FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-16-2011, 01:34 AM
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

Hi. I am trying to use my unstable gentoo on kernel 2.6.36-gentoo-r6
and when I emerge nvidia-drivers, I get invalid argument when I try to
modprobe the module. I could not find a bug anywhere -- is this a too
recent kernel for him?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com
 
Old 01-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Mark Knecht
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM, <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> Hi. *I am trying to use my unstable gentoo on kernel 2.6.36-gentoo-r6
> and when I emerge nvidia-drivers, I get invalid argument when I try to
> modprobe the module. *I could not find a bug anywhere -- is this a too
> recent kernel for him?
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.
>
> --
> Your life is like a penny. *You're going to lose it. *The question is:
> How do
> you spend it?
>
> * * * * John Covici
> * * * * covici@ccs.covici.com

What error? What nvidia device?

I'm running 2.6.37 here with nvidia-drivers so it can basically work.

k2 ~ # uname -a
Linux k2 2.6.37-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jan 9 10:38:01 PST 2011
x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
k2 ~ # eix -Ic nvidia
[i] media-video/nvidia-settings (260.19.29@12/19/10): NVIDIA Linux X11
Settings Utility
[i] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers (260.19.29@01/09/11): NVIDIA X11 driver
and GLX libraries
[1] "pentoo" /var/lib/layman/pentoo

Found 2 matches.
k2 ~ # lspci | grep VGA
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce
9500 GT] (rev a1)
k2 ~ #

Cheers,
Mark
 
Old 01-16-2011, 01:56 AM
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM, <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> > Hi. *I am trying to use my unstable gentoo on kernel 2.6.36-gentoo-r6
> > and when I emerge nvidia-drivers, I get invalid argument when I try to
> > modprobe the module. *I could not find a bug anywhere -- is this a too
> > recent kernel for him?
> >
> > Any assistance would be appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > Your life is like a penny. *You're going to lose it. *The question is:
> > How do
> > you spend it?
> >
> > * * * * John Covici
> > * * * * covici@ccs.covici.com
>
> What error? What nvidia device?
>
> I'm running 2.6.37 here with nvidia-drivers so it can basically work.
>
> k2 ~ # uname -a
> Linux k2 2.6.37-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jan 9 10:38:01 PST 2011
> x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> k2 ~ # eix -Ic nvidia
> [i] media-video/nvidia-settings (260.19.29@12/19/10): NVIDIA Linux X11
> Settings Utility
> [i] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers (260.19.29@01/09/11): NVIDIA X11 driver
> and GLX libraries
> [1] "pentoo" /var/lib/layman/pentoo
>
> Found 2 matches.
> k2 ~ # lspci | grep VGA
> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce
> 9500 GT] (rev a1)
> k2 ~ #

Here is my nvidia drivers version:
Installed versions: 260.19.29!s(09:14:27 PM 01/15/2011)(acpi gtk
kernel_linux -custom-cflags -multilib)

I am using gentoo-x86 and the card is 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller:
nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1) and I get invalid
argument when I use the command
modprobe nvidia

Thanks for your quick response.

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com
 
Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Adam Carter
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 1:34 PM, <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

Hi. *I am trying to use my unstable gentoo on kernel 2.6.36-gentoo-r6

and when I emerge nvidia-drivers, I get invalid argument when I try to

modprobe the module.*

Did you remember to repoint the /usr/src/linux link? IIRC the module is built to suit whatever kernel that is pointing to. If its not set correctly you'll need to re-emerge nvidia-drivers.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 02:25 AM
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 1:34 PM, <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi. I am trying to use my unstable gentoo on kernel 2.6.36-gentoo-r6
> > and when I emerge nvidia-drivers, I get invalid argument when I try to
> > modprobe the module.
> >
>
> Did you remember to repoint the /usr/src/linux link? IIRC the module is
> built to suit whatever kernel that is pointing to. If its not set correctly
> you'll need to re-emerge nvidia-drivers.

linux is pointing correctly and it was after I emerged the
nvidia-drivers that I got the invalid argument.

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com
 
Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Mark Knecht
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 6:56 PM, <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
>
> Here is my nvidia drivers version:
> Installed versions: *260.19.29!s(09:14:27 PM 01/15/2011)(acpi gtk
> kernel_linux -custom-cflags -multilib)
>
> I am using gentoo-x86 and the card is 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller:
> nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1) and I get invalid
> argument when I use the command
> modprobe nvidia
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>

According to these nvidia pages the GeForce 8400GS is supported by
both the 173 series as well as the 260 series drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-173.14.28-driver.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-260.19.29-driver.html

Assuming I'm not making a mistake in my reading have you tried them
both, rebuilding each for your current kernel? It may be that you need
a specific one for the kernel you are running.

Good luck,
Mark
 
Old 01-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

On Sunday 16 January 2011 03:25:41 covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Did you remember to repoint the /usr/src/linux link? IIRC the
> > module is built to suit whatever kernel that is pointing to. If
> > its not set correctly you'll need to re-emerge nvidia-drivers.
>
> linux is pointing correctly and it was after I emerged the
> nvidia-drivers that I got the invalid argument.

You can't emerge nvidia-drivers if /usr/src/linux points to a kernel
version other than the currently running one - it complains it can't find
a valid kernel config. This means that, after emerging a new kernel
version, it's necessary to reboot with the new kernel (and fail to start
X) before it's possible to remerge nvidia-drivers to suit the new kernel
- you can't do it in advance.

On this ~amd64 multilib box, 260.19.29 has run trouble-free with gentoo-
sources 2.6.36-r5, 2.6.36-r6 and 2.6.37. Perhaps your -multilib USE flag
is causing trouble.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Dale
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

Peter Humphrey wrote:

On Sunday 16 January 2011 03:25:41 covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:


Adam Carter<adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:


Did you remember to repoint the /usr/src/linux link? IIRC the
module is built to suit whatever kernel that is pointing to. If
its not set correctly you'll need to re-emerge nvidia-drivers.


linux is pointing correctly and it was after I emerged the
nvidia-drivers that I got the invalid argument.


You can't emerge nvidia-drivers if /usr/src/linux points to a kernel
version other than the currently running one - it complains it can't find
a valid kernel config. This means that, after emerging a new kernel
version, it's necessary to reboot with the new kernel (and fail to start
X) before it's possible to remerge nvidia-drivers to suit the new kernel
- you can't do it in advance.

On this ~amd64 multilib box, 260.19.29 has run trouble-free with gentoo-
sources 2.6.36-r5, 2.6.36-r6 and 2.6.37. Perhaps your -multilib USE flag
is causing trouble.




In the past when I do a kernel upgrade, I have linked to the new kernel,
emerged nvidia drivers then rebooted to the new kernel. It worked fine
for me. I haven't done that in a while since I just built a new rig but
I have done that in the past many times.


Is this something new?

Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 01-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

On Sunday 16 January 2011 10:48:45 Dale wrote:
> Peter Humphrey wrote:

> > You can't emerge nvidia-drivers if /usr/src/linux points to a
> > kernel version other than the currently running one - it complains
> > it can't find a valid kernel config. This means that, after
> > emerging a new kernel version, it's necessary to reboot with the
> > new kernel (and fail to start X) before it's possible to remerge
> > nvidia-drivers to suit the new kernel - you can't do it in
> > advance.

> In the past when I do a kernel upgrade, I have linked to the new
> kernel, emerged nvidia drivers then rebooted to the new kernel. It
> worked fine for me. I haven't done that in a while since I just
> built a new rig but I have done that in the past many times.
>
> Is this something new?

It could easily be, yes. I remember being surprised once last year when
it happened, and since then it's been every time - enough that I've
written a tiny script to remerge drivers and vbox, then restart xdm. The
difference may be my ~amd64 system and consequent later versions of
nvidia-drivers.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Dale
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

Peter Humphrey wrote:

On Sunday 16 January 2011 10:48:45 Dale wrote:


Peter Humphrey wrote:


You can't emerge nvidia-drivers if /usr/src/linux points to a
kernel version other than the currently running one - it complains
it can't find a valid kernel config. This means that, after
emerging a new kernel version, it's necessary to reboot with the
new kernel (and fail to start X) before it's possible to remerge
nvidia-drivers to suit the new kernel - you can't do it in
advance.


In the past when I do a kernel upgrade, I have linked to the new
kernel, emerged nvidia drivers then rebooted to the new kernel. It
worked fine for me. I haven't done that in a while since I just
built a new rig but I have done that in the past many times.

Is this something new?


It could easily be, yes. I remember being surprised once last year when
it happened, and since then it's been every time - enough that I've
written a tiny script to remerge drivers and vbox, then restart xdm. The
difference may be my ~amd64 system and consequent later versions of
nvidia-drivers.




I have compiled a kernel for 2.6.37 but I have not booted it yet. I'll
set the link to the new kernel, emerge nvidia and see what happens when
I boot the new kernel.


In the past, I was on x86 on my old rig. Maybe it is the arch that
affects something. I'm not sure but will test later on today. Sort of
in the middle of a download at the moment.


Dale

:-) :-)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org