Old 01-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Mike

Default The pound sign

No you wags, not "#", I mean a real ""!

I'm having a tiny bit of trouble with my Gentoo install. I have two
machines, a desktop and a laptop and on both I have set the keymap in
whichever config file it should be set in (/etc/rc.conf?). Result is
that on a vtty I can login and use my keyboard quite happily.

I have also set the config in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to set my keymap for
X and all is mostly goo and well there too. I get a UK keymap and I can
type quite happily in my windows.

The slight problem is that if I launch LXterminal and try trying it in
the terminal, all the keys are fine with the execption that (shift+3)
actually prints a question mark "?". The interestig thing is that
somewhere in LXterminal's settings, there is a text input box. And if I
do a shift+3 in this box, I get a . It's only the actual terminal
where it doesn't work. All the other keymapping in the terminal works
fine. I've noticed this irritation afflicts both my desktop and laptop
and dispite various Googling, I can't find anytthing that describes this
irritation.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be?

Cheers,
Mike.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Wednesday 05 January 2011 15:50:48 Mike wrote:
> No you wags, not "#", I mean a real ""!
>
> I'm having a tiny bit of trouble with my Gentoo install. I have two
> machines, a desktop and a laptop and on both I have set the keymap in
> whichever config file it should be set in (/etc/rc.conf?). Result is
> that on a vtty I can login and use my keyboard quite happily.
>
> I have also set the config in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to set my keymap for
> X and all is mostly goo and well there too. I get a UK keymap and I can
> type quite happily in my windows.
>
> The slight problem is that if I launch LXterminal and try trying it in
> the terminal, all the keys are fine with the execption that (shift+3)
> actually prints a question mark "?". The interestig thing is that
> somewhere in LXterminal's settings, there is a text input box. And if I
> do a shift+3 in this box, I get a . It's only the actual terminal
> where it doesn't work. All the other keymapping in the terminal works
> fine. I've noticed this irritation afflicts both my desktop and laptop
> and dispite various Googling, I can't find anytthing that describes this
> irritation.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas why this might be?
>
> Cheers,
> Mike.

different fonts maybe?