FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Adam Carter
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

*




I have compiled a kernel for 2.6.37 but I have not booted it yet. *I'll set the link to the new kernel, emerge nvidia and see what happens when I boot the new kernel.



In the past, I was on x86 on my old rig. *Maybe it is the arch that affects something. *I'm not sure but will test later on today. *Sort of in the middle of a download at the moment.



Interested. I *thought* what Dale's saying worked too. The no kernel config error sounds more like you havent done make oldconfig/menuconfig whatever to create the .config file. So maybe the problem is not that you have to be running the kernel you want to build for, but that you have at least created the .config file for the kernel you want to build for. I'm guessing obviously.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 16 January 2011 03:25:41 covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Did you remember to repoint the /usr/src/linux link? IIRC the
> > > module is built to suit whatever kernel that is pointing to. If
> > > its not set correctly you'll need to re-emerge nvidia-drivers.
> >
> > linux is pointing correctly and it was after I emerged the
> > nvidia-drivers that I got the invalid argument.
>
> You can't emerge nvidia-drivers if /usr/src/linux points to a kernel
> version other than the currently running one - it complains it can't find
> a valid kernel config. This means that, after emerging a new kernel
> version, it's necessary to reboot with the new kernel (and fail to start
> X) before it's possible to remerge nvidia-drivers to suit the new kernel
> - you can't do it in advance.
>
> On this ~amd64 multilib box, 260.19.29 has run trouble-free with gentoo-
> sources 2.6.36-r5, 2.6.36-r6 and 2.6.37. Perhaps your -multilib USE flag
> is causing trouble.

I am using x86 rather than 64 and I did emerge it after rebooting to the
new kernel, but I got invalid argument when issuing the modprobe
command.

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com
 
Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Adam Carter
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

I am using x86 rather than 64 and I did emerge it after rebooting to the

new kernel, but I got invalid argument when issuing the modprobe

command.



Can you cut/paste the command and output? and also the command "modinfo nvidia" and its output?
 
Old 01-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

Apparently, though unproven, at 11:18 on Sunday 16 January 2011, Peter
Humphrey did opine thusly:

> On Sunday 16 January 2011 03:25:41 covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Did you remember to repoint the /usr/src/linux link? IIRC the
> > > module is built to suit whatever kernel that is pointing to. If
> > > its not set correctly you'll need to re-emerge nvidia-drivers.
> >
> > linux is pointing correctly and it was after I emerged the
> > nvidia-drivers that I got the invalid argument.
>
> You can't emerge nvidia-drivers if /usr/src/linux points to a kernel
> version other than the currently running one - it complains it can't find
> a valid kernel config. This means that, after emerging a new kernel
> version, it's necessary to reboot with the new kernel (and fail to start
> X) before it's possible to remerge nvidia-drivers to suit the new kernel
> - you can't do it in advance.

That's nonsense.

The nvidia-driver ebuild will build modules for whatever kernel /usr/src/linuc
points to. There is no dependency on the running kernel


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 01-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:06:30 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> > > You can't emerge nvidia-drivers if /usr/src/linux points to a
> > > kernel version other than the currently running one - it complains
> > > it can't find a valid kernel config. This means that, after
> > > emerging a new kernel version, it's necessary to reboot with the
> > > new kernel (and fail to start X) before it's possible to remerge
> > > nvidia-drivers to suit the new kernel - you can't do it in
> > > advance.
>
> > In the past when I do a kernel upgrade, I have linked to the new
> > kernel, emerged nvidia drivers then rebooted to the new kernel. It
> > worked fine for me. I haven't done that in a while since I just
> > built a new rig but I have done that in the past many times.
> >
> > Is this something new?
>
> It could easily be, yes. I remember being surprised once last year when
> it happened, and since then it's been every time - enough that I've
> written a tiny script to remerge drivers and vbox, then restart xdm.
> The difference may be my ~amd64 system and consequent later versions of
> nvidia-drivers.

I don't have this problem. You could only see this error
if /usr/src/linux/.config does not exist. As long as you have run make
oldconfig, the drivers should build, although I only build them after
compiling the kernel (but before rebooting).
 
Old 01-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

On Sunday 16 January 2011 12:13:54 Adam Carter wrote:

> The no kernel config error sounds more like you havent done make
> oldconfig/menuconfig whatever to create the .config file.

In fact that isn't it. I've copied the .config from /boot, run make
oldconfig, compiled the kernel and copied it to /boot. Still nvidia-
drivers won't compile, apparently because /usr/src/linux points to a
kernel other than the running one.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

On Sunday 16 January 2011 12:54:46 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> That's nonsense.

It is not.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

Apparently, though unproven, at 17:18 on Sunday 16 January 2011, Peter
Humphrey did opine thusly:

> On Sunday 16 January 2011 12:54:46 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > That's nonsense.
>
> It is not.

It has not been a problem for me, not once, in 4 years at least, both on x86
and amd64. Other posters report the same and you are the only one reporting
experiencing the problem.

Logic tells me you likely have something dodgy local to your machine as you
are the only one so this would be a good point to post the error output you
get.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Dale
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

Peter Humphrey wrote:

On Sunday 16 January 2011 12:13:54 Adam Carter wrote:



The no kernel config error sounds more like you havent done make
oldconfig/menuconfig whatever to create the .config file.


In fact that isn't it. I've copied the .config from /boot, run make
oldconfig, compiled the kernel and copied it to /boot. Still nvidia-
drivers won't compile, apparently because /usr/src/linux points to a
kernel other than the running one.




I haven't rebooted yet but I did point the symlink to the new kernel. I
can emerge nvidia here with no problems. It noticed it was pointing to
the new kernel and installed them correctly. I'll reboot here in a bit
and see what happens.


Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 AM
Dale
 
Default invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module

Dale wrote:

Peter Humphrey wrote:

On Sunday 16 January 2011 12:13:54 Adam Carter wrote:


The no kernel config error sounds more like you havent done make
oldconfig/menuconfig whatever to create the .config file.

In fact that isn't it. I've copied the .config from /boot, run make
oldconfig, compiled the kernel and copied it to /boot. Still nvidia-
drivers won't compile, apparently because /usr/src/linux points to a
kernel other than the running one.



I haven't rebooted yet but I did point the symlink to the new kernel.
I can emerge nvidia here with no problems. It noticed it was pointing
to the new kernel and installed them correctly. I'll reboot here in a
bit and see what happens.


Dale

:-) :-)



OK. I just rebooted. When I booted, xdm started and the nvidia drivers
worked fine. I was still running the old kernel when I built the new
one. Peter, you got something weird going on with your system?


Dale

:-) :-)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org