Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Jake Moe

Default Strange problem with audio CDs

On 01/10/11 20:21, Mick wrote:
> On 10 January 2011 09:48, Jake Moe <jakesaddress@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't seem to get audio CDs to work with my drive. Data CDs work
>> fine, I can mount the filesystem and read them. Data and Video DVDs
>> seem to work fine as well. But when I try to listen to an audio CD, I
>> get the attached errors in log.bz2. I've tried using things from KsCD
>> to cdplay; everything gives the same errors. Googling seems to indicate
>> that there might be a problem with udev somehow, but most of those that
>> I find have the "fix" as "update to the latest udev using apt/rpm/other
>> binary distro package tool", which obviously won't work for Gentoo.
>> Other solutions seem to be "update to libATA", but I'm already using that.
>>
>> I've gone through and tried to check anything obvious in my kernel
>> config, but I can't see anything that'd affect it like this. Also, if I
>> reboot into Windows (this laptop is a work computer as well), it plays
>> and rips the same CDs just fine.
>>
>> Hardware is an HP EliteBook nc6930p laptop. CD/DVD drive is /dev/sr0.
>> Controller is:
>>
>> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI
>> Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
>> Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30dc
>> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
>> I/O ports at 8118 [size=8]
>> I/O ports at 813c [size=4]
>> I/O ports at 8110 [size=8]
>> I/O ports at 8138 [size=4]
>> I/O ports at 8000 [size=32]
>> Memory at d8426000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
>> Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/16 Maskable- 64bit-
>> Capabilities: [70] Power Management version 3
>> Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
>> Capabilities: [b0] PCI Advanced Features
>> Kernel driver in use: ahci
>>
>> Oddly, if I open Konqueror and type in "audiocd:/", it lists the tracks,
>> and has the FLAC, MP3, Ogg, etc folders. But it won't play or copy the
>> files; it gives the error in error.gif.
>>
>> Any other info you need, please let me know. This is driving me nuts.
>>
>> Jake Moe
>>
> Do you have this installed?
>
> [i] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kioslaves
> Available versions:
> (4.4)
> 4.4.5!t "amd64 ppc ~ppc64 x86 ~amd64-linux ~x86-linux" [aqua debug
> encode flac +handbook kdeenablefinal kdeprefix vorbis]
> (4.5)
> ~ 4.5.3!t "~amd64 ~ppc ~ppc64 ~x86 ~amd64-linux ~x86-linux" [aqua
> debug encode flac +handbook kdeenablefinal kdeprefix vorbis]
> ~ 4.5.4!t "~amd64 ~ppc ~ppc64 ~x86 ~amd64-linux ~x86-linux" [aqua
> debug encode flac +handbook kdeenablefinal kdeprefix vorbis]
> Installed versions: 4.4.5(4.4)!t(15:15:46 18/12/10)(encode flac
> handbook vorbis -aqua -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdeprefix)
> Homepage: http://www.kde.org/

Yep.

jmoe@aus8617 ~ $ emerge -pv kdemultimedia-kioslaves

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kioslaves-4.4.5 USE="encode flac
handbook vorbis (-aqua) -debug (-kdeenablefinal) (-kdeprefix)" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

jmoe@aus8617 ~ $ eix kdemultimedia-kioslaves
[i] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kioslaves
Available versions:
(4.4) 4.4.5!t
(4.5) ~4.5.3!t ~4.5.4!t
{aqua debug encode flac +handbook kdeenablefinal kdeprefix vorbis}
Installed versions: 4.4.5(4.4)!t(13:15:06 01/09/11)(encode flac
handbook vorbis -aqua -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdeprefix)
Homepage: http://www.kde.org/

jmoe@aus8617 ~ $

And anyway, that wouldn't account for the error with cdplay and dcd
(command-line cd-player utils) that throw the same errors.

Jake Moe

Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Jörg Schaible

Hi Jake,

Jake Moe wrote:

> I can't seem to get audio CDs to work with my drive. Data CDs work
> fine, I can mount the filesystem and read them. Data and Video DVDs
> seem to work fine as well. But when I try to listen to an audio CD, I
> get the attached errors in log.bz2. I've tried using things from KsCD
> to cdplay; everything gives the same errors. Googling seems to indicate
> that there might be a problem with udev somehow, but most of those that
> I find have the "fix" as "update to the latest udev using apt/rpm/other
> binary distro package tool", which obviously won't work for Gentoo.
> Other solutions seem to be "update to libATA", but I'm already using that.
>
> I've gone through and tried to check anything obvious in my kernel
> config, but I can't see anything that'd affect it like this. Also, if I
> reboot into Windows (this laptop is a work computer as well), it plays
> and rips the same CDs just fine.
>
> Hardware is an HP EliteBook nc6930p laptop. CD/DVD drive is /dev/sr0.
> Controller is:
>
> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI
> Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
> Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30dc
> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
> I/O ports at 8118 [size=8]
> I/O ports at 813c [size=4]
> I/O ports at 8110 [size=8]
> I/O ports at 8138 [size=4]
> I/O ports at 8000 [size=32]
> Memory at d8426000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
> Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/16 Maskable- 64bit-
> Capabilities: [70] Power Management version 3
> Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
> Capabilities: [b0] PCI Advanced Features
> Kernel driver in use: ahci
>
> Oddly, if I open Konqueror and type in "audiocd:/", it lists the tracks,
> and has the FLAC, MP3, Ogg, etc folders. But it won't play or copy the
> files; it gives the error in error.gif.
>
> Any other info you need, please let me know. This is driving me nuts.

Same for me: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=6372251#6372251

I still have my old box around just because of this problem :-/

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA AHCI
Controller (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0198
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 64
I/O ports at c880 [size=8]
I/O ports at c800 [size=4]
I/O ports at c480 [size=8]
I/O ports at c400 [size=4]
I/O ports at c080 [size=32]
Memory at fbcfc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/16 Maskable- 64bit-
Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
Capabilities: [b0] PCI Advanced Features
Kernel driver in use: ahci

When I rip a CD it typically starts to read it slow permanently down and
after ~ the 6th song the process is not profgressing anymore ...

You're also running 64-bit ?

- Jörg

Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Jake Moe

On 01/11/11 04:38, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> [...]
>
> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA AHCI
> Controller (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0198
> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 64
> I/O ports at c880 [size=8]
> I/O ports at c800 [size=4]
> I/O ports at c480 [size=8]
> I/O ports at c400 [size=4]
> I/O ports at c080 [size=32]
> Memory at fbcfc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
> Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/16 Maskable- 64bit-
> Capabilities: [70] Power Management version 3
> Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
> Capabilities: [b0] PCI Advanced Features
> Kernel driver in use: ahci
>
> When I rip a CD it typically starts to read it slow permanently down and
> after ~ the 6th song the process is not profgressing anymore ...

Well, mine is a bit different. I typically run FVWM from a SLIM logon,
so there's no KDE or Gnome auto-anything running. I only used Konqueror
as an example of another way of accessing the CDs that might have
worked, but didn't. I can even stop XDM, log in from a console prompt
with no X running, and try to play a CD with cdplay or dcd, and I'll get
the same results. And with me, it doesn't start to work and then slow
down; it never works. It can only read track listings, but not any of
the music.

And no, I'm on 32-bit "stable" Gentoo, with only "unstable" packages
being ones that don't have stable ebuilds.

Thanks for trying, though. :-) Anyone else have any ideas?

Jake Moe

Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
"Barney Salter"

Hi Jake,

Have you tried compiling with the "cdda" use flag?

Thanks,
Barney

Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Jörg Schaible

Jake Moe wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I still have my old box around just because of this problem :-/
>>
>> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA
>> AHCI Controller (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
>> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0198
>> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 64
>> I/O ports at c880 [size=8]
>> I/O ports at c800 [size=4]
>> I/O ports at c480 [size=8]
>> I/O ports at c400 [size=4]
>> I/O ports at c080 [size=32]
>> Memory at fbcfc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
>> Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/16 Maskable- 64bit-
>> Capabilities: [70] Power Management version 3
>> Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
>> Capabilities: [b0] PCI Advanced Features
>> Kernel driver in use: ahci
>>
>> When I rip a CD it typically starts to read it slow permanently down and
>> after ~ the 6th song the process is not profgressing anymore ...

Not convinced ;-)

> I typically run FVWM from a SLIM logon,
> so there's no KDE or Gnome auto-anything running. I only used Konqueror
> as an example of another way of accessing the CDs that might have
> worked, but didn't. I can even stop XDM, log in from a console prompt
> with no X running, and try to play a CD with cdplay or dcd, and I'll get
> the same results. And with me, it doesn't start to work and then slow
> down; it never works. It can only read track listings, but not any of
> the music.

As I said in the forum, I have these log entries running from a pure console
(no X started at all) even with a stopped hal. It's enough to put an audio
CD into the drive. Happens also with vanilla kernel. Since 2.6.35 I have the
message only once though, in the previous two kernels (34+35) they are
repeated permanently.

> And no, I'm on 32-bit "stable" Gentoo, with only "unstable" packages
> being ones that don't have stable ebuilds.

Same for me, just using 64-bit.

> Thanks for trying, though. :-) Anyone else have any ideas?

Me, no - unfortunately.

- Jörg

Old 01-12-2011, 03:53 AM
James Wall

On 01/11/11 12:52, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Jake Moe wrote:
>
>> On 01/11/11 04:38, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>>> Hi Jake,

>>> Same for me: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=6372251#6372251
>>>
>>> I still have my old box around just because of this problem :-/
>>>
>>> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA
>>> AHCI Controller (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
>>> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0198
>>> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 64
>>> I/O ports at c880 [size=8]
>>> I/O ports at c800 [size=4]
>>> I/O ports at c480 [size=8]
>>> I/O ports at c400 [size=4]
>>> I/O ports at c080 [size=32]
>>> Memory at fbcfc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
>>> Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/16 Maskable- 64bit-
>>> Capabilities: [70] Power Management version 3
>>> Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
>>> Capabilities: [b0] PCI Advanced Features
>>> Kernel driver in use: ahci
>>>
>>> When I rip a CD it typically starts to read it slow permanently down and
>>> after ~ the 6th song the process is not profgressing anymore ...
>>>
>>> You're also running 64-bit ?
>>>
>>> - Jörg
>> Well, mine is a bit different.
>
> Not convinced ;-)
>
>> I typically run FVWM from a SLIM logon,
>> so there's no KDE or Gnome auto-anything running. I only used Konqueror
>> as an example of another way of accessing the CDs that might have
>> worked, but didn't. I can even stop XDM, log in from a console prompt
>> with no X running, and try to play a CD with cdplay or dcd, and I'll get
>> the same results. And with me, it doesn't start to work and then slow
>> down; it never works. It can only read track listings, but not any of
>> the music.
>
> As I said in the forum, I have these log entries running from a pure console
> (no X started at all) even with a stopped hal. It's enough to put an audio
> CD into the drive. Happens also with vanilla kernel. Since 2.6.35 I have the
> message only once though, in the previous two kernels (34+35) they are
> repeated permanently.
>
>> And no, I'm on 32-bit "stable" Gentoo, with only "unstable" packages
>> being ones that don't have stable ebuilds.
>
> Same for me, just using 64-bit.
>
>> Thanks for trying, though. :-) Anyone else have any ideas?
>
> Me, no - unfortunately.
>
> - Jörg

Jake,

Are you a member of the audio and/or plugdev group?

James Wall

- --
- --
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large

Old 01-12-2011, 09:29 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Monday 10 January 2011 10:48:56 Jake Moe wrote:
> I can't seem to get audio CDs to work with my drive. Data CDs work
> fine, I can mount the filesystem and read them. Data and Video DVDs
> seem to work fine as well. But when I try to listen to an audio CD, I
> get the attached errors in log.bz2. I've tried using things from KsCD
> to cdplay; everything gives the same errors. Googling seems to indicate
> that there might be a problem with udev somehow, but most of those that
> I find have the "fix" as "update to the latest udev using apt/rpm/other
> binary distro package tool", which obviously won't work for Gentoo.
> Other solutions seem to be "update to libATA", but I'm already using that.
>
> I've gone through and tried to check anything obvious in my kernel
> config, but I can't see anything that'd affect it like this. Also, if I
> reboot into Windows (this laptop is a work computer as well), it plays
> and rips the same CDs just fine.
>
> Hardware is an HP EliteBook nc6930p laptop. CD/DVD drive is /dev/sr0.
> Controller is:
>
> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI
> Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
> Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30dc
> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
> I/O ports at 8118 [size=8]
> I/O ports at 813c [size=4]
> I/O ports at 8110 [size=8]
> I/O ports at 8138 [size=4]
> I/O ports at 8000 [size=32]
> Memory at d8426000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
> Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/16 Maskable- 64bit-
> Capabilities: [70] Power Management version 3
> Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
> Capabilities: [b0] PCI Advanced Features
> Kernel driver in use: ahci
>
> Oddly, if I open Konqueror and type in "audiocd:/", it lists the tracks,
> and has the FLAC, MP3, Ogg, etc folders. But it won't play or copy the
> files; it gives the error in error.gif.
>
> Any other info you need, please let me know. This is driving me nuts.
>
> Jake Moe

Are you sure it is a proper audio-cd?
The error message talks about a mp3-file.

Do you have this issue with all Audio-CDs? (including older ones from before
record companies thought it was a good idea to add copy-protection schemes?)

--
Joost

Old 01-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Jake Moe <jakesaddress@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't seem to get audio CDs to work with my drive. *Data CDs work
> fine, I can mount the filesystem and read them. *Data and Video DVDs
> seem to work fine as well. *But when I try to listen to an audio CD, I
> get the attached errors in log.bz2. *I've tried using things from KsCD
> to cdplay; everything gives the same errors. *Googling seems to indicate
> that there might be a problem with udev somehow, but most of those that
> I find have the "fix" as "update to the latest udev using apt/rpm/other
> binary distro package tool", which obviously won't work for Gentoo.
> Other solutions seem to be "update to libATA", but I'm already using that.
>
> I've gone through and tried to check anything obvious in my kernel
> config, but I can't see anything that'd affect it like this. *Also, if I
> reboot into Windows (this laptop is a work computer as well), it plays
> and rips the same CDs just fine.

I wonder if udev is creating the correct device nodes for the cdrom?
What are the programs looking for? Do you have /dev/cdrom in your
system?

Check /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules to ensure it looks
right (in case you had a big change in your system config, like IDE ->
SATA or something)

This command might give you some clue what's happening when those
errors occur if udev is involved:
udevadm test /class/block/sr0

Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Jake Moe

On 01/12/11 04:52, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Jake Moe wrote:
>> On 01/11/11 04:38, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>>> Hi Jake,

>>> Same for me: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=6372251#6372251
>>>
>>> I still have my old box around just because of this problem :-/
>>>
>>> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA
>>> AHCI Controller (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
>>> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0198
>>> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 64
>>> I/O ports at c880 [size=8]
>>> I/O ports at c800 [size=4]
>>> I/O ports at c480 [size=8]
>>> I/O ports at c400 [size=4]
>>> I/O ports at c080 [size=32]
>>> Memory at fbcfc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
>>> Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/16 Maskable- 64bit-
>>> Capabilities: [70] Power Management version 3
>>> Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
>>> Capabilities: [b0] PCI Advanced Features
>>> Kernel driver in use: ahci
>>>
>>> When I rip a CD it typically starts to read it slow permanently down and
>>> after ~ the 6th song the process is not profgressing anymore ...
>>>
>>> You're also running 64-bit ?
>>>
>>> - Jörg
>> Well, mine is a bit different.
> Not convinced ;-)
>> I typically run FVWM from a SLIM logon,
>> so there's no KDE or Gnome auto-anything running. I only used Konqueror
>> as an example of another way of accessing the CDs that might have
>> worked, but didn't. I can even stop XDM, log in from a console prompt
>> with no X running, and try to play a CD with cdplay or dcd, and I'll get
>> the same results. And with me, it doesn't start to work and then slow
>> down; it never works. It can only read track listings, but not any of
>> the music.
> As I said in the forum, I have these log entries running from a pure console
> (no X started at all) even with a stopped hal. It's enough to put an audio
> CD into the drive. Happens also with vanilla kernel. Since 2.6.35 I have the
> message only once though, in the previous two kernels (34+35) they are
> repeated permanently.
Ah, I missed that part. Thought you were only talking about using apps
through KDE.
>> And no, I'm on 32-bit "stable" Gentoo, with only "unstable" packages
>> being ones that don't have stable ebuilds.
> Same for me, just using 64-bit.
>> Thanks for trying, though. :-) Anyone else have any ideas?
> Me, no - unfortunately.
>
> - Jörg
Well, I'll soldier on. Maybe one of these other posts will tell me
somthing...

Jake Moe

Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Jake Moe

On 01/12/11 14:53, James Wall wrote:
> On 01/11/11 12:52, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> > Jake Moe wrote:

> CD, I
> KsCD
> indicate
> those that
> apt/rpm/other

> Also, if I
> plays

> /dev/sr0.

> tracks,
> copy the

> nuts.

> down and

> >> Well, mine is a bit different.
>
> > Not convinced ;-)
>
> >> I typically run FVWM from a SLIM logon,
> >> so there's no KDE or Gnome auto-anything running. I only used
> Konqueror
> >> as an example of another way of accessing the CDs that might have
> >> worked, but didn't. I can even stop XDM, log in from a console prompt
> >> with no X running, and try to play a CD with cdplay or dcd, and
> I'll get
> >> the same results. And with me, it doesn't start to work and then slow
> >> down; it never works. It can only read track listings, but not any of
> >> the music.
>
> > As I said in the forum, I have these log entries running from a pure
> console
> > (no X started at all) even with a stopped hal. It's enough to put an
> audio
> > CD into the drive. Happens also with vanilla kernel. Since 2.6.35 I
> have the
> > message only once though, in the previous two kernels (34+35) they are
> > repeated permanently.
>
> >> And no, I'm on 32-bit "stable" Gentoo, with only "unstable" packages
> >> being ones that don't have stable ebuilds.
>
> > Same for me, just using 64-bit.
>
> >> Thanks for trying, though. :-) Anyone else have any ideas?
>
> > Me, no - unfortunately.
>
> > - Jörg
>

> Jake,
>
> Are you a member of the audio and/or plugdev group?
>
> James Wall

Yep, as well as the cdrom group.

Jake Moe