Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Mark Knecht

Default boot to console only?

Hi,
What (if any) is a way to boot a Gentoo VM as far as the console,
not starting X, to allow a root login? Possibly some sort of
interactive boot where I can tell it to continue or not?

The current kernel on this VM is 2.6.36-gentoo-r5 if it matters.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Dale

Mark Knecht wrote:

Hi,
What (if any) is a way to boot a Gentoo VM as far as the console,
not starting X, to allow a root login? Possibly some sort of
interactive boot where I can tell it to continue or not?

The current kernel on this VM is 2.6.36-gentoo-r5 if it matters.

Thanks,
Mark

Put softlevel=single on the end of the boot line. I think
init=/bin/bash will work but I don't think it requires a password either.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Adam Carter

* What (if any) is a way to boot a Gentoo VM as far as the console,

not starting X, to allow a root login? Possibly some sort of

interactive boot where I can tell it to continue or not?

* The current kernel on this VM is 2.6.36-gentoo-r5 if it matters.

Put gentoo=nox on the end of the VM's boot line at the boot loader.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> * What (if any) is a way to boot a Gentoo VM as far as the console,
>> not starting X, to allow a root login? Possibly some sort of
>> interactive boot where I can tell it to continue or not?
>>
>> * The current kernel on this VM is 2.6.36-gentoo-r5 if it matters.
>>

> Put gentoo=nox on the end of the VM's boot line at the boot loader.

Thanks to you both Adam and Dale. I found the nox keyword searching in
Google but couldn't figure out how to use it correctly. It does
exactly what I was looking for.

The problem was I built a VM that started X but only had KDE in the VM
and no user accounts yet. KDE starts and runs in the VM but KDE
wouldn't allow a root login so there wasn't a way for me to get a user
account added without stopping at the login like this.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 14:54:40 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> What (if any) is a way to boot a Gentoo VM as far as the console,
> not starting X, to allow a root login? Possibly some sort of
> interactive boot where I can tell it to continue or not?

Add gentoo=nox to the kernel parameters.

If you want to start X later, run /etc/init.d/xdm restart.

--
Neil Bothwick

Help put the "fun" back in "dysfunctional" !