-   -   SVGA mode & the console (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/471316-svga-mode-console.html)

01-02-2011 12:57 PM

SVGA mode & the console

Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> [11-01-02 14:08]:
> On Sunday 02 January 2011 11:28:09 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there is a "small" linux distribution (GRML), which I use for rescue
> > and other purposes. I installed it on a USB-stick.
> >
> > Furthermore installed in my PC there is a MSI GT430 (nvidia) graphics
> > card and I use the nvidia-driver in conjunction with xorg 1.9.2.
> >
> > So far so nice...
> >
> > The GRML uses the noveau driver as far as I know.
> >
> > When I boot from my USB-stick I get a very nice high resolution
> > linux console. It uses vga=791 on the kernel commandline.
> >
> > When I use the same option with my kernel (2.6.36.2 vanilla) it
> > ends in a console font/resolution which reminds me at the good
> > old times when 8bit homecomputers were the dream of many people
> > and PACMAN was top! ;)
> >
> > I tried "vga=asK" and then "scan" but the highest resolution I was
> > offered were 80x60 and only VGA-modes, which again looks like the
> > "high resolution textmode" of my old ATARI 800...and not like that
> > nice looking console which I get with the same hardware and the GRML
> > distro.
> >
> > I compared both the kernel config of the GRML distro and my
> > own but I didn't found nay suspicious (or overlooked something?).
> >

> > Final question after all there words: How can I get such a high
> > resolution with this hardware and the nvidia-drivers???
>
> I think that the "nice high resolution" you see with GRML is presented by the
> framebuffer. You only get this once the kernel starts to load. Until then
> you get a very basic VGA screen, which the GRML may not show at all (in other
> words the first visual impression of a LiveCD may be the framebuffer console).
>
> With the latest versions CDs which use KMS (e.g. SystemrescueCD) the two
> stages VGA-->framebuffer are visible if I recall correctly.
>
> With regards to your own kernel, are you using KMS? If so, once the kernel
> starts loading the KMS will dictate what resolution you get. If this is too
> small to read (I think it will render the highest resolution possible) or you
> want to set some custom resolution for whatever reason, then add nomodeset to
> the kernel line in your grub.conf and also restore the vga=XXX line you had
> there previously.
>
> HTH.
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Hi Mick,

unfortunately the nvidia driver does not support KMS...see the Gentoo
docs.

Best regards,
mcc

01-02-2011 12:57 PM

SVGA mode & the console

Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> [11-01-02 14:12]:
> On 01/02/2011 01:28 PM, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >there is a "small" linux distribution (GRML), which I use for rescue
> >and other purposes. I installed it on a USB-stick.
> >
> >Furthermore installed in my PC there is a MSI GT430 (nvidia) graphics
> >card and I use the nvidia-driver in conjunction with xorg 1.9.2.
> >
> >So far so nice...
> >
> >The GRML uses the noveau driver as far as I know.
> >
> >When I boot from my USB-stick I get a very nice high resolution
> >linux console. It uses vga=791 on the kernel commandline.
>
> Nouveau uses KMS, which means it automatically uses the monitor's
> native resolution and supports all resolutions the graphics card is
> capable of.
>
> On your PC, you're using the VESA fb driver, not Nouveau KMS. That
> means you're limited to VESA resolutions for your consoles. You can
> use the "vbetest" utility to detect which modes your card's VESA BIOS
> supports. To use this tool, emerge the "sys-libs/lrmi" package.
> Simply run the tool and it will print a list of modes you can use, and
> the resolutions those modes correspond to.
>
> If your desired resolution is not in the list, then there's no way to
> use that resolution in a VESA fb; you will need to switch to Nouveau's
> KMS fb.

Hi Nikos,

unfortunately lrmi fails to compile.

Best regards,
mcc

Nikos Chantziaras 01-02-2011 01:14 PM

SVGA mode & the console

On 01/02/2011 03:57 PM, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

[...]

You can boot an older Live CD (something like Ubuntu 9.x) that has this
tool. Run the tool there and save the output for future reference.

Nikos Chantziaras 01-02-2011 01:19 PM

SVGA mode & the console