Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Gary Golden

Default nvidia update problems

Merry Christmas!

I'm trying to update system, but stuck with the following message:

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.29, ebuild scheduled for merge)
pulled in by
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers required by (x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.9,
ebuild scheduled for merge)
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-100.14.09 required by
(gnome-extra/sensors-applet-2.2.4, installed)
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers required by
(media-video/nvidia-settings-195.36.24, installed)
(and 1 more)

I have no idea what that means. What should I do?

--
Gary Golden
Portage 2.1.9.25 (default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop/gnome, gcc-4.4.4, glibc-2.11.2-r3, 2.6.35-gentoo-r12 i686)
System uname: Linux-2.6.35-gentoo-r12-i686-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Duo_CPU_T9300_@_2.50GHz-with-gentoo-1.12.14
Timestamp of tree: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 07:30:01 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.1_p7
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.11-r1
dev-lang/python: 2.6.6-r1, 3.1.2-r4
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.1-r2
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.14-r1
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.4
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.65-r1
sys-devel/automake: 1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.20.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc: 3.4.6-r2, 4.4.4-r2
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool: 2.2.10
sys-devel/make: 3.81-r2
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.30-r1 (sys-kernel/linux-headers)
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/openvpn/easy-rsa /var/lib/hsqldb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/php/apache2-php5.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5.3/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs distlocks fixlafiles fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="ru"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi aim alsa apache2 bash-completion bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli colordiff connection-sharing consolekit cracklib crypt cscope cups curl curlwrappers cxx dbus dhcpcd djvu dri dts dvd dvdr eds emboss encode evo examples exif fam fbcon ffmpeg firefox flac fortran ftp fuse gconf gd gdbm gdu gif gnome gnome-keyring gnutls gpm gsm gstreamer gtk gzip hal hddtemp iconv icq idn ieee1394 imap innodb jabber jack java javascript jpeg kqemu lame lcms libnotify lirc lua lzo mad matroska matrox mikmod mime mmx mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg msn mtp mudflap musepack mysql mysqli nautilus ncurses networkmanager nls nptl nptlonly nvidia ogg opengl openmp pam pango pch pcmcia pcre pdf perl php png policykit portage ppds pppd pulseaudio python qt3support qt4 rdesktop readline rss sasl sdl session sharedmem smp sms sockets spell spl sqlite sqlite3 sse sse2 ssl startup-notification svg svga sysfs syslog tcpd theora tiff truetype udev unicode usb vhosts vim-syntax vnc vorbis wifi win32codecs wxwidgets x264 x86 xcb xml xorg xulrunner xv xvid xvmc yahoo zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="ru" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

Old 12-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:29:19 +0500, Gary Golden wrote:

> I have no idea what that means. What should I do?

Read the list archives, this was discussed and solved less than two days
ago.

Hint: Look for the thread with the subject
"<media-video/nvidia-settings-256.52" is blocking x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.29

--
Neil Bothwick

The careful application of terror is also a form of communication.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Friday 31 December 2010 11:56:05 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> "<media-video/nvidia-settings-256.52" is blocking
> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.29

So'm I. Ever since I upgraded nvidia-drivers to 260-19-29 I've had to
recompile it every time I boot the system.

This is weird. When I start the system, instead of the kdm login screen
I get a blinking cursor in the top-right of a blank screen. An emerge of
nvidia-drivers enables me to restart kdm and get a proper screen. This
is in spite of not having been able to unload the old nvidia module
because it was "in use".

Therefore I'm going to mask this version of nvidia-drivers and revert to
the previous version.

(No apologies for hijacking a vestigial thread.)

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Friday 31 December 2010 12:52:08 I wrote:

> When I start the system, instead of the kdm login screen I get a
> blinking cursor in the top-right of a blank screen.

Of course that should have been the top-left. Sorry.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:52 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Friday 31 December 2010 12:52:08 Peter Humphrey wrote:

> Therefore I'm going to mask this version of nvidia-drivers and revert
> to the previous version.

That made no difference. Nor did reverting to the previous kernel
revision. I noticed that xdm-setup was being run even though I had
rc_hotplug="!*" in /etc/rc.conf, so I stepped through a boot sequence
and prevented xdm-setup from running. Xdm then refused to start.

What is this xdm-setup?

Old 12-31-2010, 05:54 PM
walt

On 12/31/2010 04:52 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:

This is weird. When I start the system, instead of the kdm login screen
I get a blinking cursor in the top-right of a blank screen. An emerge of
nvidia-drivers enables me to restart kdm and get a proper screen. This
is in spite of not having been able to unload the old nvidia module
because it was "in use".

I've noticed that running the NVIDIA installation program manually puts
the resulting nvidia.ko in a different directory than when using emerge to
do the install.

So, if you've ever run the NVIDIA install program manually, you probably
have two different nvidia.ko files in /lib/modules, and the wrong one gets
loaded automatically at boot time. Re-emerging nvidia-drivers will build
*and* load the correct kernel module each time you do it.

May not be your problem but it's easy to check, at least.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 20:54 on Friday 31 December 2010, walt did
opine thusly:

> On 12/31/2010 04:52 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > This is weird. When I start the system, instead of the kdm login screen
> > I get a blinking cursor in the top-right of a blank screen. An emerge of
> > nvidia-drivers enables me to restart kdm and get a proper screen. This
> > is in spite of not having been able to unload the old nvidia module
> > because it was "in use".
>
> I've noticed that running the NVIDIA installation program manually puts
> the resulting nvidia.ko in a different directory than when using emerge to
> do the install.
>
> So, if you've ever run the NVIDIA install program manually, you probably
> have two different nvidia.ko files in /lib/modules, and the wrong one gets
> loaded automatically at boot time. Re-emerging nvidia-drivers will build
> *and* load the correct kernel module each time you do it.
>
> May not be your problem but it's easy to check, at least.

module-rebuild takes care of all that niceyl.

You only have to remember to run that one command, not all the individual out-
of-mainline modules you have installed.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Friday 31 December 2010 21:00:57 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 20:54 on Friday 31 December 2010,
> walt did opine thusly:
> > So, if you've ever run the NVIDIA install program manually, you
> > probably have two different nvidia.ko files in /lib/modules, and
> > the wrong one gets loaded automatically at boot time. Re-emerging
> > nvidia-drivers will build *and* load the correct kernel module
> > each time you do it.
> >
> > May not be your problem but it's easy to check, at least.

I didn't think I'd ever run the nVidia installation program, and on
checking I see one nvidia.ko for each kernel version I have installed,
so that isn't the problem.

> module-rebuild takes care of all that nicely.

And it wants to rebuild the module again, even though I only remerged it
yesterday.

Something is messing about with the nVidia module.

Thanks for the ideas, gents.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 12:36 on Saturday 01 January 2011, Peter
Humphrey did opine thusly:

> On Friday 31 December 2010 21:00:57 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 20:54 on Friday 31 December 2010,
> >
> > walt did opine thusly:
> > > So, if you've ever run the NVIDIA install program manually, you
> > > probably have two different nvidia.ko files in /lib/modules, and
> > > the wrong one gets loaded automatically at boot time. Re-emerging
> > > nvidia-drivers will build *and* load the correct kernel module
> > > each time you do it.
> > >
> > > May not be your problem but it's easy to check, at least.
>
> I didn't think I'd ever run the nVidia installation program, and on
> checking I see one nvidia.ko for each kernel version I have installed,
> so that isn't the problem.
>
> > module-rebuild takes care of all that nicely.
>
> And it wants to rebuild the module again, even though I only remerged it
> yesterday.
>
> Something is messing about with the nVidia module.

That's how module-rebuild works, it's not broken. It *will* rebuild
everything.

It can't rely on the normal version numbers and USE flags to know if something
needs updating, as the problem it is designed to solve is when you do a kernel
upgrade and leave yourself without the out-of-tree modules you need in that
new kernel version. If you use nvidia version X, then you need the version X
kernel modules in every /lib/modules/<kernel>/ you use.

So it just rebuilds everything every time.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Saturday 01 January 2011 20:26:11 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 12:36 on Saturday 01 January 2011,
> Peter Humphrey did opine thusly:
> > Something is messing about with the nVidia module.
>
> That's how module-rebuild works, it's not broken. It *will* rebuild
> everything.

Yes, I wasn't impugning module-rebuild. All the same, something does
appear to be messing about with the nVidia module.