Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Daniel D Jones

Default disk /dev entry

This is more of a curiosity question than a problem. I just added a new
diskdrive to my system. It's the same model as one I already have installed.
lshw shows the following for the two disks:

*-disk:2
product: ST31000528AS
vendor: Seagate
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sdc
version: CC37
serial: 9VP21EZB
size: 931GiB (1TB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=2adeb97b

*-disk
product: ST31000528AS
vendor: Seagate
physical id: 0
bus info: ide@1.0
logical name: /dev/hdc
version: CC3E
serial: 9VP9G4VW
size: 931GiB (1TB)
capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm partitioned
partitioned:dos
configuration: signature=1e89b64b smart=on

These are both SATA disks. Why is the first one showing up as /dev/sdc and the
second as /dev/hdc? I thought all SATA disks would show up as sd* and EIDE
disks showed up as hd*.

I note that the bus info is different - one showing the scsi bus and one the
ide bus. Both devices are plugged into a row of SATA ports on my mobo.

--
"It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it." - Steven Wright