Old 12-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Stroller

Default RAID6/ext4 for /?

On 31/12/2010, at 4:16pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I haven't seen much discussion of ext4. Are people using it?

Yeah, it seems pretty good. Anecdotally it seems stable enough, I don't see why it should be less so than ext3, now. Deletes are *much* faster than with ext3.

Stroller.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 31/12/2010, at 4:16pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> I haven't seen much discussion of ext4. Are people using it?
>
> Yeah, it seems pretty good. Anecdotally it seems stable enough, I don't see why it should be less so than ext3, now. Deletes are *much* faster than with ext3.
>
> Stroller.

Thanks Stroller. I saw a web page where Google announced this December
that they were going to be using it. I figured I might as well finally
get on board.

The next thing I need to understand is the initramfs stuff. My
existing RAID1 (md5 below, 3 disks) uses a 0.90 Super Block which get
auto-assembled by the kernel at boot. The new RAID6 (md3 below, 5
disks) uses Ver 1.2 which, as I understand it, won't get
auto-assembled and requires the initramfs. I'm currently going through
the Gentoo docs to learn about setting that up.

Cheers,
Mark

mark@c2stable ~ $ cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md6 : active raid1 sdc6[2] sdb6[1] sda6[0]
247416933 blocks super 1.1 [3/3] [UUU]

md3 : active raid6 sdb3[1] sdc3[2] sda3[0] sdd3[3] sde3[4]
157305168 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 16k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/5] [UUUUU]

md5 : active raid1 sdc5[2] sdb5[1] sda5[0]
52436032 blocks [3/3] [UUU]

unused devices: <none>
mark@c2stable ~ $

Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 18:41 on Friday 31 December 2010, Stroller did
opine thusly:

> On 31/12/2010, at 4:16pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > I haven't seen much discussion of ext4. Are people using it?
>
> Yeah, it seems pretty good. Anecdotally it seems stable enough, I don't see
> why it should be less so than ext3, now. Deletes are *much* faster than
> with ext3.

I get the same with ext4 on three machines:

Latest Ubuntu on the Acer notebook
This here gentoo notebook
Android Donut on the phone

Seems reliably enough - no problems yet after 1 full year. Nothing unusual
about my usage except the notebook compiles stuff almost constantly, is always
running three VMs at least and is hardly never switched off

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 18:41 on Friday 31 December 2010, Stroller did
> opine thusly:
>
>> On 31/12/2010, at 4:16pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> > I haven't seen much discussion of ext4. Are people using it?
>>
>> Yeah, it seems pretty good. Anecdotally it seems stable enough, I don't see
>> why it should be less so than ext3, now. Deletes are *much* faster than
>> with ext3.
>
> I get the same with ext4 on three machines:
>
> Latest Ubuntu on the Acer notebook
> This here gentoo notebook
> Android Donut on the phone
>
> Seems reliably enough - no problems yet after 1 full year. Nothing unusual
> about my usage except the notebook compiles stuff almost constantly, is always
> running three VMs at least and is hardly never switched off
>
> --
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Thanks Alan. That's good info.

As this is intended to be more or less a duplicate of the existing
system on this box, just placed on a new RAID6, I've opted not to do
the disk copy as per the thread this week. No LiveCD, I just followed
the Gentoo install from within a terminal on this box. It's flying
along with nearly everything done expect the new kernel. The holdup
there will be figuring out what an initramfs really is and what really
needs to be included in it. I'm following this:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs

which is reasonable, We'll see how it goes.

I will say that the install on this 5-disk RAID6 running ext4 seems
speedy compared to the 3-disk RAID1 running ext3 that I'm currently
using. Probably I'm just imagining that...

Cheers,
Mark

Old 12-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 23:18 on Friday 31 December 2010, Mark Knecht
did opine thusly:

> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:41 on Friday 31 December 2010,
> > Stroller did
> >
> > opine thusly:
> >>
> >> Yeah, it seems pretty good. Anecdotally it seems stable enough, I don't
> >> see why it should be less so than ext3, now. Deletes are *much* faster
> >> than with ext3.
> >
> > I get the same with ext4 on three machines:
> >
> > Latest Ubuntu on the Acer notebook
> > This here gentoo notebook
> > Android Donut on the phone
> >
> > Seems reliably enough - no problems yet after 1 full year. Nothing
> > unusual about my usage except the notebook compiles stuff almost
> > constantly, is always running three VMs at least and is hardly never
> > switched off
> >
> > --
> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>
> Thanks Alan. That's good info.
>
> As this is intended to be more or less a duplicate of the existing
> system on this box, just placed on a new RAID6, I've opted not to do
> the disk copy as per the thread this week. No LiveCD, I just followed
> the Gentoo install from within a terminal on this box. It's flying
> along with nearly everything done expect the new kernel. The holdup
> there will be figuring out what an initramfs really is and what really
> needs to be included in it. I'm following this:
>
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
>
> which is reasonable, We'll see how it goes.
>
> I will say that the install on this 5-disk RAID6 running ext4 seems
> speedy compared to the 3-disk RAID1 running ext3 that I'm currently
> using. Probably I'm just imagining that...

Maybe you do have observer bias.
Or maybe you bought new shiny *faster* disks :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 12-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 23:18 on Friday 31 December 2010, Mark Knecht
<SNIP>

>> I will say that the install on this 5-disk RAID6 running ext4 seems
>> speedy compared to the 3-disk RAID1 running ext3 that I'm currently
>> using. Probably I'm just imagining that...
>
> Maybe you do have observer bias.
> Or maybe you bought new shiny *faster* disks :-)

I vote for the former.

Same disks, just different partitions...

- Mark