Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Jörg Schaible

Default Changing boot device with 2.6.36

Hi,

starting with the 2.6.36-r5 kernel of the Gentoo sources my boot device
changes. With 2.6.35 and below it is alway /dev/sda3, with the new kernel it
seems that anything that is internally connected with USB is assigned a
device first. Since my computer has an internal media bay (and my monitor
has such a thing also) the first HD moves - it I take care it is now
/dev/sde3. However, if I forget to switch on the monitor and do this later
or if an USB stick is already plugged in at boot time, the HD gets a
different device number again.

Can somebody else confirm such a behaviour with the 2.6.36 kernel and how
can this brought back to normal operation?

- Jörg

Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Mark Knecht

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> starting with the 2.6.36-r5 kernel of the Gentoo sources my boot device
> changes. With 2.6.35 and below it is alway /dev/sda3, with the new kernel it
> seems that anything that is internally connected with USB is assigned a
> device first. Since my computer has an internal media bay (and my monitor
> has such a thing also) the first HD moves - it I take care it is now
> /dev/sde3. However, if I forget to switch on the monitor and do this later
> or if an USB stick is already plugged in at boot time, the HD gets a
> different device number again.
>
> Can somebody else confirm such a behaviour with the 2.6.36 kernel and how
> can this brought back to normal operation?
>
> - Jörg

Hello Jorg,
I saw something similar recently going to the first version of
2.6.36. In my case I had a USB device externally connected through a
specific USB hub. When I got rid of the hub and plugged the drive in
directly it started booting correctly again.

I don't see this with 2,6,36 with Flash drives plugged in but none
of mine are bootable.

I never investigated the root cause of why it was happening but I
suspect it's some USB kernel setting.

Strangeness.

- Mark

Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 PM