Old 01-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Dale

Default Latest unstable ntp not generating ntp.drift file.

Hi,

I been watching my clock here for a while. On my old rig, ntp kept the
clock set very, very well. This rig seems to have issues. I tried the
stable version of ntp and it just seems to keep resetting the time but
not adjusting the drift file at all. I even adjusted manually once and
my entry was better than the one it made.

I then decided to try the latest unstable ntp to see if maybe it would
work better. I emerged ntp, renamed the drift file and started the
service. That was several hours ago and it has yet to even create the
drift file. It also puts nothing in the log file except that it started
and is using ports and the normal stuff. No syncing or anything like
the older version.

Also, I copied the ntp.conf file over from the old rig. I would think
they would work pretty much the same. Same program, same config and
hopefully same results.

First version tried: net-misc/ntp-4.2.4_p7-r1
Current unstable version: net-misc/ntp-4.2.6_p2-r1

When I looked at the ntp website, it said it should sync much faster
than the old one. Basically it is minutes instead of hours. So far
this is not the case.

Anybody else ran into this? Am I missing something that is different on
a 64 bit rig?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 01:31:27 Dale wrote:

> Anybody else ran into this? Am I missing something that is different
> on a 64 bit rig?

I discovered chrony some years ago, which has a sophisticated clock
slewing mechanism, and haven't used ntp since.

Chrony runs on my gateway machine to maintain a stable time source for
the boxes inside, which are a mixture of 32- and 64-bit. I just don't
think about timekeeping any more.

You might want to give it a try.

--
Rgds