Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Peter Humphrey

Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

On Tuesday 25 January 2011 22:43:17 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Apparently, though unproven, at 19:33 on Tuesday 25 January 2011,

> Peter Humphrey did opine thusly:

> > On Tuesday 25 January 2011 17:05:41 Bill Longman wrote:

> > > You can *always* compile any package against your choice of

> > > kernel. Just use "KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/mykerneldir emerge

> > > package". It doesn't have to be the running kernel or the

> > > current kernel.

> > We've been through this once.

> Correct me if I'm wrong[1] but wasn't it you who had this problem

> last time around?

T'was I.

> Did you ever figure out what the problem really was?

I haven't investigated any further yet because it would need too much regression. As I said at the time, I'll check it when the next upgrade comes along.

> [1] old age this end = fuzzy memory = get names mixed up sometimes

Eh? I thought you were just a young whipper-snapper. And no, you can't have any fuzzy memory - it's all taken.

--

Rgds

Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Tuesday 25 January 2011 19:31:04 walt wrote:

> Or, it might have been the chicken I sacrificed in front of the

> computer.

No, that wouldn't do it - it's the wrong place. You need to make the sacrifice as close as possible to the oven.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 01:47 on Wednesday 26 January 2011, Peter
Humphrey did opine thusly:

> > [1] old age this end = fuzzy memory = get names mixed up sometimes
>
> Eh? I thought you were just a young whipper-snapper. And no, you can't
> have any fuzzy memory - it's all taken.

You thought wrong, but don't worry - most people do :-) I'm usually guessed
at 10 years younger than I really am.

It must be the girlfriend's youthfulness rubbing off. I like to make her blush
and tell people that when I finished school, she was still in kindergarten.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com