-   -   Help with eix-test-obsolete (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/472697-help-eix-test-obsolete.html)

Francesco Talamona 01-05-2011 01:07 PM

Help with eix-test-obsolete

What I'm trying to accomplish:

For some packages, when a new version is available, to be able to merge
them without adding them to /etc/portage/package.keyword, and when/if
the installed version is marked as stable I wish eix-test-obsolete won't
tell me that this particular package is redundant.

How my system is configured:

I have those packages listed in /etc/portage/package.keyword without the
version number, and the same packages name also in
/etc/portage/package.keywords.nowarn

Lately it seems that eix disregards the content of
/etc/portage/package.keywords.nowarn, or maybe I messed up with a
configuration file :)

for example:

grep amsn /etc/portage/*
/etc/portage/package.keywords:net-im/amsn ~amd64
/etc/portage/package.keywords.nowarn:net-im/amsn in_keywords no_change

The only flags in eixrc (following the guide in [1]) are related to
mask/unmask policies, so they shouldn't interfere with my goal:

cat /etc/eixrc | grep -Ev '^#|^$'
TEST_FOR_NONEXISTENT=true
NONEXISTENT_IF_OTHER_OVERLAY=true
REDUNDANT_IF_UNMASK_NO_CHANGE=false
REDUNDANT_IF_IN_MASK=false

Anyway "eix-test-obsolete -bd" lists amsn among the programs redundant
in /etc/portage/package.keywords because the latest version is stable
(or maybe because there are keyworded unstable versions?).

eix --version
eix 0.22.6 (gcc-4.4.4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

The complete output:
eix-test-obsolete -bd

No non-matching entries in /etc/portage/package.keywords.
No non-matching entries in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords.
No non-matching entries in /etc/portage/package.mask.
No non-matching entries in /etc/portage/package.unmask.
No non-matching or empty entries in /etc/portage/package.use.
No non-matching or empty entries in /etc/portage/package.env.
No non-matching or empty entries in /etc/portage/package.cflags.
The names of all installed packages are in the database.

Redundant in /etc/portage/package.{,accept_}keywords:

... considered as REDUNDANT_IF_WEAKER
[i] sys-apps/portage (2.2.0_alpha11@01/01/2011): Portage is the package
management and distribution system for Gentoo

... considered as REDUNDANT_IF_NO_CHANGE
[i] app-emulation/dosemu (1.4.1_pre20091009@01/05/2010): DOS Emulator
[i] app-emulation/virtualbox-bin (3.2.12-r1@31/12/2010): Family of
powerful x86 virtualization products for enterprise as well as home use
[i] app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions (3.2.12@03/01/2011):
VirtualBox kernel modules and user-space tools for Linux guests
[i] app-emulation/virtualbox-modules (3.2.12@03/01/2011): Kernel Modules
for Virtualbox
[i] media-video/ffmpeg (0.6_p25767@26/11/2010): Complete solution to
record, convert and stream audio and video. Includes libavcodec.
[i] media-video/nvidia-settings (260.19.29@20/12/2010): NVIDIA Linux X11
Settings Utility
[i] net-im/amsn (0.98.3@28/11/2010): Alvaro's Messenger client for MSN
[i] net-wireless/madwifi-ng (0.9.4.4133.20100621@03/01/2011): Next
Generation driver for Atheros based IEEE 802.11a/b/g wireless LAN cards
[i] net-wireless/madwifi-ng-tools (0.9.4.4133.20100621@12/08/2010): Next
Generation tools for configuration of Atheros based IEEE 802.11a/b/g
wireless LAN cards
[i] sys-apps/dbus (1.4.1@03/01/2011): A message bus system, a simple way
for applications to talk to each other
[i] www-client/firefox (3.6.13@10/12/2010): Firefox Web Browser
[i] x11-drivers/xf86-input-virtualbox (3.2.12@04/12/2010): VirtualBox
input driver
[i] x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox (3.2.12@03/01/2011): VirtualBox
video driver
Found 13 matches.

No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.{,accept_}keywords
No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.mask
No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.mask
No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.unmask
No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.unmask
No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.use
No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.use
No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.env
No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.env
No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.cflags
No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.cflags
All installed versions of packages are in the database.

[1] http://linuxreviews.org/man/eix/

Thanks in advance
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.36-gentoo-r6, Compiled #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 3
11:54:58 CET 2011

Vaeth 01-06-2011 01:43 PM

Help with eix-test-obsolete

> Lately it seems that eix disregards the content of
> /etc/portage/package.keywords.nowarn

From the ChangeLog:

*eix-0.22.1 [...]
- use /etc/portage/package.nowarn instead of
/etc/portage/package.*.nowarn; the latter is now obsolete.
If you want continue to use it, set OBSOLETE_NOWARN=true

Francesco Talamona 01-06-2011 04:39 PM

Help with eix-test-obsolete

On Thursday 06 January 2011, Vaeth wrote:
> > Lately it seems that eix disregards the content of
> > /etc/portage/package.keywords.nowarn
>
> From the ChangeLog:
>
> *eix-0.22.1 [...]
> - use /etc/portage/package.nowarn instead of
> /etc/portage/package.*.nowarn; the latter is now obsolete.
> If you want continue to use it, set OBSOLETE_NOWARN=true

That's it.
Many thanks!
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.36-gentoo-r6, Compiled #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 3
11:54:58 CET 2011
Two 2.6GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processors, 4GB RAM, 10453 Bogomips Total
aemaeth