Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Dale

Default grub installation problem

Jacques Montier wrote:

I re-emerged grub in Gentoo with my separated (sda3) boot partition
mounted and now it works !
I don't understand...

Jacques

I wonder if it is a bug or something in the CD you booted? I recently
booted systemrescue CD and it worked fine but I didn't try to install
grub. I think I used Knoppix for my install. About any of those should
work tho.

The only thing I can think of is some difference in the file system
utilities, kernel the CD uses or something like that. Maybe someone
will come along with more ideas. Whatever it is, we do need to figure
it out. If it is some sort of bug, it needs to be fixed.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Thursday 13 January 2011 12:17:24 Dale wrote:
> Jacques Montier wrote:
> > I re-emerged grub in Gentoo with my separated (sda3) boot partition
> > mounted and now it works !
> > I don't understand...
> >

> > Jacques
>
> I wonder if it is a bug or something in the CD you booted? I recently
> booted systemrescue CD and it worked fine but I didn't try to install
> grub. I think I used Knoppix for my install. About any of those should
> work tho.
>
> The only thing I can think of is some difference in the file system
> utilities, kernel the CD uses or something like that. Maybe someone
> will come along with more ideas. Whatever it is, we do need to figure
> it out. If it is some sort of bug, it needs to be fixed.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Dale,

You might be on to something here.

Jacques, which CD did you boot from? And where did you get the ISO from?

I tend to use the ISO-images from gentoo.org and haven't noticed this issue
myself before.

--
Joost

Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Jacques Montier

Le 13/01/2011 12:28, J. Roeleveld a écrit :
> On Thursday 13 January 2011 12:17:24 Dale wrote:
>> Jacques Montier wrote:
>>> I re-emerged grub in Gentoo with my separated (sda3) boot partition
>>> mounted and now it works !
>>> I don't understand...
>>>

>>> Jacques
>> I wonder if it is a bug or something in the CD you booted? I recently
>> booted systemrescue CD and it worked fine but I didn't try to install
>> grub. I think I used Knoppix for my install. About any of those should
>> work tho.
>>
>> The only thing I can think of is some difference in the file system
>> utilities, kernel the CD uses or something like that. Maybe someone
>> will come along with more ideas. Whatever it is, we do need to figure
>> it out. If it is some sort of bug, it needs to be fixed.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
> Dale,
>
> You might be on to something here.
>
> Jacques, which CD did you boot from? And where did you get the ISO from?
>
> I tend to use the ISO-images from gentoo.org and haven't noticed this issue
> myself before.
>
> --
> Joost

I booted from sysrescueCD and i didn't use any iso but stage3*.tar.bz2
and latest portage*.tar.bz2 from French Gentoo mirror.
Then i follwed the Gentoo manual as usual.

--
Jacques

Old 01-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Mick

On 13 January 2011 16:17, Jacques Montier
<jacques.montier@numericable.fr> wrote:
> Le 13/01/2011 12:28, J. Roeleveld a écrit :

For next time you want to chroot:

First mount /dev/sdaX /mnt gentoo and then mount /proc and /dev just
like the manual says.

After that mount all the other partitions.

You would not have a problem with /boot.

This is because /proc contains info on environment variables and
devices mounted, hardware configuration, etc Without it the kernel
functionality is not complete and errors will show up sooner or later.
Ditto with /dev.
Mick

Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Jacques Montier

Le 13/01/2011 17:41, Mick a écrit :
> On 13 January 2011 16:17, Jacques Montier
> <jacques.montier@numericable.fr> wrote:
> For next time you want to chroot:
>
> First mount /dev/sdaX /mnt gentoo and then mount /proc and /dev just
> like the manual says.
>
> After that mount all the other partitions.
>
> You would not have a problem with /boot.
>
> This is because /proc contains info on environment variables and
> devices mounted, hardware configuration, etc Without it the kernel
> functionality is not complete and errors will show up sooner or later.
> Ditto with /dev.
Ok, now i understand YES !
Thank you very much to all of you !
After complete installation (i just got X working), i backup and then i
try as you said.

Cheers,

--
Jacques