Old 12-31-2010, 07:37 PM

Default xorg 1.9.2 and "nodead keys" ?

Hi

after updateing to xorg server 1.9.2. first my keyboard layout has
gone, which I got back via adding an appropiate option to 10-evdev.conf.

Unfortunately I could not find any option to get back the nodead-keys.

What do I have to add where for that?

Best regards and a happy new year!
mcc

Old 12-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Hartmut Figge

meino.cramer@gmx.de:

> after updateing to xorg server 1.9.2. first my keyboard layout has
> gone,

Same here.

> which I got back via adding an appropiate option to 10-evdev.conf.

Lucky one. *g*

Googling shows that this file should be located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.
Well, i do not have such a directory and am considering to create one.

> Unfortunately I could not find any option to get back the nodead-keys.

That one i will need also.

> What do I have to add where for that?

Lurking.

--
Hartmut

Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Hartmut Figge

Hartmut Figge:
> meino.cramer@gmx.de:

>> Unfortunately I could not find any option to get back the nodead-keys.
>
> That one i will need also.

The main problem was that after upgrading there was a pointer to
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.9-upgrade-guide.xml
which was quite useless, but no pointer to the real information on
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml

I had to create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, to copy the file 10-evdev.conf
from /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d and then to modify that 10-evdev.conf.

At the moment i am unable to copy & paste from the mc. I have still to
figure out how the mouse under X11 can recognize gpm, but i can manually
type the needed lines.

Driver "evdev"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
Option "XKbVariant" "nodeadkeys"

--
Hartmut

Old 01-01-2011, 03:15 AM

Hartmut Figge <h.figge@gmx.de> [11-01-01 02:15]:
> Hartmut Figge:
> > meino.cramer@gmx.de:
>
> >> Unfortunately I could not find any option to get back the nodead-keys.
> >
> > That one i will need also.
>
> The main problem was that after upgrading there was a pointer to
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.9-upgrade-guide.xml
> which was quite useless, but no pointer to the real information on
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml
>
> I had to create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, to copy the file 10-evdev.conf
> from /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d and then to modify that 10-evdev.conf.
>
> At the moment i am unable to copy & paste from the mc. I have still to
> figure out how the mouse under X11 can recognize gpm, but i can manually
> type the needed lines.
>
> Driver "evdev"
> Option "XkbLayout" "de"
> Option "XKbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
>
> --
> Hartmut

Hi Hartmut,

Thank you for your input -- it works for me so far.
Nevertheless I am alittle confused...

1.) gpm and copy'n'paste on the console and under X11 works for me.
2.) my 10-evdev.conf is located under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
3.) The option I am using for the german keyboard layout is 'Option "xkb_layout" "de"'
and it works.

May it possible, that you have to recompile xf86-input-evdev, xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse?

Old 01-01-2011, 03:56 AM
Hartmut Figge

meino.cramer@gmx.de:

> 1.) gpm and copy'n'paste on the console and under X11 works for me.

I need to emulate the middlemouse button by simultaneous pressing the
left and right mouse buttons. That stopped working under X11 and i had
to figure out a solution.

> 2.) my 10-evdev.conf is located under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

That's a possibilty, but configuration files should generally be located
under /etc, so /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf is a better way.

> 3.) The option I am using for the german keyboard layout is 'Option "xkb_layout" "de"'
> and it works.

Fine.

I had looked for my modifications into
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml.
This link should really have been mentioned for people like me, thrown
to xorg-server 1.9,2 from 1.7.7-r1.

> May it possible, that you have to recompile xf86-input-evdev, xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse?

Every time x11 changes i use 'emerge --oneshot $(qlist -IC x11-drivers)'.

> Best regards and a Happy New Year!!!

Same for you.

--
Hartmut

Old 01-01-2011, 04:17 AM

Hartmut Figge <h.figge@gmx.de> [11-01-01 06:04]:
> meino.cramer@gmx.de:
>
> > 1.) gpm and copy'n'paste on the console and under X11 works for me.
>
> I need to emulate the middlemouse button by simultaneous pressing the
> left and right mouse buttons. That stopped working under X11 and i had
> to figure out a solution.
>
> > 2.) my 10-evdev.conf is located under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
>
> That's a possibilty, but configuration files should generally be located
> under /etc, so /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf is a better way.
>
> > 3.) The option I am using for the german keyboard layout is 'Option "xkb_layout" "de"'
> > and it works.
>
> Fine.
>
> I had looked for my modifications into
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml.
> This link should really have been mentioned for people like me, thrown
> to xorg-server 1.9,2 from 1.7.7-r1.
>
> > May it possible, that you have to recompile xf86-input-evdev, xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse?
>
> Every time x11 changes i use 'emerge --oneshot $(qlist -IC x11-drivers)'.
>
> > Best regards and a Happy New Year!!!
>
> Same for you.
>
> --
> Hartmut

Hi Hartmut,

it seems you - as myself - not such a great fan of fireworks an endless
parties at Sylvester ???
...1.Januar and hacking the computer at this time...six o'clock in the
morning....

I have copied my /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d to /etc/X11 and have
restored the original file than in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/.
You are right: it is better to leave it untouched. When updateing
the chance is given, that it will be overwritten...

Is "Option-wise" the 1.8 upgrade guide complete or is it a list
of "commonly used" settings... ?

Keep hacking!
mcc

Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 AM
Hartmut Figge

meino.cramer@gmx.de:

> it seems you - as myself - not such a great fan of fireworks an endless
> parties at Sylvester ???

That's of no interest for me.

> Is "Option-wise" the 1.8 upgrade guide complete or is it a list
> of "commonly used" settings... ?

Ask others. *g*

--
Hartmut