Old 01-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Stroller

Default disk /dev entry

On 1/1/2011, at 9:38pm, Daniel D Jones wrote:

> These are both SATA disks. ... I thought all SATA disks would show up as sd* and EIDE
> disks showed up as hd*.

That's weird.

In `make menuconfig` what does this part say?

Device Drivers --->
< > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED)
<*> Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers --->

Stroller.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 23:38 on Saturday 01 January 2011, Daniel D
Jones did opine thusly:

> This is more of a curiosity question than a problem. I just added a new
> diskdrive to my system. It's the same model as one I already have
> installed. lshw shows the following for the two disks:
>
> *-disk:2
> product: ST31000528AS
> vendor: Seagate
> physical id: 0.0.0
> bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
> logical name: /dev/sdc
> version: CC37
> serial: 9VP21EZB
> size: 931GiB (1TB)
> capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
> configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=2adeb97b
>

> *-disk
> product: ST31000528AS
> vendor: Seagate
> physical id: 0
> bus info: ide@1.0
> logical name: /dev/hdc
> version: CC3E
> serial: 9VP9G4VW
> size: 931GiB (1TB)
> capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm partitioned
> partitioned:dos
> configuration: signature=1e89b64b smart=on
>

> These are both SATA disks. Why is the first one showing up as /dev/sdc and
> the second as /dev/hdc? I thought all SATA disks would show up as sd* and
> EIDE disks showed up as hd*.
>
> I note that the bus info is different - one showing the scsi bus and one
> the ide bus. Both devices are plugged into a row of SATA ports on my
> mobo.

Maybe the new disk is set to IDE mode as shipped?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanasis

on 01/02/2011 12:22 AM Alan McKinnon wrote the following:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 23:38 on Saturday 01 January 2011, Daniel D
> Jones did opine thusly:
>
>> This is more of a curiosity question than a problem. I just added a new
>> diskdrive to my system. It's the same model as one I already have
>> installed. lshw shows the following for the two disks:
>>
>> *-disk:2
>> product: ST31000528AS
>> vendor: Seagate
>> physical id: 0.0.0
>> bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
>> logical name: /dev/sdc
>> version: CC37
>> serial: 9VP21EZB
>> size: 931GiB (1TB)
>> capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
>> configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=2adeb97b
>>

>> *-disk
>> product: ST31000528AS
>> vendor: Seagate
>> physical id: 0
>> bus info: ide@1.0
>> logical name: /dev/hdc
>> version: CC3E
>> serial: 9VP9G4VW
>> size: 931GiB (1TB)
>> capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm partitioned
>> partitioned:dos
>> configuration: signature=1e89b64b smart=on
>>

>> These are both SATA disks. Why is the first one showing up as /dev/sdc and
>> the second as /dev/hdc? I thought all SATA disks would show up as sd* and
>> EIDE disks showed up as hd*.
>>
>> I note that the bus info is different - one showing the scsi bus and one
>> the ide bus. Both devices are plugged into a row of SATA ports on my
>> mobo.
>
> Maybe the new disk is set to IDE mode as shipped?

or maybe the controller of the second disk is set to IDE in BIOS ...