Old 01-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Paul Hartman

Default SVGA mode & the console

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> uvesafb will not give you extra resolutions. *It will however allow you to
> use non-default refresh-rates which is sometimes useful with CRT monitors.
>
> But it has a drawback too: it needs a userspace tool and resolution is
> switched too late during the boot process, meaning until it loads you'll be
> seeing the kernel boot in 80x25 mode (which in turn means no boot
> graphics/logo right from the start.)

I use uvesafb and I can see Tux (eight of him) during my boot process
before uvesafb kicks in.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 01/03/2011 10:23 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@arcor.de> wrote:

uvesafb will not give you extra resolutions. It will however allow you to
use non-default refresh-rates which is sometimes useful with CRT monitors.

But it has a drawback too: it needs a userspace tool and resolution is
switched too late during the boot process, meaning until it loads you'll be
seeing the kernel boot in 80x25 mode (which in turn means no boot
graphics/logo right from the start.)

I use uvesafb and I can see Tux (eight of him) during my boot process
before uvesafb kicks in.

I mean more something like this when I say "boot logo":

http://mjanusz.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/shot.png

It's at least 10 years since I saw that default Tux boot thingy :-P But
anyway, if uvesafb hasn't kicked in yet, what on earth is drawing that Tux?

Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 AM

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> [11-01-03 17:27]:
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 5:28 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Final question after all there words: How can I get such a high
> > resolution with this hardware and the nvidia-drivers???
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/
>
> Works for me on ~amd64 gentoo with nvidia-drivers

Hi all,

thank you very much for all the input !

And....(TADA!).....it works now!

Very last question:
Is there any way to test what font looks best without haveing
to boot each time ?

Best regards,
mcc

Old 01-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Hung Dang

Hi,

You can try to modify the default font in /etc/conf.d/consolefont and
restart /etc/init.d/consolefont to see if the new font look OK for you
or not. The terminus-font looks OK for me.

Hope this help
Hung

Old 01-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Very last question:
> Is there any way to test what font looks best without haveing
> to boot each time ?

setfont

Old 01-04-2011, 04:14 PM

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> [11-01-04 17:28]:
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Very last question:
> > Is there any way to test what font looks best without haveing
> > to boot each time ?
>
> setfont

Hi all,

thank you very much for your help again!
Now I have a beautiful console!
Long lives Linux!

Best regards,
mcc

Old 01-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 18:03 on Tuesday 04 January 2011, Paul Hartman
did opine thusly:

> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> > On 01/03/2011 10:23 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:

> >> I use uvesafb and I can see Tux (eight of him) during my boot process
> >> before uvesafb kicks in.
> >
> > I mean more something like this when I say "boot logo":
> >
> > http://mjanusz.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/shot.png
> >
> > It's at least 10 years since I saw that default Tux boot thingy :-P But
> > anyway, if uvesafb hasn't kicked in yet, what on earth is drawing that
> > Tux?
>
> Ah-ha, I think that's bootsplash (which I'm not using). I've only
> seen it on a Live CD.
>
> In my kernel config I have enabled VESA framebuffer as well as
> userspace framebuffer (uvesafb), and I enabled "Bootup Logo". So maybe
> what happens is that VESA framebuffer starts immediately into some
> default resolution, I see eight Tuxs (Tuxes?), then shortly thereafter
> the uvesafb kicks in and video mode changes to the one I specified. At
> least that's how it seems to happen. I reboot so rarely that I never
> gave it much thought.

It's the VESA framebuffer that does it, nothing to do with bootsplash.

Look at the help text for CONFIG_FB_VESA in menuconfig.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com