Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Zeerak Mustafa Waseem

Default Calendar applications

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a lightweight calendar application that can do the following things:

Event handling (preferrably also a support for recurring events)
Notification of events
Handle several calendars at once (as in showing all calendars in one view and preferrably colour coded)
Import of other calendars (iCal)

I've been looking for an application that matches this but I can't seem to find any.

Hope you guys have some suggestions

--
Best Regards

Zeerak Waseem

Old 12-31-2010, 02:55 AM
Stroller

On 30/12/2010, at 11:22pm, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
> I'm looking for a lightweight calendar application that can do the following things:
>
> Event handling (preferrably also a support for recurring events)
> Notification of events
> Handle several calendars at once (as in showing all calendars in one view and preferrably colour coded)
> Import of other calendars (iCal)
>
> I've been looking for an application that matches this but I can't seem to find any.

Hi there,

I'm not being argumentative here, just curious: in what way doesn't Sunbird meet these requirements?

I'm more interested in calendaring servers (and unfortunately the choice of those is pretty dire) and using Apple iCal on MacOS as a front-end, but those sound like really basic requirements, and I'm surprised that any calendar doesn't meet them. iCal certainly meets them all (even with basic local storage), although I appreciate that's not much help to you.

Stroller.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Zeerak Mustafa Waseem

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 03:55:29AM +0000, Stroller wrote:

> On 30/12/2010, at 11:22pm, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
> > I'm looking for a lightweight calendar application that can do the following things:
> >
> > Event handling (preferrably also a support for recurring events)
> > Notification of events
> > Handle several calendars at once (as in showing all calendars in one view and preferrably colour coded)
> > Import of other calendars (iCal)
> >
> > I've been looking for an application that matches this but I can't seem to find any.
>
> Hi there,
>
> I'm not being argumentative here, just curious: in what way doesn't Sunbird meet these requirements?
>
> I'm more interested in calendaring servers (and unfortunately the choice of those is pretty dire) and using Apple iCal on MacOS as a front-end, but those sound like really basic requirements, and I'm surprised that any calendar doesn't meet them. iCal certainly meets them all (even with basic local storage), although I appreciate that's not much help to you.

Primarily because I tend to steer away from Mozilla products if I can (they just don't seem to feel right, somehow. (I know, great argument)). I absolutely wouldn't mind setting up a server and using some frontend, the question is just which front end. And when I set out to find calendar I really thought they were very basic requirements. My google-fu told me I was wrong.
But yeah, Sunbird meets the requirements, I'd just prefer to go down another road (if there is one).

--
Best Regards

Zeerak Waseem

Old 12-31-2010, 06:06 PM
walt

[...]

Have you tried Evolution? It's intended to be an open-source replacement for M$ Outlook.
It's a lot more than just a calendar client, though, so it's not lightweight..

Old 01-01-2011, 04:02 AM
Zeerak Mustafa Waseem

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:06:51AM -0800, walt wrote:
> On 12/31/2010 08:35 AM, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:

> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I'm not being argumentative here, just curious: in what way doesn't Sunbird meet these requirements?
> >>
> >> I'm more interested in calendaring servers (and unfortunately the choice of those is pretty dire) and using Apple iCal on MacOS as a front-end, but those sound like really basic requirements, and I'm surprised that any calendar doesn't meet them. iCal certainly meets them all (even with basic local storage), although I appreciate that's not much help to you.
> >>

> > Primarily because I tend to steer away from Mozilla products if I can (they just don't seem to feel right, somehow. (I know, great argument)). I absolutely wouldn't mind setting up a server and using some frontend, the question is just which front end. And when I set out to find calendar I really thought they were very basic requirements. My google-fu told me I was wrong.
> > But yeah, Sunbird meets the requirements, I'd just prefer to go down another road (if there is one).
>
> Have you tried Evolution? It's intended to be an open-source replacement for M$ Outlook.
> It's a lot more than just a calendar client, though, so it's not lightweight..

I was considering it, but the problem with evolution is that it does far more than I need it to. If I could strip away everything but the calendar I'd definately go for it.

--
Best Regards

Zeerak Waseem