Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Valmor de Almeida

Default vbox 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will not be able to boot.

Hello,

I am trying to build a windows 7 guest using virtualbox-ose-3.1.8. When
starting the virtual machine to install the OS, I get the warning:

"VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not
operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will
not be able to boot.

Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of
your host computer."

I have enabled the following in the BIOS:

Intel(R) Virtualization Technology

Intel(R) VT-d Feature

I have not created a KVM module in the kernel (using
gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r12). Is this needed?

Inputs appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Valmor

Old 01-12-2011, 06:48 AM
kashani

I am trying to build a windows 7 guest using virtualbox-ose-3.1.8. When
starting the virtual machine to install the OS, I get the warning:

"VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not
operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will
not be able to boot.

Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of
your host computer."

I have enabled the following in the BIOS:

Intel(R) Virtualization Technology
Intel(R) VT-d Feature

I have not created a KVM module in the kernel (using
gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r12). Is this needed?

Couple of things to check.

1. Make sure you've turned on all the related BIOS features that may be
related. Sometimes it's more than one or two depending on the manufacturer.

2. Verify that your chip supports 64bit VT. I found out recently that my
Intel T6600 while 64bit can only run 32bit guests.

3. You're running vbox 3.1.8 which is stable for x86 while vbox 3.2.12
is stable for amd64. Is your host OS 32bit?

kashani

Old 01-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Valmor de Almeida

On 01/12/2011 02:48 AM, kashani wrote:
> On 1/11/2011 11:04 PM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to build a windows 7 guest using virtualbox-ose-3.1.8. When
>> starting the virtual machine to install the OS, I get the warning:
>>
>> "VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not
>> operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will
>> not be able to boot.
>>
>> Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of
>> your host computer."
>>
>> I have enabled the following in the BIOS:
>>
>> Intel(R) Virtualization Technology
>> Intel(R) VT-d Feature
>>
>> I have not created a KVM module in the kernel (using
>> gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r12). Is this needed?
>
> Couple of things to check.
>
> 1. Make sure you've turned on all the related BIOS features that may be
> related. Sometimes it's more than one or two depending on the manufacturer.

Those options are the only things available on the BIOS.

> 2. Verify that your chip supports 64bit VT. I found out recently that my
> Intel T6600 while 64bit can only run 32bit guests.

Okay. Will have to check on that.

> 3. You're running vbox 3.1.8 which is stable for x86 while vbox 3.2.12
> is stable for amd64. Is your host OS 32bit?

My gentoo is amd64; yes my portage tree could be updated.

-> emerge --info
Portage 2.1.8.3 (default/linux/amd64/10.0, gcc-4.4.4, glibc-2.11.2-r3,
2.6.34-gentoo-r12 x86_64)
System uname:
Linux-2.6.34-gentoo-r12-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7_CPU_L_640_@_2.13GHz-with-gentoo-1.12.14
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:45:01 +0000

Thanks,

--
Valmor

Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 AM
kashani

Timestamp of tree: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:45:01 +0000

That chip looks okay. http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43563

kashani

Old 01-12-2011, 09:39 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Wednesday 12 January 2011 09:27:00 kashani wrote:
> On 1/12/2011 12:04 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> > System uname:
> > Linux-2.6.34-gentoo-r12-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7_CPU_L_640_@_2.13GHz-w
> > ith-gentoo-1.12.14 Timestamp of tree: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:45:01 +0000
>
> That chip looks okay. http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43563
>
> kashani

Another thing to check: BIOS-version.

I had a similar issue with my Desktop machine where I was unable to run 64bit
guests in virtualbox.
The option was in the BIOS and enabled, but not working correctly. Upgrading
the BIOS to the then-latest version solved that issue.

You might be encountering the same issue?

--
Joost

Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Valmor de Almeida
<val.gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build a windows 7 guest using virtualbox-ose-3.1.8. When
> starting the virtual machine to install the OS, I get the warning:
>
> "VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not
> operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will
> not be able to boot.
>
> Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of
> your host computer."
>
> I have enabled the following in the BIOS:
>
> *Intel(R) Virtualization Technology
>
> *Intel(R) VT-d Feature
>
> I have not created a KVM module in the kernel (using
> gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r12). Is this needed?
>
> Inputs appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Valmor

Not sure about the KVM issue.

I am running an i7-980X Extreme Edition using Gentoo 64-bit, mostly
stable. Kernel is 2.6.36-gentoo-r6, Virtualbox-4.0.0. I run both
32-bit Win XP and 64-bit Win 7 Professional here with no problems.
Typically I have 3 or 4 VMs running at the same time.

Others have suggested BIOS. I didn't have to set anything specific there.

If not BIOS then I'd look at kernel config next.

- Mark

Old 01-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Valmor de Almeida

On 01/12/2011 05:39 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 January 2011 09:27:00 kashani wrote:
>> On 1/12/2011 12:04 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
>>> System uname:
>>> Linux-2.6.34-gentoo-r12-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7_CPU_L_640_@_2.13GHz-w
>>> ith-gentoo-1.12.14 Timestamp of tree: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:45:01 +0000
>>
>> That chip looks okay. http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43563
>>
>> kashani
>
> Another thing to check: BIOS-version.
>
> I had a similar issue with my Desktop machine where I was unable to run 64bit
> guests in virtualbox.
> The option was in the BIOS and enabled, but not working correctly. Upgrading
> the BIOS to the then-latest version solved that issue.
>
> You might be encountering the same issue?
>
> --
> Joost

I have a lenovo x201 tablet and the web site shows a BIOS update from
Dec2010. The changes in the update do not say anything about
Virtualization technology updated...

Thanks for the input.

--
Valmor

Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 PM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Wednesday 12 January 2011 16:17:09 Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> On 01/12/2011 05:39 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> >>>
> >> That chip looks okay. http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43563
> >>
> >> kashani
> >
> > Another thing to check: BIOS-version.
> >
> > I had a similar issue with my Desktop machine where I was unable to run
> > 64bit guests in virtualbox.
> > The option was in the BIOS and enabled, but not working correctly.
> > Upgrading the BIOS to the then-latest version solved that issue.
> >
> > You might be encountering the same issue?
> >
> > --
> > Joost
>
> I have a lenovo x201 tablet and the web site shows a BIOS update from
> Dec2010. The changes in the update do not say anything about
> Virtualization technology updated...
>
> Thanks for the input.

Neither did my update from ASUS

Another thing, did you fully power-cycle the machine after changing that
setting?
That's another trick I've read somewhere.

--
Joost

Old 01-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Bill Longman

On 01/12/2011 06:46 AM, Mark Knecht stated:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Valmor de Almeida
> <val.gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to build a windows 7 guest using virtualbox-ose-3.1.8. When
>> starting the virtual machine to install the OS, I get the warning:
>>
>> "VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not
>> operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will
>> not be able to boot.
>>
>> Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of
>> your host computer."
>>
>> I have enabled the following in the BIOS:
>>
>> Intel(R) Virtualization Technology
>>
>> Intel(R) VT-d Feature
>>
>> I have not created a KVM module in the kernel (using
>> gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r12). Is this needed?
>>
>> Inputs appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Valmor
>
> Not sure about the KVM issue.
>
> I am running an i7-980X Extreme Edition using Gentoo 64-bit, mostly
> stable. Kernel is 2.6.36-gentoo-r6, Virtualbox-4.0.0. I run both
> 32-bit Win XP and 64-bit Win 7 Professional here with no problems.
> Typically I have 3 or 4 VMs running at the same time.
>
> Others have suggested BIOS. I didn't have to set anything specific there.
>
> If not BIOS then I'd look at kernel config next.

I have CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION turned on (=Y). None of the selections
below that are selected in my kernels. They run 64-bit VMs fine, but I
don't have VBox > 3.

Your host kernel should NOT have CONFIG_PARAVIRT_GUEST but your guest
kernels should.

That's the consensus my machines have yielded, both AMD/Intel and 32/64
bits, but there are probably other options.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> If not BIOS then I'd look at kernel config next.
>
> - Mark

If it helps here's my 2.6.36-r6 .config.

Cheers,
Mark