Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Konstantinos Agouros

Default xen-sources and igb (intel network) driver

Hi,

I just upgraded my box to a phenom and an intel quad gbit card.
The card is a 82575GB. It is recognized (I use xen-sources 2.6.34-r4) and
also tried the latest driver available at intel (2.4.12). Ifconfig
show the interfaces mac addresses etc.

However I do not get a link. Neither on a switch nor on a laptop
with gbit interface.

I found googling that there seems to be an issue with xen and this card/
chip. Anybody knows a way out of it? Especially since the card should have
some virtualization optimizations?

Regards,

Konstantin

--
Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: elwood@agouros.de
Altersheimerstr. 1, 81545 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185

Old 01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Konstantinos Agouros

In <1294686017.7979@rumba> elwood@agouros.de (Konstantinos Agouros) writes:

>Hi,

>I just upgraded my box to a phenom and an intel quad gbit card.
>The card is a 82575GB. It is recognized (I use xen-sources 2.6.34-r4) and
>also tried the latest driver available at intel (2.4.12). Ifconfig
>show the interfaces mac addresses etc.

>However I do not get a link. Neither on a switch nor on a laptop
>with gbit interface.

>I found googling that there seems to be an issue with xen and this card/
>chip. Anybody knows a way out of it? Especially since the card should have
>some virtualization optimizations?
OK more googling gave me the answer:

ethtool -K tx off

Now the question is:
what is the 'gentooest' way to put this into /etc/conf.d/net?
From reading the example file I would guess a preup() function.

Also: is /etc/conf.d/net the place to put in the bridge definitions for
the xen guests? If yes, how do I get it to create empty bridges for inter-
guest communications?

Regards,

Konstantin

Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 11 January 2011 14:09:00 Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
> In <1294686017.7979@rumba> elwood@agouros.de (Konstantinos Agouros) writes:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I just upgraded my box to a phenom and an intel quad gbit card.
> >The card is a 82575GB. It is recognized (I use xen-sources 2.6.34-r4) and
> >also tried the latest driver available at intel (2.4.12). Ifconfig
> >show the interfaces mac addresses etc.
> >
> >However I do not get a link. Neither on a switch nor on a laptop
> >with gbit interface.
> >
> >I found googling that there seems to be an issue with xen and this card/
> >chip. Anybody knows a way out of it? Especially since the card should have
> >some virtualization optimizations?
>
> OK more googling gave me the answer:
>
> ethtool -K tx off
>
> Now the question is:
> what is the 'gentooest' way to put this into /etc/conf.d/net?
> From reading the example file I would guess a preup() function.
>
> Also: is /etc/conf.d/net the place to put in the bridge definitions for
> the xen guests? If yes, how do I get it to create empty bridges for inter-
> guest communications?

In case you haven't yet, it may be a worth you having a look at:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xen-guide.xml

and the way it suggests you create bridged interfaces. There's also some
links at the bottom of the page that may be of interest.

HTH.
Mick

Old 01-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Daniel Troeder

On 01/11/2011 03:09 PM, Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
> In <1294686017.7979@rumba> elwood@agouros.de (Konstantinos Agouros) writes:
>
>> Hi,
>
>> I just upgraded my box to a phenom and an intel quad gbit card.
>> The card is a 82575GB. It is recognized (I use xen-sources 2.6.34-r4) and
>> also tried the latest driver available at intel (2.4.12). Ifconfig
>> show the interfaces mac addresses etc.
>
>> However I do not get a link. Neither on a switch nor on a laptop
>> with gbit interface.
>
>> I found googling that there seems to be an issue with xen and this card/
>> chip. Anybody knows a way out of it? Especially since the card should have
>> some virtualization optimizations?
> OK more googling gave me the answer:
>
> ethtool -K tx off
>
> Now the question is:
> what is the 'gentooest' way to put this into /etc/conf.d/net?
> From reading the example file I would guess a preup() function.
>
> Also: is /etc/conf.d/net the place to put in the bridge definitions for
> the xen guests? If yes, how do I get it to create empty bridges for inter-
> guest communications?
>
> Regards,
>
> Konstantin
-----------------
brctl_br0=( "setfd 0" "sethello 0" "stp on" )
config_br0=( "aa.bb.cc.dd netmask dd.ee.ff.gg broadcast hh.ii.jj.kk" )
routes_br0=( "default via ll.mm.nn.oo" )
dns_domain_br0="example.com"
dns_servers_br0="pp.qq.rr.ss tt.uu.vv.ww"
dns_search_br0="example.com"
bridge_add_eth0="br0"
config_eth0=( "null" )

brctl_br1=( "setfd 0" "sethello 0" "stp on" )
config_br1=( "null" )
----------------

This should create two bridges:
br0 gets the public IP and the physical interface is connected to it
br1 can be used to interconnect two VMs without connection to dom0
and the outside world

/etc/conf.d/net is super powerfull, and super bad documented

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887