Old 02-05-2008, 05:40 AM

Default Display card advice needed

I have been given a superb Iiyama 24' Vision Master Pro display (considered too
bulky for the office it was in).
I have to buy a new graphics card able to plug it in. It must:
- be able to display 2048x1536 at 87Hz
- be able of 3d acceleration
- use, as much as possible, an Open Source driver
- not be too expensive (<$120)

Advices & experiences welcome.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Daniel

On February 4, 2008 10:40:47 pm alain.didierjean@free.fr wrote:
> I have been given a superb Iiyama 24' Vision Master Pro display (considered
> too bulky for the office it was in).
> I have to buy a new graphics card able to plug it in. It must:
> - be able to display 2048x1536 at 87Hz
> - be able of 3d acceleration
> - use, as much as possible, an Open Source driver
> - not be too expensive (<$120)
>
> Advices & experiences welcome.

If you want GL support with Free (as in Freedom) drivers, I've found that you
can't beat the ease of Intel chips. Granted, they're not as impressive as an
Nvidia card, but unlike the other big graphics card companies, Intel's been
very good to the Freedesktop developers wrt getting the drivers together.

As I understand it, X's nv driver (regardless of the age of the card) doesn't
support 3d hardware acceleration due to Nvidia's refusal to share information
with the community, and only some of the older (>1.5years) ATI cards are
fully supported with the Free drivers.

My laptop has an intel graphics chip (on board) and it does GL stuff great.
My desktop has an ATI Radeon X800 XL and while it took a while to get things
working, it does 3d stuff very well now.

--
Nature is not a green museum. It's not stagnant. It evolves. Every time we
manage, we lose knowledge.