-   -   How 2 disable synaptic pad (driver) (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/471572-how-2-disable-synaptic-pad-driver.html)

James 01-03-2011 03:46 AM

How 2 disable synaptic pad (driver)

Hello, so I got xorg-server
working just fine on several machines.......(*!/#FFF....)

Now I want to disable the synaptic pad on a laptop.
The first laptop I want to do this to is working without
any xorg.conf file nor a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ dir.....

This chipset is a RADEON XPRESS 20M (5955)

So is this file the best one to try to disable the synaptic driver?
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

Suggestions are most welcome as googling has not
produced much, related to xorg-server-1.9.2
and how to disable the synaptic pad (driver).

James

01-03-2011 06:57 AM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011, James wrote:

> Hello, so I got xorg-server
> working just fine on several machines.......(*!/#FFF....)
>
> Now I want to disable the synaptic pad on a laptop.
> The first laptop I want to do this to is working without
> any xorg.conf file nor a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ dir.....
>
> This chipset is a RADEON XPRESS 20M (5955)
>
> So is this file the best one to try to disable the synaptic driver?
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
>
> Suggestions are most welcome as googling has not
> produced much, related to xorg-server-1.9.2
> and how to disable the synaptic pad (driver).
>
> James

hi james,

i know of 2 methods - either using synclient or xinput. if the synclient method
doesn't work, simply install xinput and the latter one should work.

cat ~/bin/toggle-touchpad
#/bin/sh
# synclient version
if(synclient -l | grep "TouchpadOff" | grep -q "0") ; then
synclient TouchpadOff=1
else
synclient TouchpadOff=0
fi

cat ~/bin/toggle-touchpad
#/bin/sh
# xinput version
if(xinput list-props TouchPad | grep "Synaptics Off" | grep -q "0") ; then
xinput set-int-prop TouchPad "Synaptics Off" 8 1
else
xinput set-int-prop TouchPad "Synaptics Off" 8 0
fi

xing

Mick 01-03-2011 09:41 AM

On Monday 03 January 2011 07:57:10 xing@synapse.plus.com wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2011, James wrote:
> > Hello, so I got xorg-server
> > working just fine on several machines.......(*!/#FFF....)
> >
> > Now I want to disable the synaptic pad on a laptop.
> > The first laptop I want to do this to is working without
> > any xorg.conf file nor a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ dir.....
> >
> > This chipset is a RADEON XPRESS 20M (5955)
> >
> > So is this file the best one to try to disable the synaptic driver?
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
> >
> > Suggestions are most welcome as googling has not
> > produced much, related to xorg-server-1.9.2
> > and how to disable the synaptic pad (driver).
> >
> > James
>
> hi james,
>
> i know of 2 methods - either using synclient or xinput. if the synclient
> method doesn't work, simply install xinput and the latter one should work.

> cat ~/bin/toggle-touchpad
> #/bin/sh
> # synclient version
> if(synclient -l | grep "TouchpadOff" | grep -q "0") ; then
> synclient TouchpadOff=1
> else
> synclient TouchpadOff=0
> fi

> cat ~/bin/toggle-touchpad
> #/bin/sh
> # xinput version
> if(xinput list-props TouchPad | grep "Synaptics Off" | grep -q "0") ; then
> xinput set-int-prop TouchPad "Synaptics Off" 8 1
> else
> xinput set-int-prop TouchPad "Synaptics Off" 8 0
> fi

Or if you want to use the xorg configuration files you can try creating:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

and adding the option:

Option "TouchpadOff" "1"

under the synaptics class, or set it to "2" if you want only tapping &
scrolling switched off.

If this does not work (as was the case here) then you can instead modify
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf (but will be overwritten when you
remerge/update evdev).

If this still does not work <sigh...> then evdev will not do it - you need
instead the synaptics driver to load and capture the events from your
touchpad. I assume that this may be a rare case, but since I came across it
this is what you need to try:

Add Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off" in your Section "ServerLayout" of
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Then modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf or
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf and add Option "TouchpadOff" "1"
in there.

Theoretically, files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ should take precedence over
files in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/, but practically this is not always the
case.

HTH
Mick

James 01-03-2011 03:21 PM

Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > > Now I want to disable the synaptic pad on a laptop.

> Or if you want to use the xorg configuration files you can try creating:
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
> and adding the option:

> Option "TouchpadOff" "1"

FANTASTIC!

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "touchpad catchall"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Option "TouchpadOff" "1"
Driver "synaptics"

Works like a charm!

thx Mick,
James

Mick 01-03-2011 04:19 PM

On Monday 03 January 2011 16:21:41 James wrote:

> > Or if you want to use the xorg configuration files you can try creating:
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
> >
> > and adding the option:
> > Option "TouchpadOff" "1"
>
> FANTASTIC!
>

> Section "InputClass"
> Identifier "touchpad catchall"
> MatchIsTouchpad "on"
> MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
> Option "TouchpadOff" "1"
> Driver "synaptics"
>

> Works like a charm!
>
> thx Mick,
> James

You're welcome! Glad it works for you, because over here I had to go back and
forth to get things working (mind you I was trying to do achieve the opposite
functionality to yours).
Mick