Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Stéphane Guedon

Default Slotted PHP behavior

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 18:47:30 Hung Dang wrote:
> On 01/04/11 10:27, Grant wrote:
> > I just upgraded to php-5.3.4 which I believe went into a new slot. Is
> > slotted behavior new for PHP? I think things have been rearranged.
> > Can someone clue me in to the new layout? For example, I get:
> >
> > # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
> >
> > * Caching service dependencies ...
> >
> > * apache2 has detected an error in your setup:
> > apache2: Syntax error on line 149 of /etc/apache2/httpd.conf: Syntax
> > error on line 4 of /etc/apache2/modules.d/70_mod_php5.conf: Cannot
> > load /usr/lib64/apache2/modules/libphp5.so into server:
> > /usr/lib64/apache2/modules/libphp5.so: cannot open shared object file:
> > No such file or directory
> >
> > - Grant
>
> I had a similar problem before and I did solve it by running this
> command: eselect php set apache2 php5.3. I believe I get this command
> from a Gentoo official PHP guide.
>
> Hung

I did this just few weeks ago and had to switch back because my web app
(wordpress native, not from gentoo) didn't work. Be sure you need this !
--
Stéphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/

Old 01-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Grant

> I just upgraded to php-5.3.4 which I believe went into a new slot. Is
> slotted behavior new for PHP? I think things have been rearranged.
> Can someone clue me in to the new layout? For example, I get:
>
> # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
> * Caching service dependencies ...
> * apache2 has detected an error in your setup:
> apache2: Syntax error on line 149 of /etc/apache2/httpd.conf: Syntax
> error on line 4 of /etc/apache2/modules.d/70_mod_php5.conf: Cannot
> load /usr/lib64/apache2/modules/libphp5.so into server:
> /usr/lib64/apache2/modules/libphp5.so: cannot open shared object file:
> No such file or directory
>
> - Grant
>
> I had a similar problem before and I did solve it by running this command:
> eselect php set apache2 php5.3. I believe I get this command from a Gentoo
> official PHP guide.
>
> Hung

Thank you, that fixed it. I'm getting some errors in squirrelmail but
functionality seems to be intact.

Since things seem to be working with php-5.3.4, how can I get rid of
the older version of php that must be installed in another slot? I'm
hoping that simplifies things a bit. PHP on Gentoo just got more
complicated and all I need out of it is squirrelmail. Actually, I
wish there was a decent webmail client that didn't depend on PHP at
all so I could remove it.

- Grant

Old 01-04-2011, 11:58 PM
"Duong "Yang" Ha Nguyen"

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Grant wrote:

> Since things seem to be working with php-5.3.4, how can I get rid of
> the older version of php that must be installed in another slot? I'm
> hoping that simplifies things a bit. PHP on Gentoo just got more
> complicated and all I need out of it is squirrelmail. Actually, I
> wish there was a decent webmail client that didn't depend on PHP at
> all so I could remove it.
>
> - Grant

Hi,

Personally, I think slot is a very good way for multiple versions of a
package to co-exist.

You can safely unemerge a specific version of any package by pointing
out its exact signature, i.e.

Replace it with your exact PHP package name.

Best,
--
Yang Nguyen
Web log: http://cmpitg.wordpress.com/

Old 01-05-2011, 05:41 AM
Michael Orlitzky

On 01/04/11 14:42, Grant wrote:

> Thank you, that fixed it. I'm getting some errors in squirrelmail but
> functionality seems to be intact.
>
> Since things seem to be working with php-5.3.4, how can I get rid of
> the older version of php that must be installed in another slot? I'm
> hoping that simplifies things a bit. PHP on Gentoo just got more
> complicated and all I need out of it is squirrelmail. Actually, I
> wish there was a decent webmail client that didn't depend on PHP at
> all so I could remove it.
>
> - Grant

The slotting is just for major versions, so you probably don't have two
installed (you most likely went from 5.3.3 to 5.3.4).

But watch out -- after the eselect, you'll need to move your php.ini
from e.g. /etc/php/apache2 to /etc/php/apache2-php5.3.