Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Jörg Schaible

Default Changing boot device with 2.6.36

Hi Joost,

J. Roeleveld wrote:

> On Monday 03 January 2011 18:43:28 Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> starting with the 2.6.36-r5 kernel of the Gentoo sources my boot device
>> changes. With 2.6.35 and below it is alway /dev/sda3, with the new kernel
>> it seems that anything that is internally connected with USB is assigned
>> a device first. Since my computer has an internal media bay (and my
>> monitor has such a thing also) the first HD moves - it I take care it is
>> now /dev/sde3. However, if I forget to switch on the monitor and do this
>> later or if an USB stick is already plugged in at boot time, the HD gets
>> a different device number again.
>>
>> Can somebody else confirm such a behaviour with the 2.6.36 kernel and how
>> can this brought back to normal operation?
>>
>> - Jörg
>
> One way to avoid USB-devices to be picked up before the kernel picks its
> boot- device is to put the USB-stuff as modules and have them loaded
> later.
>
> I haven't found a way to delay usb-device detection yet.

If nothing else helps ... :-/

- Jörg

Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 09:44:05 Jörg Schaible wrote:
> J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > One way to avoid USB-devices to be picked up before the kernel
> > picks its boot- device is to put the USB-stuff as modules and have
> > them loaded later.
> >
> > I haven't found a way to delay usb-device detection yet.
>
> If nothing else helps ... :-/

As someone remarked a few days ago (Alan? Volker?), a sound strategy is
to have only components that are essential to booting the machine built
into the kernel; all else should be modules.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Stroller

On 4/1/2011, at 9:42am, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Does
>>
>> boot=LABEL=<boot_device_label>
>>
>> in grub config work for you?
>
> I hoped so, but actually no. Grub complains at boot time not finding the
> root device. Is this available in the grub-0.97 series at all?

I found numerous references to this syntax going back to 2005 or
so, and some major distros seem to use it as the default way of
describing "root=" to the kernel.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/23010-root-label-grub-conf.html

However:
http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Using--%22root%3DLABEL%3Dxxxx%22-in-grub.conf-p21909347.html
http://tinyurl.com/2u4srg4

Stroller.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Mick

On 4 January 2011 11:01, Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 January 2011 09:44:05 Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> J. Roeleveld wrote:
>> > One way to avoid USB-devices to be picked up before the kernel
>> > picks its boot- device is to put the USB-stuff as modules and have
>> > them loaded later.
>> >
>> > I haven't found a way to delay usb-device detection yet.
>>
>> If nothing else helps ... :-/
>
> As someone remarked a few days ago (Alan? Volker?), a sound strategy is
> to have only components that are essential to booting the machine built
> into the kernel; all else should be modules.

There's also the device.map file, but if device names change on the
fly each time the machine boots with different things connected to it
... may not be any good for this problem.

Perhaps it's time to upgrade to GRUB2 and use labels - because it
definitely can use them as well as UUID Nos and can also use scripts
which will scan your devices and pick the one you want.

Mick

Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 15:18 on Tuesday 04 January 2011, Stroller did
opine thusly:

> On 4/1/2011, at 9:42am, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> >> Does
> >>
> >> boot=LABEL=<boot_device_label>
> >>
> >> in grub config work for you?
> >
> > I hoped so, but actually no. Grub complains at boot time not finding the
> > root device. Is this available in the grub-0.97 series at all?
>
> I found numerous references to this syntax going back to 2005 or
> so, and some major distros seem to use it as the default way of
> describing "root=" to the kernel.
>
> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/23010-root-label-
> grub-conf.html
> http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/RedHat/2005-01/0026.html
>
> However:
> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Using--%22root%3DLABEL%3Dxxxx%22-in-grub.conf-p
> 21909347.html http://tinyurl.com/2u4srg4
>
> Stroller.

All the major distros I've seen it on also use initrds though (rare in gentoo-
land). I have no idea how it all works, I just know how to type it on a RHEL
box.

Elsewhere in the thread someone mentioned that this syntax relies on an
initrd, and I suspect he may be correct.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

[...]

I tried using labels with the old grub a while back and it didn't work.
Labels in fstab works fine tho. We may have to wait on the new grub to
get finished.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Alex Schuster

Dale writes:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> Apparently, though unproven, at 15:18 on Tuesday 04 January 2011, Stroller did
>> opine thusly:
>>
>>> I found numerous references to this syntax going back to 2005 or
>>> so, and some major distros seem to use it as the default way of
>>> describing "root=" to the kernel.
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/23010-root-label-
>>> grub-conf.html
>>> http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/RedHat/2005-01/0026.html
>>>
>>> However:
>>> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Using--%22root%3DLABEL%3Dxxxx%22-in-grub.conf-p
>>> 21909347.html http://tinyurl.com/2u4srg4
>>>
>>> Stroller.
>>
>> All the major distros I've seen it on also use initrds though (rare in gentoo-
>> land). I have no idea how it all works, I just know how to type it on a RHEL
>> box.

I am using an initrd, I need it since my root partition is encrypted.
It's generated and copied to /boot with 'genkernel --install --luks
--lvm all', but you have to have CLEAN="no" in /etc/genkernel.conf or
genkernel will create its own .config.

>> Elsewhere in the thread someone mentioned that this syntax relies on an
>> initrd, and I suspect he may be correct.

And Stroller's 3rd link also does this.

> I tried using labels with the old grub a while back and it didn't work.
> Labels in fstab works fine tho. We may have to wait on the new grub to
> get finished

I would be surprised if it had this feature. AFAIK grub is already done
at this stage, the kernel has taken over. And I guess it does not know
about the LABEL= syntax, and has no code to scan all devices for file
system labels.
With an initramfs, the kernel runs an init script which can do various
stuff, like probing all devices for file system labels.

Wonko

Old 01-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Mick

On Wednesday 05 January 2011 00:55:49 Alex Schuster wrote:
> Dale writes:
> > Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >> Apparently, though unproven, at 15:18 on Tuesday 04 January 2011,
> >> Stroller did
> >>
> >> opine thusly:

> >> All the major distros I've seen it on also use initrds though (rare in
> >> gentoo- land). I have no idea how it all works, I just know how to type
> >> it on a RHEL box.
>
> I am using an initrd, I need it since my root partition is encrypted.
> It's generated and copied to /boot with 'genkernel --install --luks
> --lvm all', but you have to have CLEAN="no" in /etc/genkernel.conf or
> genkernel will create its own .config.
>
> >> Elsewhere in the thread someone mentioned that this syntax relies on an
> >> initrd, and I suspect he may be correct.
>
> And Stroller's 3rd link also does this.
>
> > I tried using labels with the old grub a while back and it didn't work.
> > Labels in fstab works fine tho. We may have to wait on the new grub to
> > get finished
>
> I would be surprised if it had this feature. AFAIK grub is already done
> at this stage, the kernel has taken over. And I guess it does not know
> about the LABEL= syntax, and has no code to scan all devices for file
> system labels.
> With an initramfs, the kernel runs an init script which can do various
> stuff, like probing all devices for file system labels.

I understand that GRUB2 has bash scripting capabilities which can can use the
command 'search' to probe devices at boot time and use things like UUID and
LABEL. Not sure if an initrd is required. I could be wrong though - I have
not had the time to experiment with it yet.
Mick

Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Jörg Schaible

Hi,

Dale wrote:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> Apparently, though unproven, at 15:18 on Tuesday 04 January 2011,
>> Stroller did opine thusly:
>>

>>> I found numerous references to this syntax going back to 2005 or
>>> so, and some major distros seem to use it as the default way of
>>> describing "root=" to the kernel.
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/23010-root-
label-
>>> grub-conf.html
>>> http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/RedHat/2005-01/0026.html
>>>
>>> However:
>>> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Using--%22root%3DLABEL%3Dxxxx%22-in-
grub.conf-p
>>> 21909347.html http://tinyurl.com/2u4srg4
>>>
>>> Stroller.
>>>

>> All the major distros I've seen it on also use initrds though (rare in
>> gentoo- land). I have no idea how it all works, I just know how to type
>> it on a RHEL box.
>>
>> Elsewhere in the thread someone mentioned that this syntax relies on an
>> initrd, and I suspect he may be correct.
>
> I tried using labels with the old grub a while back and it didn't work.
> Labels in fstab works fine tho. We may have to wait on the new grub to
> get finished.

that approves my tests ... :-/

Had to boot this morning 5 times, since the root device switched arbitrarily
between sde3 and sdg3 and I've chosen by bad luck always the wrong one. It
seems there is also some timing involved regarding the initialization of the
available devices ... sigh.

- Jörg

Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Jörg Schaible

Hi Alex,

Alex Schuster wrote:

> Dale writes:
>
>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>>> Apparently, though unproven, at 15:18 on Tuesday 04 January 2011,
>>> Stroller did opine thusly:

>>> All the major distros I've seen it on also use initrds though (rare in
>>> gentoo- land). I have no idea how it all works, I just know how to type
>>> it on a RHEL box.
>
> I am using an initrd, I need it since my root partition is encrypted.
> It's generated and copied to /boot with 'genkernel --install --luks
> --lvm all', but you have to have CLEAN="no" in /etc/genkernel.conf or
> genkernel will create its own .config.
>
>>> Elsewhere in the thread someone mentioned that this syntax relies on an
>>> initrd, and I suspect he may be correct.
>
> And Stroller's 3rd link also does this.
>
>> I tried using labels with the old grub a while back and it didn't work.
>> Labels in fstab works fine tho. We may have to wait on the new grub to
>> get finished
>
> I would be surprised if it had this feature. AFAIK grub is already done
> at this stage, the kernel has taken over. And I guess it does not know
> about the LABEL= syntax, and has no code to scan all devices for file
> system labels.

I fear so, too. Grub finds the boot device properly, it's the kernel
complaining about the value in the root option.

> With an initramfs, the kernel runs an init script which can do various
> stuff, like probing all devices for file system labels.

I never had the need for an initrd.

- Jörg