Old 01-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Jacques Montier

Default grub installation problem

Hi all,

I am installing Gentoo on a new pc and following the Gentoo manual.
I create primary partition sda3 for boot with ext3 file system, then
Extended partition for
swap sda5
/ sda6 with reiserfs file system
/usr sda7 with reiserfs file system
/home sda8 with reiserfs fiel system.

after chroot, i can install every package except grub in /boot.
I get the message : "your boot partition, detected as being mounted as
/boot, is read-only.
Remounting it in read-write mode ..."
Then the error message : "failed to create symbolic link `//boot/boot` :
Read-only file system.

What's going on ???

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Jacques

Old 01-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Jacques Montier <jacques.montier@numericable.fr> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am installing Gentoo on a new pc and following the Gentoo manual.
> I create primary partition sda3 for boot with ext3 file system, then
> Extended partition for
> swap sda5
> / sda6 with reiserfs file system
> /usr sda7 with reiserfs file system
> /home sda8 with reiserfs fiel system.
>
> after chroot, i can install every package except grub in /boot.
> I get the message : "your boot partition, detected as being mounted as
> /boot, is read-only.
> Remounting it in read-write mode ..."
> Then the error message : "failed to create symbolic link `//boot/boot` :
> Read-only file system.
>
> What's going on ???

I would check if there is any error or warning in the kernel log when
that happens.

just do
dmesg | tail

after the error, to check the last lines in the log.

--
Nuno J. Silva
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg

Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Stroller

On 12/1/2011, at 6:14pm, Jacques Montier wrote:
> after chroot, i can install every package except grub in /boot.
> I get the message : "your boot partition, detected as being mounted as
> /boot, is read-only.
> Remounting it in read-write mode ..."
> Then the error message : "failed to create symbolic link `//boot/boot` :
> Read-only file system.

Have you tried rebooting and chrooting in again?

It sound like maybe (wild-ass guess) you forgot to do the `mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc && mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev` part or something like this.

Stroller.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Jacques Montier

Le 12/01/2011 20:07, Nuno J. Silva a écrit :
> Jacques Montier <jacques.montier@numericable.fr> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am installing Gentoo on a new pc and following the Gentoo manual.
>> I create primary partition sda3 for boot with ext3 file system, then
>> Extended partition for
>> swap sda5
>> / sda6 with reiserfs file system
>> /usr sda7 with reiserfs file system
>> /home sda8 with reiserfs fiel system.
>>
>> after chroot, i can install every package except grub in /boot.
>> I get the message : "your boot partition, detected as being mounted as
>> /boot, is read-only.
>> Remounting it in read-write mode ..."
>> Then the error message : "failed to create symbolic link `//boot/boot` :
>> Read-only file system.
>>
>> What's going on ???
> I would check if there is any error or warning in the kernel log when
> that happens.
>
> just do
> dmesg | tail
>
> after the error, to check the last lines in the log.

Ther is no error message : just the lines
EXT3-fs (sda3): using internal journal

I see some warning about "to avoid automounting and auto-installing with
/boot,
just export the DONT_MOUNT_BOOT variable"

How can i do that ?

Thanks

Jacques

Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM

Jacques Montier <jacques.montier@numericable.fr> writes:

> Le 12/01/2011 20:07, Nuno J. Silva a écrit :
>> Jacques Montier <jacques.montier@numericable.fr> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am installing Gentoo on a new pc and following the Gentoo manual.
>>> I create primary partition sda3 for boot with ext3 file system, then
>>> Extended partition for
>>> swap sda5
>>> / sda6 with reiserfs file system
>>> /usr sda7 with reiserfs file system
>>> /home sda8 with reiserfs fiel system.
>>>
>>> after chroot, i can install every package except grub in /boot.
>>> I get the message : "your boot partition, detected as being mounted as
>>> /boot, is read-only.
>>> Remounting it in read-write mode ..."
>>> Then the error message : "failed to create symbolic link `//boot/boot` :
>>> Read-only file system.
>>>
>>> What's going on ???
>> I would check if there is any error or warning in the kernel log when
>> that happens.
>>
>> just do
>> dmesg | tail
>>
>> after the error, to check the last lines in the log.
>>
> Ther is no error message : just the lines
> EXT3-fs (sda3): using internal journal

So there is no filesystem issue. Errors sometimes result in the
partition being remounted readonly.

Stroller has a point, read his post. As the mounted partitions list is
inside /proc, if you forgot to mount that, then maybe the ebuild can't
just find out /boot is actually mounted. There are probably other things
that might not work if you don't mount these partitions, so just to be
sure, check if you did that :-)

> I see some warning about "to avoid automounting and auto-installing with
> /boot,
> just export the DONT_MOUNT_BOOT variable"
>
> How can i do that ?

writing (and executing)

export DONT_MOUNT_BOOT

in the shell should be enough.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Jacques Montier

Le 12/01/2011 22:48, Stroller a écrit :
> On 12/1/2011, at 6:14pm, Jacques Montier wrote:
>> after chroot, i can install every package except grub in /boot.
>> I get the message : "your boot partition, detected as being mounted as
>> /boot, is read-only.
>> Remounting it in read-write mode ..."
>> Then the error message : "failed to create symbolic link `//boot/boot` :
>> Read-only file system.
> Have you tried rebooting and chrooting in again?
>
> It sound like maybe (wild-ass guess) you forgot to do the `mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc && mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev` part or something like this.
>
> Stroller.

What i did this morning :
- boot from a sysrescuecd cdrom.

I have 4 partitions for boot, /, usr and home, so :
- mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/gentoo
- mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo/boot
- mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/gentoo/usr
- mount /dev/sda8 /mnt/gentoo/home
- mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
- mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
- cd /mnt/gentoo
- chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
- emerge grub

So grub-0.97-r10 is installed, but grub can't create grub directory
beause of read-only boot partition...

I tried

- export DONT_MOUNT_BOOT
- emerge grub

But no success...

--
Jacques

Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Dale

Jacques Montier wrote:

What i did this morning :
- boot from a sysrescuecd cdrom.

I have 4 partitions for boot, /, usr and home, so :
- mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/gentoo
- mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo/boot
- mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/gentoo/usr
- mount /dev/sda8 /mnt/gentoo/home
- mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
- mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
- cd /mnt/gentoo
- chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
- emerge grub

So grub-0.97-r10 is installed, but grub can't create grub directory
beause of read-only boot partition...

I tried

- export DONT_MOUNT_BOOT
- emerge grub

But no success...

--
Jacques

Try typing in mount with no options and see what it says. Does it say
it is mounted (rw) or (ro)? Does the file system match what you
formatted it with?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Jacques Montier

Le 13/01/2011 10:59, Dale a écrit :
> Jacques Montier wrote:
>>
>> What i did this morning :
>> - boot from a sysrescuecd cdrom.
>>
>> I have 4 partitions for boot, /, usr and home, so :
>> - mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/gentoo
>> - mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo/boot
>> - mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/gentoo/usr
>> - mount /dev/sda8 /mnt/gentoo/home
>> - mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
>> - mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
>> - cd /mnt/gentoo
>> - chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
>> - emerge grub
>>
>> So grub-0.97-r10 is installed, but grub can't create grub directory
>> beause of read-only boot partition...
>>

>> I tried
>>
>> - export DONT_MOUNT_BOOT
>> - emerge grub
>>
>> But no success...
>>
>> --
>> Jacques
>>

> Try typing in mount with no options and see what it says. Does it say
> it is mounted (rw) or (ro)? Does the file system match what you
> formatted it with?
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

It's strange.
When i mount the boot partition /dev/sda3, this one is (rw) ; i make
test directory with success.
As soon as i run emerge grub, the boot partition become (ro) and can't
create directory ; i can't make test directory anymore.
So i tried something very dirty ...
I unmounted the boot partition, so the boot directory in / is empty.
I emerge grub with success and get the grub directory i could backup.
I mount the boot partition et copy the grub directory into /boot.
I edit the grub.conf and it works ; Gentoo's booting...
It works but i don't like the process at all...
It's the first time i encount such a problem about grub.

--
Jacques

Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Dale

Jacques Montier wrote:

[...]

I'm glad you got it working but something is not right somewhere. I
would try to emerge grub, install and all that again to make sure
everything is stable. Also, when you are booted into Gentoo, not the
CD, type in the mount command and see if it shows it is mounted
properly. Sort of give things a good testing. I would hate for this to
come back and bite you later on.

I'm not sure if it is grub or not but something is fishy somewhere.
Grub has been stable for a long time.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Jacques Montier

Le 13/01/2011 11:36, Dale a écrit :
> Jacques Montier wrote:

>>> Try typing in mount with no options and see what it says. Does it say
>>> it is mounted (rw) or (ro)? Does the file system match what you
>>> formatted it with?
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-) :-)
>>>

>> It's strange.
>> When i mount the boot partition /dev/sda3, this one is (rw) ; i make
>> test directory with success.
>> As soon as i run emerge grub, the boot partition become (ro) and can't
>> create directory ; i can't make test directory anymore.
>> So i tried something very dirty ...
>> I unmounted the boot partition, so the boot directory in / is empty.
>> I emerge grub with success and get the grub directory i could backup.
>> I mount the boot partition et copy the grub directory into /boot.
>> I edit the grub.conf and it works ; Gentoo's booting...
>> It works but i don't like the process at all...
>> It's the first time i encount such a problem about grub.
>>
>> --
>> Jacques
>>

> I'm glad you got it working but something is not right somewhere. I
> would try to emerge grub, install and all that again to make sure
> everything is stable. Also, when you are booted into Gentoo, not the
> CD, type in the mount command and see if it shows it is mounted
> properly. Sort of give things a good testing. I would hate for this
> to come back and bite you later on.
>
> I'm not sure if it is grub or not but something is fishy somewhere.
> Grub has been stable for a long time.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

I re-emerged grub in Gentoo with my separated (sda3) boot partition
mounted and now it works !
I don't understand...

Jacques