Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Adam Carter

Default Slotted PHP behavior

> I had a similar problem before and I did solve it by running this command:

> eselect php set apache2 php5.3. I believe I get this command from a Gentoo

> official PHP guide.

> Hung

Thank you, that fixed it. *I'm getting some errors in squirrelmail but

functionality seems to be intact.

Since things seem to be working with php-5.3.4, how can I get rid of

the older version of php that must be installed in another slot? *I'm

hoping that simplifies things a bit. *PHP on Gentoo just got more

complicated and all I need out of it is squirrelmail.*

also;
eselect php list cli

and you may need to

eselect php set cli php5.3

Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 11:42:02 -0800, Grant wrote:

> Since things seem to be working with php-5.3.4, how can I get rid of
> the older version of php that must be installed in another slot?

emerge -Pa cat/pkg will remove all but the latest version.

--
Neil Bothwick

But I thought YOU did the backups...

Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Grant

>> Thank you, that fixed it. *I'm getting some errors in squirrelmail but
>> functionality seems to be intact.
>>
>> Since things seem to be working with php-5.3.4, how can I get rid of
>> the older version of php that must be installed in another slot? *I'm
>> hoping that simplifies things a bit. *PHP on Gentoo just got more
>> complicated and all I need out of it is squirrelmail. *Actually, I
>> wish there was a decent webmail client that didn't depend on PHP at
>> all so I could remove it.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> The slotting is just for major versions, so you probably don't have two
> installed (you most likely went from 5.3.3 to 5.3.4).

You're right.

> But watch out -- after the eselect, you'll need to move your php.ini
> from e.g. /etc/php/apache2 to /etc/php/apache2-php5.3.

Here I get confused. I believe a "development version" of php.ini was
installed to /etc/php/apache2-php5.3/php.ini. It included a
development value for error_reporting which I needed to change to the
production value in order to prevent squirrelmail from triggering many
error messages. At this point I have my old php.ini (which I don't
think I ever edited) and the new development version of php.ini for
5.3.4. I did a diff between them and there are about 15 chunks of
difference. The problem is I'm not sure which changes are due to the
5.3.3->5.3.4 switch and which are due to the fact that it's a
development version of the config file. What I'd like to do is run a
default 5.3.4 production php.ini but I don't know how to come up with
that.

What is gained by this new extra layer for PHP on Gentoo? I was happy
when it behaved like every other ebuild and I could use etc-update
along with -5 and I didn't have to bother with eselect.

- Grant

Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Michael Orlitzky

On 01/05/2011 06:13 PM, Grant wrote:
>>> Thank you, that fixed it. I'm getting some errors in squirrelmail but
>>> functionality seems to be intact.
>>>
>>> Since things seem to be working with php-5.3.4, how can I get rid of
>>> the older version of php that must be installed in another slot? I'm
>>> hoping that simplifies things a bit. PHP on Gentoo just got more
>>> complicated and all I need out of it is squirrelmail. Actually, I
>>> wish there was a decent webmail client that didn't depend on PHP at
>>> all so I could remove it.
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>>

>> The slotting is just for major versions, so you probably don't have two
>> installed (you most likely went from 5.3.3 to 5.3.4).
>
> You're right.
>
>> But watch out -- after the eselect, you'll need to move your php.ini
>> from e.g. /etc/php/apache2 to /etc/php/apache2-php5.3.
>
> Here I get confused. I believe a "development version" of php.ini was
> installed to /etc/php/apache2-php5.3/php.ini. It included a
> development value for error_reporting which I needed to change to the
> production value in order to prevent squirrelmail from triggering many
> error messages. At this point I have my old php.ini (which I don't
> think I ever edited) and the new development version of php.ini for
> 5.3.4. I did a diff between them and there are about 15 chunks of
> difference. The problem is I'm not sure which changes are due to the
> 5.3.3->5.3.4 switch and which are due to the fact that it's a
> development version of the config file. What I'd like to do is run a
> default 5.3.4 production php.ini but I don't know how to come up with
> that.

New/deleted parameters are probably from the upgrade. Values that have
been changes are probably your changes. You can re-emerge PHP with the
production php.ini according to this (I haven't tried it):

http://olemarkus.org/2010/10/choosing-between-development-and-production-version-of-php-ini/

> What is gained by this new extra layer for PHP on Gentoo? I was happy
> when it behaved like every other ebuild and I could use etc-update
> along with -5 and I didn't have to bother with eselect.

A ton of crap broke with the PHP 5.2 -> 5.3 upgrade. In theory, this
will help with future upgrades; but I'm not sure how, since I can't
*run* both versions at the same time. Does anyone know how having 5.3
installed will help me when I'm stuck running 5.2 for some of my sites?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Grant

>>> But watch out -- after the eselect, you'll need to move your php.ini
>>> from e.g. /etc/php/apache2 to /etc/php/apache2-php5.3.
>>
>> Here I get confused. *I believe a "development version" of php.ini was
>> installed to /etc/php/apache2-php5.3/php.ini. *It included a
>> development value for error_reporting which I needed to change to the
>> production value in order to prevent squirrelmail from triggering many
>> error messages. *At this point I have my old php.ini (which I don't
>> think I ever edited) and the new development version of php.ini for
>> 5.3.4. *I did a diff between them and there are about 15 chunks of
>> difference. *The problem is I'm not sure which changes are due to the
>> 5.3.3->5.3.4 switch and which are due to the fact that it's a
>> development version of the config file. *What I'd like to do is run a
>> default 5.3.4 production php.ini but I don't know how to come up with
>> that.
>
> New/deleted parameters are probably from the upgrade. Values that have
> been changes are probably your changes. You can re-emerge PHP with the
> production php.ini according to this (I haven't tried it):
>
> http://olemarkus.org/2010/10/choosing-between-development-and-production-version-of-php-ini/

Ah, perfect! Adding the following to /etc/make.conf and re-emerging
php I was able to use etc-update to merge the latest production
version of php.ini:

PHP_INI_VERSION="production"

I guess we're in a transitional phase with PHP on Gentoo. I hope it works out.

- Grant

Old 01-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2011-01-05 7:21 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> A ton of crap broke with the PHP 5.2 -> 5.3 upgrade. In theory, this
> will help with future upgrades; but I'm not sure how, since I can't
> *run* both versions at the same time. Does anyone know how having 5.3
> installed will help me when I'm stuck running 5.2 for some of my sites?

I don't think this is correct... from the PHP upgrade guide:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/php/php-guide.xml

"2. Slotting

Minor version slotting

The php team decided to ease the transition between PHP-5.2 and PHP-5.3
by allowing users to install both versions concurrently. Using the cgi
or FPM SAPI, you can even serve web pages utilizing PHP-5.2 and PHP-5.3
(or PHP-5.4 once it's released) at the same time.

For implementing minor version slotting, we chose an approach similar to
that of the ruby team --- you can set a global variable PHP_TARGETS to
control which slots you want and manage the active version via an
eselect module (see chapter 3)"

Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Michael Orlitzky

On 01/15/2011 12:55 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2011-01-05 7:21 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>> A ton of crap broke with the PHP 5.2 -> 5.3 upgrade. In theory, this
>> will help with future upgrades; but I'm not sure how, since I can't
>> *run* both versions at the same time. Does anyone know how having 5.3
>> installed will help me when I'm stuck running 5.2 for some of my sites?
>
> I don't think this is correct... from the PHP upgrade guide:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/php/php-guide.xml
>
> "2. Slotting
>
> Minor version slotting
>
> The php team decided to ease the transition between PHP-5.2 and PHP-5.3
> by allowing users to install both versions concurrently. Using the cgi
> or FPM SAPI, you can even serve web pages utilizing PHP-5.2 and PHP-5.3
> (or PHP-5.4 once it's released) at the same time.
>
> For implementing minor version slotting, we chose an approach similar to
> that of the ruby team --- you can set a global variable PHP_TARGETS to
> control which slots you want and manage the active version via an
> eselect module (see chapter 3)"

Oh, thanks, that makes sense. The next time PHP breaks everything I'll
do some experimenting to see if mod_php and the new fpm SAPI can run in
parallel.