Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default Good file system that recovers from a power failure.

On Friday 31 December 2010 16:27:02 Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > When was the last time portage offered you a reiser update?
> >
> > The reiser4progs ebuild has 13 Changelog entries in 2.5 years, 8 of them
> > are stabilisation toe various arches. Current version is 1.0.7 and has
> > been there for 23 months.
> >
> > reiserfsprogs is similar, on 3.6.21 for 23 months and one update (not a
> > stabilisation) since Aug 2007
> >
> > reiser4 is not in the mainline kernel, and highly unlikely to ever be
> > there according to the last thing I heard Linus say on the matter. Yes,
> > it's in Zen IIRC, but Zen is not mainline. And reiser4 will probably
> > never have a real fsck either (technical restriction - it's plugins
> > that do the work and fsck cannot know what the plugins did)
> >
> > Hans *was* reiserfs for all practical purposes. SuSE funded most of
> > Reiserfs in the early days and they have switched away from it for
> > logistic reasons.
> >
> > Does any of that sound to you like "actively maintained"?
> >
> > It's my opinion that reiser is in security-fix-only mode from whoever is
> > maintaining it. If everything else around it stays the same, the fs will
> > obviously continue working just as it always did. But the surrounding
> > system is not stable, it changes rapidly, especially in kernel space,
> > so the odds are stacked against reiser for bitrot. For all these
> > reasons, I regretfully switched my own systems over to ext4 some time
> > ago. Rieser was a good fs whose time has come and gone and I no longer
> > had warm and fuzzies about the future with it.
>
> I'm not sure I EVER saw a update to reiserfs. I was hoping it was just
> that good. lol

you are obviously not subscribed to the reiserfs ml. There are the occasional
fixes and lately even some (minor) updates.

Being in maintenance mode is a GOOD THING for a file system.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

Apparently, though unproven, at 00:27 on Saturday 01 January 2011, Dale did
opine thusly:

It's my opinion that reiser is in security-fix-only mode from whoever is
maintaining it. If everything else around it stays the same, the fs will
obviously continue working just as it always did. But the surrounding
system is not stable, it changes rapidly, especially in kernel space, so
the odds are stacked against reiser for bitrot. For all these reasons, I
regretfully switched my own systems over to ext4 some time ago. Rieser
was a good fs whose time has come and gone and I no longer had warm and
fuzzies about the future with it.

I'm not sure I EVER saw a update to reiserfs. I was hoping it was just
that good. lol

This is also the reason I was considering moving to ext4 or something.
How has ext4 been treating you since the switch? I also assume you have
UPSs as well?

It's still early days, but ext4 has been good here on all machines. I don't
have a UPS (couldn't be bothered really...) so the UPS is the device's
battery. Which means me doing something really stupid and locking the machine
up is the most common reason for hard reboots. It survived every time so far.

That sounds good. Your situation is not a theory but real and in
practice. We all know what happens to theories. :-(

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Dale