Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 PM
"Benjamen R. Meyer"

Default Gentoo Firewall & UPNP

I would like to be able to fully participate in Torrents for downloading
ISO, such as the Gentoo ISOs. However, since my gentoo/iptables firewall
currently is not forwarding any ports to my client systems, so I appear
as a torrent leech - I'd like to try to change that.

I'm using kTorrent under Gentoo/KDE, which supports interfacing via UPNP
to enable specific forwarding, which I would like to try to take
advantage of for security reasons.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_UPnP_with_IPTables

I noticed the URL above on how to do UPNP via linux-igd, but I'm not
sure that's what I want. I searched emerge for UPNP and saw a number of
packages in the list. I was wondering if anyone here has had any
experience (good/bad/otherwise) on setting up a Gentoo-based ipTables
Firewall for UPNP, or what packages people might recommend for it.

While I am mostly concerned with having kTorrent work on my Gentoo
Desktop, I might also be interested in using BitTorrent on a Win2k
Laptop too - I don't know if it supports UPnP or not (possible), but if
it was easy to support, I might be inclined to. (If not, no big loss.)
So I'd welcome thoughts on that as well towards the above questions.

TIA,

Ben