Old 02-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default core-2 advise

On Monday 04 February 2008, James wrote:
> If so, and *I wanted to convert this machine to 64 bit Gentoo OS,
> then I'd just edit the make.conf :
>
> CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu" to
> CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
>
> and 'emerge -e world'

32 to 64 bit.

The correct method is to reinstall.

Apparently it's not as simple as "emerge -e world" as that would involve
building a 64 bit toolchain and system libs with a 32 bit compiler,
which doesn't work. If I have the details wrong, I'm sure someone will
come along soon and correct me.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Juul Spies

Alan McKinnon schreef:

If so, and I wanted to convert this machine to 64 bit Gentoo OS,
then I'd just edit the make.conf :

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu" to
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"

and 'emerge -e world'

32 to 64 bit.

The correct method is to reinstall.

Apparently it's not as simple as "emerge -e world" as that would involve
building a 64 bit toolchain and system libs with a 32 bit compiler,
which doesn't work. If I have the details wrong, I'm sure someone will
come along soon and correct me.

Indeed reinstall is the best method of upgrading. I'm also not familiar
with details but apparently it is not as easy as changing CHOST en
remerge world.

--
Juul Spies

Old 02-04-2008, 03:22 PM
James

Juul Spies <sjakie <at> ouweouwe.nl> writes:

> Alan McKinnon schreef:

> Indeed reinstall is the best method of upgrading. I'm also not familiar
> with details but apparently it is not as easy as changing CHOST en
> remerge world.

Thanks guys, I guess it'll have to wait for now.....

James