Old 01-17-2011, 01:50 AM

Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 January 2011 12:13:54 Adam Carter wrote:
> >

> >> The no kernel config error sounds more like you havent done make
> >> oldconfig/menuconfig whatever to create the .config file.
> >>
> > In fact that isn't it. I've copied the .config from /boot, run make
> > oldconfig, compiled the kernel and copied it to /boot. Still nvidia-
> > drivers won't compile, apparently because /usr/src/linux points to a
> > kernel other than the running one.
> >

> I haven't rebooted yet but I did point the symlink to the new kernel.
> I can emerge nvidia here with no problems. It noticed it was pointing
> to the new kernel and installed them correctly. I'll reboot here in a
> bit and see what happens.

Getting back to the original, I tried with 2.6.37 and it didn't work
either, but my 2.6.30 works fine with the same drivers.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 01-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Dale

Peter Humphrey wrote:

On Sunday 16 January 2011 12:13:54 Adam Carter wrote:

The no kernel config error sounds more like you havent done make
oldconfig/menuconfig whatever to create the .config file.

In fact that isn't it. I've copied the .config from /boot, run make
oldconfig, compiled the kernel and copied it to /boot. Still nvidia-
drivers won't compile, apparently because /usr/src/linux points to a
kernel other than the running one.

I haven't rebooted yet but I did point the symlink to the new kernel.
I can emerge nvidia here with no problems. It noticed it was pointing
to the new kernel and installed them correctly. I'll reboot here in a
bit and see what happens.

Getting back to the original, I tried with 2.6.37 and it didn't work
either, but my 2.6.30 works fine with the same drivers.

I'm using nvidia-drivers-260.19.29 on kernel 2.6.37-gentoo and it is
working fine so far. It booted and X is working.

Could there be something amiss in the kernel config? I ran into
problems a while back. It was missing the option CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the
kernel. You got that built in?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-17-2011, 02:28 AM

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I haven't rebooted yet but I did point the symlink to the new kernel.
> >> I can emerge nvidia here with no problems. It noticed it was pointing
> >> to the new kernel and installed them correctly. I'll reboot here in a
> >> bit and see what happens.
> >>

> > Getting back to the original, I tried with 2.6.37 and it didn't work
> > either, but my 2.6.30 works fine with the same drivers.
> >

> I'm using nvidia-drivers-260.19.29 on kernel 2.6.37-gentoo and it is
> working fine so far. It booted and X is working.
>
> Could there be something amiss in the kernel config? I ran into
> problems a while back. It was missing the option CONFIG_SYSVIPC in
> the kernel. You got that built in?
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)
Yep, its in there.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Monday 17 January 2011 02:28:57 Dale wrote:

> Peter, you got something weird going on with your system?

Maybe I have, or did have at one time. I'll try it again at the next
update. Thanks for the info.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Sunday 16 January 2011 15:32:03 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Logic tells me you likely have something dodgy local to your machine
> as you are the only one so this would be a good point to post the
> error output you get.

As I said to Dale, I'll check at the next upgrade. Thanks anyway.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Bill Longman

On 01/16/2011 01:18 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Sunday 16 January 2011 03:25:41 covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
>> Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Did you remember to repoint the /usr/src/linux link? IIRC the
>>> module is built to suit whatever kernel that is pointing to. If
>>> its not set correctly you'll need to re-emerge nvidia-drivers.
>>
>> linux is pointing correctly and it was after I emerged the
>> nvidia-drivers that I got the invalid argument.
>
> You can't emerge nvidia-drivers if /usr/src/linux points to a kernel
> version other than the currently running one - it complains it can't find
> a valid kernel config. This means that, after emerging a new kernel
> version, it's necessary to reboot with the new kernel (and fail to start
> X) before it's possible to remerge nvidia-drivers to suit the new kernel
> - you can't do it in advance.
>
> On this ~amd64 multilib box, 260.19.29 has run trouble-free with gentoo-
> sources 2.6.36-r5, 2.6.36-r6 and 2.6.37. Perhaps your -multilib USE flag
> is causing trouble.

You can *always* compile any package against your choice of kernel. Just
use "KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/mykerneldir emerge package". It doesn't have to
be the running kernel or the current kernel.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Tuesday 25 January 2011 17:05:41 Bill Longman wrote:

> You can *always* compile any package against your choice of kernel.

> Just use "KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/mykerneldir emerge package". It

> doesn't have to be the running kernel or the current kernel.

We've been through this once.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:31 PM
walt

On 01/15/2011 06:34 PM, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:

Hi. I am trying to use my unstable gentoo on kernel 2.6.36-gentoo-r6
and when I emerge nvidia-drivers, I get invalid argument when I try to
modprobe the module.

Forgive me if I'm repeating something already posted in this very long thread.
I just had the same problem for no obvious reason. I finally recompiled the
kernel and the problem disappeared (for no obvious reason).

Or, it might have been the chicken I sacrificed in front of the computer.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 21:31 on Tuesday 25 January 2011, walt did
opine thusly:

> On 01/15/2011 06:34 PM, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Hi. I am trying to use my unstable gentoo on kernel 2.6.36-gentoo-r6
> > and when I emerge nvidia-drivers, I get invalid argument when I try to
> > modprobe the module.
>
> Forgive me if I'm repeating something already posted in this very long
> thread. I just had the same problem for no obvious reason. I finally
> recompiled the kernel and the problem disappeared (for no obvious reason).
>
> Or, it might have been the chicken I sacrificed in front of the computer.

Nope, it was the three pirouettes you did in the pale moonlight. That beats
dead chickens any day.

But most likely your problem was something like /usr/src/linux pointing to the
wrong place last time you emerged the drivers, or something in a similar vein.
Perhaps you even configured the kernel and forgot to build-install it, but
were convinced you did.

The sure certain way to avoid these issues is to always when upgrading out-of-
tree drivers:

- make sure /usr/src/linux point to current running kernel, or the kernel you
plan to use if different
- build & install that kernel
- build & install drivers

then the usual rmmod && modprobe. If that still doesn't work, reboot. You may
need this if you rebuilt the kernel after making deep config changes.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 19:33 on Tuesday 25 January 2011, Peter
Humphrey did opine thusly:

> On Tuesday 25 January 2011 17:05:41 Bill Longman wrote:
> > You can *always* compile any package against your choice of kernel.
> > Just use "KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/mykerneldir emerge package". It
> > doesn't have to be the running kernel or the current kernel.
>
> We've been through this once.

Correct me if I'm wrong[1] but wasn't it you who had this problem last time
around? Did you ever figure out what the problem really was?

[1] old age this end = fuzzy memory = get names mixed up sometimes

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com