Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Jake Moe

Default Strange problem with audio CDs

I can't seem to get audio CDs to work with my drive. Data CDs work
fine, I can mount the filesystem and read them. Data and Video DVDs
seem to work fine as well. But when I try to listen to an audio CD, I
get the attached errors in log.bz2. I've tried using things from KsCD
to cdplay; everything gives the same errors. Googling seems to indicate
that there might be a problem with udev somehow, but most of those that
I find have the "fix" as "update to the latest udev using apt/rpm/other
binary distro package tool", which obviously won't work for Gentoo.
Other solutions seem to be "update to libATA", but I'm already using that.

I've gone through and tried to check anything obvious in my kernel
config, but I can't see anything that'd affect it like this. Also, if I
reboot into Windows (this laptop is a work computer as well), it plays
and rips the same CDs just fine.

Hardware is an HP EliteBook nc6930p laptop. CD/DVD drive is /dev/sr0.
Controller is:

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI
Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30dc
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
I/O ports at 8118 [size=8]
I/O ports at 813c [size=4]
I/O ports at 8110 [size=8]
I/O ports at 8138 [size=4]
I/O ports at 8000 [size=32]
Memory at d8426000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/16 Maskable- 64bit-
Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
Capabilities: [b0] PCI Advanced Features
Kernel driver in use: ahci

Oddly, if I open Konqueror and type in "audiocd:/", it lists the tracks,
and has the FLAC, MP3, Ogg, etc folders. But it won't play or copy the
files; it gives the error in error.gif.

Any other info you need, please let me know. This is driving me nuts.

Jake Moe

Old 01-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Mick

On 10 January 2011 09:48, Jake Moe <jakesaddress@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't seem to get audio CDs to work with my drive. *Data CDs work
> fine, I can mount the filesystem and read them. *Data and Video DVDs
> seem to work fine as well. *But when I try to listen to an audio CD, I
> get the attached errors in log.bz2. *I've tried using things from KsCD
> to cdplay; everything gives the same errors. *Googling seems to indicate
> that there might be a problem with udev somehow, but most of those that
> I find have the "fix" as "update to the latest udev using apt/rpm/other
> binary distro package tool", which obviously won't work for Gentoo.
> Other solutions seem to be "update to libATA", but I'm already using that.
>
> I've gone through and tried to check anything obvious in my kernel
> config, but I can't see anything that'd affect it like this. *Also, if I
> reboot into Windows (this laptop is a work computer as well), it plays
> and rips the same CDs just fine.
>
> Hardware is an HP EliteBook nc6930p laptop. *CD/DVD drive is /dev/sr0.
> Controller is:
>
> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI
> Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
> * * * *Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30dc
> * * * *Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
> * * * *I/O ports at 8118 [size=8]
> * * * *I/O ports at 813c [size=4]
> * * * *I/O ports at 8110 [size=8]
> * * * *I/O ports at 8138 [size=4]
> * * * *I/O ports at 8000 [size=32]
> * * * *Memory at d8426000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
> * * * *Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/16 Maskable- 64bit-
> * * * *Capabilities: [70] Power Management version 3
> * * * *Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
> * * * *Capabilities: [b0] PCI Advanced Features
> * * * *Kernel driver in use: ahci
>
> Oddly, if I open Konqueror and type in "audiocd:/", it lists the tracks,
> and has the FLAC, MP3, Ogg, etc folders. *But it won't play or copy the
> files; it gives the error in error.gif.
>
> Any other info you need, please let me know. *This is driving me nuts.
>
> Jake Moe

Do you have this installed?

[i] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kioslaves
Available versions:
(4.4)
4.4.5!t "amd64 ppc ~ppc64 x86 ~amd64-linux ~x86-linux" [aqua debug
encode flac +handbook kdeenablefinal kdeprefix vorbis]
(4.5)
~ 4.5.3!t "~amd64 ~ppc ~ppc64 ~x86 ~amd64-linux ~x86-linux" [aqua
debug encode flac +handbook kdeenablefinal kdeprefix vorbis]
~ 4.5.4!t "~amd64 ~ppc ~ppc64 ~x86 ~amd64-linux ~x86-linux" [aqua
debug encode flac +handbook kdeenablefinal kdeprefix vorbis]
Installed versions: 4.4.5(4.4)!t(15:15:46 18/12/10)(encode flac
handbook vorbis -aqua -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdeprefix)
Homepage: http://www.kde.org/

Mick