I have 3GB RAM and MAKEOPTS="-j1".

- Grant

Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sunday 16 January 2011 11:25:06 Grant wrote:
> I've been running without swap for quite a while, but my system goes
> into a near freeze whenever I undertake a large emerge such as
> chromium or openoffice. Is there anything I can do to prevent this
> besides turning swap back on? I have 3GB RAM and MAKEOPTS="-j1".
>
> - Grant

no.

And turning off swap is not a good idea. Google for overcommitting and why it
is bad to turn swap off.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Daniel Troeder

On 01/16/2011 08:25 PM, Grant wrote:
> I've been running without swap for quite a while, but my system goes
> into a near freeze whenever I undertake a large emerge such as
> chromium or openoffice. Is there anything I can do to prevent this
> besides turning swap back on? I have 3GB RAM and MAKEOPTS="-j1".
>
> - Grant

The "near freeze" is probably the result from Linux' bad IO-scheduling.
I know the phenomena
I'm very much looking forward to some future changes in the kernel

For now it'll help to use "ionice -c 3". This is the IO-equivalent to
"nice -n 19".

$ ionice -c 3 emerge something

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887

Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been running without swap for quite a while, but my system goes
> into a near freeze whenever I undertake a large emerge such as
> chromium or openoffice. *Is there anything I can do to prevent this
> besides turning swap back on? *I have 3GB RAM and MAKEOPTS="-j1".
>
> - Grant

As Volker says, don't turn swap off. Make it small if you must, but
keep some around. It's just disk space.

I doubt swap has anything at all to do with this problem myself, but
it will be interesting to hear from others.

You don't say what sort of processor this machine has, nor what sort
of hard drives. Even on a very high-end machine I saw the symptoms you
report when I tried a 4K sector WD Green drive with the partitions
misaligned. Once properly aligned the machine worked as expected.

If this is a single processor machine and you're in the middle of a
big emerge then likely you're just going to lose interactivity. It's
the nature of the beast. You could try

PORTAGE_NICE=

in make.conf and possibly get some relief.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Grant

>> I've been running without swap for quite a while, but my system goes
>> into a near freeze whenever I undertake a large emerge such as
>> chromium or openoffice. *Is there anything I can do to prevent this
>> besides turning swap back on? *I have 3GB RAM and MAKEOPTS="-j1".
>>
>> - Grant
>>
> The "near freeze" is probably the result from Linux' bad IO-scheduling.
> I know the phenomena
> I'm very much looking forward to some future changes in the kernel
>
> For now it'll help to use "ionice -c 3". This is the IO-equivalent to
> "nice -n 19".
>
> $ ionice -c 3 emerge something
>
> Bye,
> Daniel

Thanks Daniel, that got me through the chromium emerge without a single hiccup.

- Grant

Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Grant

>> I've been running without swap for quite a while, but my system goes
>> into a near freeze whenever I undertake a large emerge such as
>> chromium or openoffice. *Is there anything I can do to prevent this
>> besides turning swap back on? *I have 3GB RAM and MAKEOPTS="-j1".
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> As Volker says, don't turn swap off. Make it small if you must, but
> keep some around. It's just disk space.

I thought swap was no longer necessary on a machine with sufficient
memory. I guess I took I some bad advice a while back.

> I doubt swap has anything at all to do with this problem myself, but
> it will be interesting to hear from others.
>
> You don't say what sort of processor this machine has, nor what sort
> of hard drives. Even on a very high-end machine I saw the symptoms you
> report when I tried a 4K sector WD Green drive with the partitions
> misaligned. Once properly aligned the machine worked as expected.

It's a laptop with a dual-core 2.2ghz CPU.

> If this is a single processor machine and you're in the middle of a
> big emerge then likely you're just going to lose interactivity. It's
> the nature of the beast. You could try
>
> PORTAGE_NICE=
>
> in make.conf and possibly get some relief.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

'onice -c 3 emerge -DuN world' ended up working great.

- Grant