Old 01-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Mick

Default Xorg 1.9.2 and wrong display size

On Sunday 02 January 2011 21:18:14 felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 01:07:40PM -0800, walt wrote:
> > On 01/02/2011 11:25 AM, felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> > > My 1.9.2 upgrade didn't lose the keys, but it thinks the screen has
> > > fewer pixels than before, and what it does use is pushed off to the
> > > right (there is a column down the left side, roughly 10-20% of the
> > > screen, which is inaccessible).
> > >
> > > I've included 3 logs -- the working 1.8.2, the failing 1.9.2, and the
> > > failing /var/log/Xorg.0.log...
> >
> > The 'failing' log shows that the new Xorg-server is using the MACH64
> > driver, but your 'working' 1.8.2 log is truncated, so it doesn't tell us
> > which video driver it was using successfully.
>
> I'm about 99% certain that it has always used the mach64 driver. I
> wish I had an old enough backup to recover an old log, but this
> current size screwup has been in effect for a while. It's mostly a
> server, so X isn't vital, but I do want to get it working again.
>
> > Given only 8MB of video memory, maybe the vesa driver would work better?
> > Dunno. Does your BIOS have a setting for the video "aperture"?

You may get better results if you enable KMS in your kernel.

Mick

Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 AM

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 12:33:18AM +0000, Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 02 January 2011 21:18:14 felix@crowfix.com wrote:

> > > The 'failing' log shows that the new Xorg-server is using the MACH64
> > > driver, but your 'working' 1.8.2 log is truncated, so it doesn't tell us
> > > which video driver it was using successfully.
> >
> > I'm about 99% certain that it has always used the mach64 driver. I
> > wish I had an old enough backup to recover an old log, but this
> > current size screwup has been in effect for a while. It's mostly a
> > server, so X isn't vital, but I do want to get it working again.
> >
> > > Given only 8MB of video memory, maybe the vesa driver would work better?
> > > Dunno. Does your BIOS have a setting for the video "aperture"?
>
> You may get better results if you enable KMS in your kernel.

Hmmm ... I hadn't remembered KMS until I googled it, so I tried this ...

# grep KMS /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y
# CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS is not set

Is that good enough? I gather I915 is the Intel graphics.

I modprobe'd drm_kms_helper and the resultant Xorg log was exactly the
same except for one date/time stamp and all those [nnnnnn.nnn] times
at the beginning of each line.

I bit of googling found several old web pages, but they seemed somehow
not very useful. One said I have to disable the framebuffers, not
because they are dangerous, but because they don't support KMS. Since
X unloads the framebuffer module, I won't worry about that.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 01-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Mick

On Monday 03 January 2011 01:21:46 felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 12:33:18AM +0000, Mick wrote:

> > > I'm about 99% certain that it has always used the mach64 driver. I
> > > wish I had an old enough backup to recover an old log, but this
> > > current size screwup has been in effect for a while. It's mostly a
> > > server, so X isn't vital, but I do want to get it working again.

> > You may get better results if you enable KMS in your kernel.
>
> Hmmm ... I hadn't remembered KMS until I googled it, so I tried this ...
>
> # grep KMS /usr/src/linux/.config
> CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y
> # CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS is not set
>
> Is that good enough? I gather I915 is the Intel graphics.
>
> I modprobe'd drm_kms_helper and the resultant Xorg log was exactly the
> same except for one date/time stamp and all those [nnnnnn.nnn] times
> at the beginning of each line.
>
> I bit of googling found several old web pages, but they seemed somehow
> not very useful. One said I have to disable the framebuffers, not
> because they are dangerous, but because they don't support KMS. Since
> X unloads the framebuffer module, I won't worry about that.

KMS won't work with framebuffer modules like vesa/uvesa/radeonfb/etc. unless
you also add nomodeset at the kernel line in GRUB.

Instead of me repeating it all, I suggest you have look at:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xm

(but ignore what it says about HAL and its .fdi configuration files, because
it is out of date with xorg-server-1.9.2)

and also read:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml
Mick

Old 01-03-2011, 04:12 PM

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 09:37:23AM +0000, Mick wrote:

> KMS won't work with framebuffer modules like vesa/uvesa/radeonfb/etc. unless
> you also add nomodeset at the kernel line in GRUB.

I'm not using those modules. Unless KMS actively breaks because those
modules exist but aren't loaded, I don't see how framebuffer modules
are the problem.

> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xm

I added VIDEO_CARDS and remerged xorg-server and xorg-drivers. This
made no difference; the log file is exactly the same other than a
minor Mhz change.

> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml

It tells how to set up a config file for 1.8, which I had working
without a config file, so this particular upgrade guide seems rather
useless. My only problem is that 1.9.2 doesn't set the right screen
size. That probably does point to KMS in some manner, but a 1.8
upgrade guide doesn't deal with it.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Dale

felix@crowfix.com wrote:

[...]

I ran into a weird video issue a month or so ago and there was a lot of
head scratching. Just out of curiosity, do you have this built into the
kernel under 'General Setup"?

System V IPC

Again, I have that built in the kernel not as a module. It fixed my
problem and I hope it will help on yours to.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Mick

On Monday 03 January 2011 17:12:11 felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 09:37:23AM +0000, Mick wrote:
> > KMS won't work with framebuffer modules like vesa/uvesa/radeonfb/etc.
> > unless you also add nomodeset at the kernel line in GRUB.
>
> I'm not using those modules. Unless KMS actively breaks because those
> modules exist but aren't loaded, I don't see how framebuffer modules
> are the problem.
>
> > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xm

I don't know because on my boxen I had the framebuffer modules built in the
kernel. Therefore I had to recompile the kernel with all the KMS settings as
suggested in the article above and remove the framebuffer modules completely.

> I added VIDEO_CARDS and remerged xorg-server and xorg-drivers. This
> made no difference; the log file is exactly the same other than a
> minor Mhz change.
>
> > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide
> > .xml
>
> It tells how to set up a config file for 1.8, which I had working
> without a config file, so this particular upgrade guide seems rather
> useless. My only problem is that 1.9.2 doesn't set the right screen
> size. That probably does point to KMS in some manner, but a 1.8
> upgrade guide doesn't deal with it.

I think that the solution is probably to go for the full KMS approach and
remove the framebuffer modules as already suggested. Then come back if it
doesn't work.

The xorg-server-1.8 migration is necessary if you need to configure particular
devices. HAL and its fdi files are no longer used. In absence of any other
configuration files under /etc/X11/*, xorg will use the files in
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/* which may or may not agree with your hardware.
That's what the xorg-server-1.8 migration URL is for.
Mick

Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 12:12:41PM -0600, Dale wrote:

> I ran into a weird video issue a month or so ago and there was a lot of
> head scratching. Just out of curiosity, do you have this built into the
> kernel under 'General Setup"?
>
> System V IPC
>
> Again, I have that built in the kernel not as a module. It fixed my
> problem and I hope it will help on yours to.

I just checked, yes, builtin, not a module.

One of the most annoying gentoo habits I have developed is learning to
live with things that break for no apparent reason and fix themselves
for no apparent reason some time later, whether days or weeks. This
one has been a problem for months now, but since I reboot as seldom as
possible, and leave X running for weeks or months at a time, I don't
know how long it has been broken.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Dale

felix@crowfix.com wrote:

I ran into a weird video issue a month or so ago and there was a lot of
head scratching. Just out of curiosity, do you have this built into the
kernel under 'General Setup"?

System V IPC

Again, I have that built in the kernel not as a module. It fixed my
problem and I hope it will help on yours to.

I just checked, yes, builtin, not a module.

One of the most annoying gentoo habits I have developed is learning to
live with things that break for no apparent reason and fix themselves
for no apparent reason some time later, whether days or weeks. This
one has been a problem for months now, but since I reboot as seldom as
possible, and leave X running for weeks or months at a time, I don't
know how long it has been broken.

If no one else has any ideas, I would start a emerge -e world. Maybe
something updated and a dependency needs to be recompiled but no one
else knows which one it is. I have in the past done this and it work.
I usually start a screen session so that I can check on it either in a
console or in KDE. You can also test it to see if it works from time to
time too. Just run etc-update or something to check for config updates
before testing

Maybe someone else will come up with something that will help. No clue
here, at the moment anyway.

Dale

:-) :-)