Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 AM
walt

Default vbox 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will not be able to boot.

On 01/11/2011 11:04 PM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to build a windows 7 guest using virtualbox-ose-3.1.8. When
starting the virtual machine to install the OS, I get the warning:

"VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not
operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will
not be able to boot.

Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of
your host computer."

I have enabled the following in the BIOS:

Intel(R) Virtualization Technology

Intel(R) VT-d Feature

I have not created a KVM module in the kernel (using
gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r12). Is this needed?

No, but now that you've mentioned it have you tried qemu-kvm to see if
it has the same complaint?

VBox is a fork of qemu, but AFAIK it doesn't use hardware virtualization
the way qemu-kvm does (and even qemu added kvm support a few months ago).
All three products are good enough to seem like black magic to me

Old 01-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Valmor de Almeida

On 01/12/2011 10:57 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>
>> If not BIOS then I'd look at kernel config next.
>>
>> - Mark
>>

> If it helps here's my 2.6.36-r6 .config.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Thanks for the posting. I have

CONFIG_HAVE_KVM=y
CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION=y

on my config and did a shut down followed by a fresh boot. Everything is
fine I am currently building a virtual Windows 7 machine.

Thanks again.

--
Valmor

Old 01-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Bill Longman

On 01/12/2011 07:25 PM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> On 01/12/2011 10:57 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> If not BIOS then I'd look at kernel config next.
>>>
>>> - Mark
>>>

>> If it helps here's my 2.6.36-r6 .config.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>
> Thanks for the posting. I have
>
> CONFIG_HAVE_KVM=y
> CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION=y
>
> on my config and did a shut down followed by a fresh boot. Everything is
> fine I am currently building a virtual Windows 7 machine.

So was it then your kernel configuration, not your BIOS? Are those the
only two changes you needed to make?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/12/2011 10:57 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> If not BIOS then I'd look at kernel config next.
>>>
>>> - Mark
>>>

>> If it helps here's my 2.6.36-r6 .config.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>
> Thanks for the posting. I have
>
> CONFIG_HAVE_KVM=y
> CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION=y
>
> on my config and did a shut down followed by a fresh boot. Everything is
> fine I am currently building a virtual Windows 7 machine.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> --
> Valmor

Very glad it helped.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Valmor de Almeida

On 01/13/2011 09:58 AM, Bill Longman wrote:
> On 01/12/2011 07:25 PM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
>> On 01/12/2011 10:57 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> <SNIP>

>>> If it helps here's my 2.6.36-r6 .config.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mark
>>
>> Thanks for the posting. I have
>>
>> CONFIG_HAVE_KVM=y
>> CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION=y
>>
>> on my config and did a shut down followed by a fresh boot. Everything is
>> fine I am currently building a virtual Windows 7 machine.
>
> So was it then your kernel configuration, not your BIOS? Are those the
> only two changes you needed to make?

I think I had the CONFIG flags set to Y already. The BIOS change and a
shut down before booting was what apparently solved it. I shutdown the
laptop and went to bed, the next morning after booting the machine I
fired up vbox and all worked. I have now a fully functional Windows7
virtual machine; it is impressive how fast it boots and shuts down as
virtual machine; also everything seems to work robustly. I installed
goggle scketch up under Win7 and it works nicely.

Thanks for the inputs.

--
Valmor

Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 PM
kashani

I think I had the CONFIG flags set to Y already. The BIOS change and a
shut down before booting was what apparently solved it. I shutdown the
laptop and went to bed, the next morning after booting the machine I
fired up vbox and all worked. I have now a fully functional Windows7
virtual machine; it is impressive how fast it boots and shuts down as
virtual machine; also everything seems to work robustly. I installed
goggle scketch up under Win7 and it works nicely.

Thanks for the inputs.

I've read a couple of threads about losing 64bit VM support after a
machine goes to sleep. Rebooting fixes the problem temporarily. If you
notice that behavior you may want to go ahead with any BIOS upgrade to
see if that fixes it.

kashani