Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Mark Knecht

Default KDE - Could not create a python scriptengine

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 7:21 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 06:19:26 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> * *Looking at my emerge log it seem that PyQt4 was emerged yesterday.
>> I see other reports on the web of this problem some 2 years ago on
>> some platforms where PyQt was presumed to be involved. I've made no
>> use flag or package changes on this system.
>
> I had something similar recently that required re-emerging pykde4. at the
> time, that wouldn't compile until I added a patch
> to /etc/portage/patches/kde-base/pykde4-4.5.4 but the patch may be in
> the potage tree now.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

Thanks guys. That fixed it.

I suspect it was pykde4, but as there were only 3 dependencies on
PyQt4 I just emerged them all. It's a drag to log out more than once
as I had to shut down 4 Windows VMs to do it. I'm keeping this 6
core/12 thread machine quite busy these days.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 7:21 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 06:19:26 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> * *Looking at my emerge log it seem that PyQt4 was emerged yesterday.
>>> I see other reports on the web of this problem some 2 years ago on
>>> some platforms where PyQt was presumed to be involved. I've made no
>>> use flag or package changes on this system.
>>
>> I had something similar recently that required re-emerging pykde4. at the
>> time, that wouldn't compile until I added a patch
>> to /etc/portage/patches/kde-base/pykde4-4.5.4 but the patch may be in
>> the potage tree now.
>>

>> --
>> Neil Bothwick
>
> Thanks guys. That fixed it.
>
> I suspect it was pykde4, but as there were only 3 dependencies on
> PyQt4 I just emerged them all. It's a drag to log out more than once
> as I had to shut down 4 Windows VMs to do it. I'm keeping this 6
> core/12 thread machine quite busy these days.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

A note to anyone else who might bet hit by this.

I had no audio after the re-emerge. It seems that KDE's mixer PCM
slider was set back to 0. I was using audio during the code build,
exited KDE and logged in again, got my widgets back but didn't check
audio for another 10 minutes.

- Mark