Old 12-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Mick

Default Core i7 M620 power management problem

On Thursday 30 December 2010 02:56:05 Bill Longman wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com<paul.hartman%2Bgent oo@gmail.com>

> > In my kernel config on my i7, in the cpufreq sections I have this:
> >
> > #
> > # CPU Frequency scaling
> > #
> > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
> > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
> > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
> > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
> > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set
> > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
> > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
> > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
> > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
> > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
> > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
> > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
> > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
> > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y
> >
> > #
> > # CPUFreq processor drivers
> > #
> > # CONFIG_X86_PCC_CPUFREQ is not set
> > CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
> > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
> > # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
> > # CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD is not set
> >

> > I can send you my entire .config if you want to compare.
>
> Yes, mine is quite similar:
>
> # CPU Frequency scaling
> #
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND is not set

Did you try changing the default to CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND ?

Mick

Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Mick

On Thursday 30 December 2010 03:16:05 Bill Longman wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just a wild guess: are you running some desktop applet that manages the
> > cpu
> > frequency and is stuck on manual with a low setting?
> >
> > I have the i7 Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, which is supposedly go up to 2.8G with
> > turbo boost, but can't say that I have ever seen it going that high ...
> > not sure if
> > there's a setting somewhere I should tweak. This is from cpuinfo:
> >
> > =========================
> > $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > processor : 0
> > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> > cpu family : 6
> > model : 30
> > model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
> > stepping : 5
> > cpu MHz : 931.000
> > cache size : 6144 KB
> > physical id : 0
> > siblings : 8
> > core id : 0
> > cpu cores : 4
> > apicid : 0
> > initial apicid : 0
> > fpu : yes
> > fpu_exception : yes
> > cpuid level : 11
> > wp : yes
> > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> > mca cmov
> > pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
> > rdtscp lm
> > constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc
> > aperfmperf
> > pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1
> > sse4_2
> > popcnt lahf_lm ida dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
> > bogomips : 3192.42
> > clflush size : 64
> > cache_alignment : 64
> > address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> > power management:
> > =========================
> > As you can see power management is also blank.
> >
> > These are my frequencies:
> >
> > $ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_*
> > 1597000 1596000 1463000 1330000 1197000 1064000 931000
> > conservative userspace powersave ondemand performance
> > 931000
> > acpi-cpufreq
> > ondemand
> > 1597000
> > 931000
> > <unsupported>
> >
> > PS. Any ideas what makes that turbo thingy kick in?
>
> The only thing that runs at boot is cpufrequtils and here is the config for
> it:

I do not have cpufreutils installed, but use the ondemand governor as a
default.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/227247

> I can see gkrellm get its governor changed but I cannot override the max
> freq. How can I tell what the BIOS is reporting? Here is what dmidecode
> tells me about the CPU:
>
> Handle 0x0004, DMI type 4, 42 bytes
> Processor Information
> Socket Designation: CPU 1
> Type: Central Processor
> Family: <OUT OF SPEC>
> Manufacturer: Intel
> ID: 52 06 02 00 FF FB EB BF
> Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M 620 @ 2.67GH
> Voltage: 0.0 V
> External Clock: 533 MHz
> Max Speed: 4000 MHz
> Current Speed: 2666 MHz <-- interesting!-->
> Upgrade: Other
> L1 Cache Handle: 0x0005
> L2 Cache Handle: 0x0006
> L3 Cache Handle: 0x0007
> Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
> Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
> Part Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
> Core Count: 2
> Core Enabled: 1
> Thread Count: 2
> Characteristics:
> 64-bit capable

This is what my i7 Q is showing:

Handle 0x0005, DMI type 4, 42 bytes
Processor Information
Socket Designation: U2E1
Type: Central Processor
Family: <OUT OF SPEC>
Manufacturer: Intel
ID: E5 06 01 00 FF FB EB BF
Version: CPU Version
Voltage: 3.3 V
External Clock: 133 MHz
Max Speed: 4096 MHz <--my max speed with turbo should be 2.8GHz?-->
Current Speed: 1600 MHz <--my max speed without turbo-->
Upgrade: ZIF Socket
L1 Cache Handle: 0x0006
L2 Cache Handle: 0x0007
L3 Cache Handle: 0x0008
Serial Number: Not Specified
Asset Tag: Not Specified
Part Number: Not Specified
Core Count: 4
Core Enabled: 4
Thread Count: 8
Characteristics:
64-bit capable

My turbo reading leads me to think that the dmidecode is not necessarily
reporting what the CPU can do.
Mick

Old 12-30-2010, 07:59 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 30.12.2010 04:16, schrieb Bill Longman:

> The only thing that runs at boot is cpufrequtils and here is the config
> for it:

[..]

Bill, just for a check, does it scale correctly if you boot from a live-cd?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Bill Longman

On 12/30/2010 12:59 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 30.12.2010 04:16, schrieb Bill Longman:
>
>> The only thing that runs at boot is cpufrequtils and here is the config
>> for it:
> [..]
>
> Bill, just for a check, does it scale correctly if you boot from a live-cd?

That's a very good question, Stefan. I'll give it a try.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Bill Longman

On 12/29/2010 11:59 PM, Mick wrote:
> Did you try changing the default to CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND ?

Yes, Mick, that was my first governor. I thought I'd try to see if it
would behave at top speed if I set it to "performance". No luck, though.
And I can easily change the governor. It swaps out to any of the
installed governors with aplomb, although I have to do this manually. I
can't change governors from gkrellm, for instance. If I change it
manually, the new governor shows up there, but it's read-only so to speak.

I don't know if the idle controller has anything to do with this but
here is what my idle controller looks like:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuidle
08:43:14# ls -l;cat current_*
total 0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Dec 30 08:43 current_driver
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Dec 30 08:43 current_governor_ro
intel_idle
menu

Old 12-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Bill Longman

On 12/30/2010 12:21 AM, Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 30 December 2010 03:16:05 Bill Longman wrote:
>
> This is what my i7 Q is showing:
>
> Handle 0x0005, DMI type 4, 42 bytes
> Processor Information
> Socket Designation: U2E1
> Type: Central Processor
> Family: <OUT OF SPEC>
> Manufacturer: Intel
> ID: E5 06 01 00 FF FB EB BF
> Version: CPU Version
> Voltage: 3.3 V
> External Clock: 133 MHz
> Max Speed: 4096 MHz <--my max speed with turbo should be 2.8GHz?-->
> Current Speed: 1600 MHz <--my max speed without turbo-->
> Upgrade: ZIF Socket
> L1 Cache Handle: 0x0006
> L2 Cache Handle: 0x0007
> L3 Cache Handle: 0x0008
> Serial Number: Not Specified
> Asset Tag: Not Specified
> Part Number: Not Specified
> Core Count: 4
> Core Enabled: 4
> Thread Count: 8
> Characteristics:
> 64-bit capable
>
> My turbo reading leads me to think that the dmidecode is not necessarily
> reporting what the CPU can do.
I've always laughed at the shoddy workmanship of DMI. I don't know the
percentage of boards with "To Be Filled By O.E.M." in them, but most of
it is useful information. Here's another snapshot of idle stats, so it
looks like it's handling the idle routines okay:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle
09:05:05# for a in {0..3}; do echo === state$a ===; ls state$a;cat
state$a/*; done
=== state0 ===
desc latency name power time usage
CPUIDLE CORE POLL IDLE
0
C0
4294967295
24712609
9234
=== state1 ===
desc latency name power time usage
MWAIT 0x00
3
NHM-C1
4294967294
530943161
2079744
=== state2 ===
desc latency name power time usage
MWAIT 0x10
20
NHM-C3
4294967293
4419507305
4950330
=== state3 ===
desc latency name power time usage
MWAIT 0x20
200
NHM-C6
4294967292
49546556808
7879505

It still points to that "max cpu freq" as the culprit.

I don't recall what kicks in the turbo mode on the i7's. I thought it
was simply bumping the speed of one core if it could keep the other
core(s) in the deep sleep state. So, a single threaded process would get
a speed improvement. If your other cores were running you'd be out of
luck. Could be wrong. Brain's been running about half a century now, so
it's wearing out.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Bill Longman

On 12/30/2010 12:59 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 30.12.2010 04:16, schrieb Bill Longman:
>
>> The only thing that runs at boot is cpufrequtils and here is the config
>> for it:
>
> [..]
>
> Bill, just for a check, does it scale correctly if you boot from a live-cd?

Well, if I change the BIOS to turn off SpeedStep, it goes to 2.67
GHz.....works great!

Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Mick

On Thursday 30 December 2010 16:45:07 Bill Longman wrote:
> On 12/29/2010 11:59 PM, Mick wrote:
> > Did you try changing the default to CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND
> > ?
>
> Yes, Mick, that was my first governor. I thought I'd try to see if it
> would behave at top speed if I set it to "performance". No luck, though.
> And I can easily change the governor. It swaps out to any of the
> installed governors with aplomb, although I have to do this manually. I
> can't change governors from gkrellm, for instance. If I change it
> manually, the new governor shows up there, but it's read-only so to speak.

Is there a plugin for gkrellm that does governors? Can't find it on mine.

> I don't know if the idle controller has anything to do with this but
> here is what my idle controller looks like:
>
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuidle
> 08:43:14# ls -l;cat current_*
> total 0
> -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Dec 30 08:43 current_driver
> -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Dec 30 08:43 current_governor_ro
> intel_idle
> menu

Although different CPU my cpuidle is exactly as shown above.
Mick

Old 12-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Bill Longman

On 12/30/2010 09:55 AM, Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 30 December 2010 16:45:07 Bill Longman wrote:
>> On 12/29/2010 11:59 PM, Mick wrote:
>>> Did you try changing the default to CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND
>>> ?
>>
>> Yes, Mick, that was my first governor. I thought I'd try to see if it
>> would behave at top speed if I set it to "performance". No luck, though.
>> And I can easily change the governor. It swaps out to any of the
>> installed governors with aplomb, although I have to do this manually. I
>> can't change governors from gkrellm, for instance. If I change it
>> manually, the new governor shows up there, but it's read-only so to speak.
>
> Is there a plugin for gkrellm that does governors? Can't find it on mine.

Yes, the CPUfreq plugin is in x11-plugins/gkrellm-cpufreq

Old 12-30-2010, 09:44 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2010-12-30 18:54, schrieb Bill Longman:
> On 12/30/2010 12:59 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>> Bill, just for a check, does it scale correctly if you boot from a live-cd?
>
> Well, if I change the BIOS to turn off SpeedStep, it goes to 2.67
> GHz.....works great!

good to hear. So it is solved?